Traffic free end to end possibly

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Vantage

Traffic free end to end possibly

Post by Vantage »

This came up on my facebook thingy today and thought I'd share for anyone who needs it.
http://travellingtwo.com/12556
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
robgul

Re: Traffic free end to end possibly

Post by robgul »

Simon Berry endeavoured to ride LEJOG in about 2007 using the NCN routes wherever possible (notwithstanding the deviations to the logical direction) - IIRC he gave up after a week or so having got so far behind schedule and continued with a realistic route. Reasons were the usual ones : poor surfaces, barriers, lack of signing, breaks in the route etc.

Simon's previous effort in 2006 is in Journal No 275 at www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk - or http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk/index. ... &Itemid=61

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
SJXT

Post by SJXT »

Thanks for posting that IrishBill76. It's a good link.

It bears out what I've said before: anyone keen on the idea of LEJOG/JOGLE but not keen on cycling with traffic can, with a pit of judicious planning, easily put together a logical and very enjoyable and very scenic route using off-road and minor road options that can easily be covered without undue effort over circa 2 1/2 to 3 weeks, to make for a magnificent tour.

If, like many, you only have 10 days to 2 weeks I'd suggest that maybe for most people these sorts or routes would probably make for hard going (and/or you'd be going so fast you would miss a lot of scenery along the way, that kind of obviates the point of them), and you might therefore be better off with the type of route posted by Mick F and others on the threads that are targeted at that time frame. For most people will better balance the traffic/scenery/time constraint equation over a 10 day - 2 week period. But, with just a bare few more days, these other type of off-road/minor road routes become very, very practicable. No attracted to this sort of cycling one should have doubt about that.

Responding to Robgul's points about the NCN routes - "poor surfaces, barriers, lack of signing, breaks in the route etc." - I'd just say all of these issues are easily soluble these days with a GPS and some pre-trip research on any route you are considering. Not least research on these threads which contain a wealth of detail on these kinds of route and the different options, which off-road routes are good, which not so good, which have good surfaces, and which not, etc etc. For example, I posted our own account and GPS routes earlier in the year - http://end2endbike.wordpress.com/author/end2endbike/ - but there are plenty of other examples you can find on the threads as well.

Sure, if you slavishly tried to link (or as near as possible) all NCN routes End2End you'd have a meandering route with some poor stretches. But why would you do that? Equally, if you were in certain parts of the world - between Bridgnorth and Ironbridge, for example - even if you were on the lightest of one-piece carbon road bikes you would need either (i) to be positively insane or (ii) to have a particularly strong theological objection to off-road cycling not to use the NCN route when the surface is superb and the line much more logical and quicker than the road alternatives.

Oh yes - and it goes without saying you'd only do this type of route if it is the type of cycling you enjoy. It's absolutely not my intention to push one way of doing End2End over another. Fast or slow, on road or off road - different strokes for different folks. All I want to do is reinforce that if this is the sort of cycling you enjoy, and in particular if you really, really don't like traffic, it's perfectly possible to string together a great and logical End2End route that will take most people just a few more days more than the norm.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Me and Mrs Mick F have considered walking End2End.
Considering the title of the OP, it must be possible to do it on traffic free roads and paths. Given 8 or 9 weeks to walk it, a route must be easily found - I say "easily" but perhaps not easy - but with some thought it should be easy.

If one was to walk it, one could take all manner of routes to make it quiet and scenic. Therefore, you can cycle it the same.

This has got me thinking .......................... :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Tacascarow

Post by Tacascarow »

Mick F wrote:Me and Mrs Mick F have considered walking End2End.

A friend of mine is doing just that now.
& busking along the way to pay for his board & keep.
Set off from Landsend this Monday.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent! :D
1,000miles at 20miles per day will take 50days. 7weeks should do it, but you'll be worn out.

One heck of a walk, but one heck of an achievement. Me and Mrs Mick F would do it far slower than 7weeks and make a whole summer out of it.

Pipe dreams for the future.
Mick F. Cornwall
irc

Post by irc »

Mick F wrote:Excellent! :D
1,000miles at 20miles per day will take 50days. 7weeks should do it, but you'll be worn out.

One heck of a walk, but one heck of an achievement. Me and Mrs Mick F would do it far slower than 7weeks and make a whole summer out of it.

Pipe dreams for the future.

Nice blog from someone who did it over a few years a bit at a time. A nice off road route. About 120 days at his pace.

http://www.jbutler.org.uk/e2e/

Another article from someone who did it in one go.

http://www.mayfair.u-net.com/

I've toyed with the idea. 100 miles a week at 16-17 miles a day with 1 rest day a week. So 12 - 14 weeks depending whether walking 6 days a week got me fitter or broke me down. A pipe dream for me just now as well though.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Wouldn't it be nice if people with local knowledge all along the route mapped out a series of linked quiet scenic and interesting routes all the way using a shared Bikeroutetoaster account? This would encourage people like me who like quiet scenic and interesting rides to do LEJOG. I nominate Niggle for South Cornwall and Mickf for North Cornwall for a start. Others could add alternative routes so there is a choice.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Good idea al-yrpal.
I've no doubt there would be endless headaches with joining one section up with another and arguements/discussions on routes between cyclists in their own backyard, but definately a good idea indeed :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
plasticfantastic

Post by plasticfantastic »

Yes, good idea al-yrpal. I'll be setting off on 7th July with my 14-year-old son to do a 20 day scenic LeJog (averaging 50 miles a day). The route is planned, but it'd be nice to know if we're passing close to 'not to be missed' sights, events, museums etc. Mind you, part of what I like about cycle touring is not planning too much, getting a bit lost, asking for directions, meeting locals, and stumbling across the 'not to be missed' that other people would normally miss.

James
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

al_yrpal wrote: .......... I nominate Niggle for South Cornwall and Mickf for North Cornwall for a start. Others could add alternative routes so there is a choice.
Good idea, but I think all the info is there.

All it would need is for someone to correlate it all and get the links into one place. I have dozens of routes on my BRT account, and refer to the best of them almost weekly on here.

It's the "quiet" and "traffic free" routes that could be the sticking point for me. It's not my style to ride on routes like that, but I'll give it some thought to see if I can pick one out. The route suggested by Jeremy Bond on another thread is a case in point. This route uses roads I've been on but it also includes the Camel Trail which I haven't been on.
From Mitchell you take the side road to St Enoder, Fraddon and Indian Queens. From there I would take the Goss Moor cyclepath which was the old A30. This is mainly traffic free and takes you to Victoria.
From Victoria I would head to Inchs, Withielgoose Mills and Threewaters. At Boscarne I would cycle on the Camel Trail which is a disused railway line (so it’s flat and no traffic). This line takes you pass Bodmin and you end up at Blisland on Bodmin Moor. I would then follow the NCN to Hallworthy. Turn right on the A395 and then next left towards Egloskerry which will take you to Launceston and from their onto the old A30 which will take you out of Cornwall.
Sounds a bit too "involved" for me. I'm more of a direct route sort of chap.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

plasticfantastic wrote:Yes, good idea al-yrpal. I'll be setting off on 7th July with my 14-year-old son to do a 20 day scenic LeJog (averaging 50 miles a day). The route is planned, but it'd be nice to know if we're passing close to 'not to be missed' sights, events, museums etc. Mind you, part of what I like about cycle touring is not planning too much, getting a bit lost, asking for directions, meeting locals, and stumbling across the 'not to be missed' that other people would normally miss.

James

+1. Thats exactly what I love too... Just bumbling along, a bit like ratty and mole in that little boat.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Mick F wrote:Me and Mrs Mick F have considered walking End2End.
Considering the title of the OP, it must be possible to do it on traffic free roads and paths. Given 8 or 9 weeks to walk it, a route must be easily found - I say "easily" but perhaps not easy - but with some thought it should be easy.

If one was to walk it, one could take all manner of routes to make it quiet and scenic. Therefore, you can cycle it the same.

This has got me thinking .......................... :D

It's called doing a Barbara Moore Mick.
Jeremy Bond

Post by Jeremy Bond »

The route suggested by Jeremy Bond on another thread is a case in point. This route uses roads I've been on but it also includes the Camel Trail which I haven't been on...Sounds a bit too "involved" for me. I'm more of a direct route sort of chap.

I am honoured that the famous Mick F is advertising my route, can we call this Jeremy’s Passage!

I used this route when I did JOGLE in May 2011 and I thought it was great. I have tried doing the route going through Newquay, Wadebridge and Camelford in 2009 while cycling to Hastings, and I find the roads busy and a little hilly in places. Jeremy Passage :lol: is almost traffic free and I believe a lot more scenic especially on the Camel Trail and joining the National Cycle Network over Bodmin Moor. It's only about five miles longer than Mick's direct route, but it is so much pettier!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D :D

I'll see if I can pick it out on BikeRouteToaster. Off out shortly, I'll have a play later.
Mick F. Cornwall