Keeping feet dry?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
tippy

Keeping feet dry?

Post by tippy »

So in just over two weeks I head off to JOG. Everything is pretty much sorted, but one thing that is bothering me - I hate wet feet.
I intend to take only one pair of shoes, I won't be clipping in so I'll be taking some Salomon GoreTex lined shoes. Now these are great....until it rains when the water runs straight down my legs into the shoes making nice swimming pools for the remainder of the ride. How have others dealt with this? Getting them dry afterwards is a none starter, they take days to dry out.
Apart from wrapping feet in plastic bags what tips do others have to tackle this common problem?
Vantage

Re: Keeping feet dry?

Post by Vantage »

I also came up with the novel idea of wearing plastic bags over my feet to keep them dry in rain. It worked sort off. The rain was kept out but my feet were soaked in sweat that could not escape so bad idea I'm afraid.
One option is Gore-tex socks.
Another is water proofing agent although it's effect can vary considerably according to the fabric it's used on. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikwax-Tx-Direc ... d_sim_sg_2
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

problem is, I think whatever you do, water will run down your legs soak in that way.

take a pair of easily carried lightweight sandals for evening wear, buy a newspaper on days it is wet and stuff shoes with pages of this, change pages during the evening and certainly before going to bed, shoes may not be fully dry next morning but certainly far more comfy than putting sodden shoes back on.

Alternative wear shoes over the evening and to the pub(?) they usually dry a certain amount by themselves over the evening.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Use walking Gaiters that fit to the boot and go under over trousers. You can get gaiters that are breathable.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Mike777

Post by Mike777 »

Hi

I had same issue on my May 2012 JOGLE trip.

I took one pair of Karmoor mid boots/shoes and wanted to keep them dry. Most cycling overshoes would not fit so I ended up getting these type of things (not the exact ones)...(for motorbikes)

Very light and only had to use them a couple of time and they worked well

http://www.brandedbiker.co.uk/Weise-Mot ... -Boots-703

Regards

Mike
Si

Post by Si »

IrishBill76 wrote:I also came up with the novel idea of wearing plastic bags over my feet to keep them dry in rain. It worked sort off. The rain was kept out but my feet were soaked in sweat that could not escape so bad idea I'm afraid.
One option is Gore-tex socks.
Another is water proofing agent although it's effect can vary considerably according to the fabric it's used on. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikwax-Tx-Direc ... d_sim_sg_2

Not that novel - I've been doing it for years :D

However, I use two pairs of thin socks with the plastic bag between them. I also make holes in the bottom of the plastic bag. This is my winter bad weather MTBing solution (or at least it was until I got goretex socks) so I don't know how sweaty it'd get in the summer.
CharlieS

Post by CharlieS »

Apparently if you stuff your shoes with disposable nappies @ the end of the day's riding they dry out quite well overnight. I am told this is a 'mountain biker' tip/trick. :roll:

However I only learnt that trick after my JOGLE during which I used overshoes and then used insulating tape to seal them to my calfs. OK so I did have a hairless band when I removed it but at least I had almost dry feet :o Almost dry as we had such torrential rain cars pulled over while the storm raged and you do get some ingress though the seams and up through the SPD clip holes. I am sure the same would work for waterproof socks

I have read that others simple ride in sandals to avoid this being an issue however sandals are a personal hate but as said that is personal.:wink:
Russcoles

Post by Russcoles »

Alternatively, only ride on sunny days. This gives the added bonus of several weeks rest between each days ride :D
vorsprung

Post by vorsprung »

Goretex MTB shoes + really good overshoes like BBB Waterflex will keep the water out from the down direction.
The only way to keep it from running down the leg and filling up the shoes is to have water proof trousers which are wider than the shoe and have them over the top
Of course the trouble is that trousers like this are too warm
For shorter rides ( say 2 or 3 days ) letting your shoes get wet on day 1 and then hoping it doesn't rain so much and wearing water proof socks on the latter days works. Dunno what would be appropriate for Lejog though
tippy

Post by tippy »

Thanks for all the tips. I think some kind of overshoe / gater + waterproof socks could be a reasonable combination. I don't really want to take the waterproof trousers I'm trying to keep the pannier weight down and struggling with that at the moment. Can someone point me at a good model/pair of the socks? I looked online but its not so clear as to the right length/type.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Don't try. Get sandals that take SPD cleats. The water runs in, then out again.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think Audax67 has the right idea. If you are riding in what passes for Summer, there's more to be gained by having footwear that drains well rather than trying to keep the rain out. Apart from anything else, i don't think there's anything made to be sufficiently breathable to avoid condensation in warm, wet weather. Wet socks can be a pain so not wearing them on wet days is worth trying. I think having at least one well-protected pair of dry socks in reserve is good if the rain eventually stops because they make your feet feel nice and dry.

(I speak as somebody who goes to all sorts of lengths to keep dry feet in winter.)
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

That said, I sold mine. Shimano's sandal sizes go up in twos: their 42 had my toes sticking out so I bought the 44, but the sole had the contours in the wrong places for a size 43 foot and hurt after 80+k. Dunno why they did that, their shoe sizes go up one at a time. Eejits.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Gearoidmuar

There is a solution...

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I sent this as a letter to the CTC magazine (now Cycle) some years ago and they published it.

It works.

I got the idea from looking at a drysuit in a diving shop.

1. Get Goretex, sealskins socks.
2. Get a cheap pair of medium Marigold kitchen gloves. Cut off fingers and thumb. Then pull this up over your foot and lower leg.
Put socks on. Pull glovecuff down over top of sock. This will keep out almost everything. If you like you can put vaseline on your leg beforehand to improve the seal. I've tried it a few times and it works.
margyparker

Post by margyparker »

Poo bags - my husbands feet/ shoes got very wet after a downpour. He took off the shoes and socks - put dry socks on - put poo bags over both socks and then put his shoes on. Poo bags = nappy bags cheap as chips and very light. :o