A9 cycle path S of Newtonmore

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
birkhead

A9 cycle path S of Newtonmore

Post by birkhead »

hi LEJoGers
this news has come via CTCS from Sustrans.
Hopefully the first item will be completed before too many of you LEJogers arrive on the scene, but the second item will present an obstruction through the summer, so please note the phone # and plan accordingly.
Mark

Good News
Scotland Transerv on behalf of Transport Scotland are going to resurface 1.7km of cycle path south of Dalwhinnie. (At last!) Work starts in January for about 6 weeks. There will be some minor disruption to cyclists, but we don’t expect many in January or February. Hopefully, this work will make the route more attractive to all cyclists and reduce complaints about it.

Bad News
The dual carriageway is being extended on the A9 between Crubenmore and Glentruim, south of Newtonmore. The cycle path will be within the site boundary and therefore will be closed. Cyclists will have to phone for transport to take them from one end to another. The works started on 1 November and are due to be complete by the end of August 2011. This is a major inconvenience for cyclists as, apart from the shuttle bus, the only alternative is to cycle on the A9.

We were not advised of these works and neither were the Cairngorms National Park, but there’s not much we can do now apart from put information on our website and let people know through as many channels as we can. Some more information from the contractors.

· John Paul Construction (JPC) have closed the existing cycle at Crubenmore and erected Sign boards at the Crubenmore junction and the Glentruim ( Laggan) Junction advising the cyclists to contact the following number for transportation from either end of the works. For reference the number is as follows ‘ 07818 567618’. Once contacted John Paul Construction will arrange Kingussie Taxis to collect the cyclists by shuttle bus.

Please circulate to anyone you think may be interested or affected.
rualexander

Re: A9 cycle path S of Newtonmore

Post by rualexander »

birkhead wrote:The dual carriageway is being extended on the A9 between Crubenmore and Glentruim, south of Newtonmore. The cycle path will be within the site boundary and therefore will be closed. Cyclists will have to phone for transport to take them from one end to another. The works started on 1 November and are due to be complete by the end of August 2011. This is a major inconvenience for cyclists as, apart from the shuttle bus, the only alternative is to cycle on the A9.

No, there is another alternative, you can take the A889 from Dalwhinnie and then either the minor road at Catlodge to Glentruim or continue to Laggan and take the A86 to Newtonmore, all relatively quiet roads compared to the A9.
Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman »

It is not to clear from the TransportScotland website but I think that the Glentruim junction may be within the fold of the road works, so the lane might be best avoided and the Laggan Road taken instead. However and rather interestingly, the website also says, The scheme also requires the re-routing of sections of National Cycle Network Route 7 adjacent to the trunk road works. . So perhaps in addition to the shuttle bus which has to be put in place irrespective of the NCN route, the contractors have a planned and agreed diversion. Look out for signs on the day I guess.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm not absolutely familiar with up there, but from what I can remember coming south from Newtonmore you cross a bridge that has bollards and traffic lights, then follow the Old A9 alongside the New A9 and at Etteridge you peel off onto the General Wade's Military Road to take you to Dalwhinnie.

You cross the railway at a junction turning left into Dalwhinnie, go through the village and then take the Old A9 cycle path up to Drumochter.
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=185049
This is my exact course from May this year. Zoom in and see where I went.

What is going on?
What is missing?
Mick F. Cornwall
Ron

Post by Ron »

There has been some clarification from Transport Scotland.
There will be no ban on cycling through the road works, but the NCN will be closed for the duration of the contract and cyclists may opt for the shuttle taxi service if they feel uncomfortable about cycling on the A9 in order to bypass the closed section of cycle route.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

There was a little bit about this on Out of Doors on Radio Scotland on Saturday (12th feb). I've just got round to listening to it on Listen Again. Because the road is being duelled, there will be a central barrier which prevent people using Wades road from crossing at the current crossing point. Transport Scotland seem to think there was extensive consultation about the proposals but nobody else seems to recollect any consultation.
It's available on Listen Again for one more day. It's about 7 minutes into the programme.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Jeremy Bond

Post by Jeremy Bond »

Our JOGLE adventure begins Tuesday. We will be collecting our bikes from a bike shop in Wick (we used Parcelforce to post them up North) and we will be cycling to JOG. If you want to follow us, we are going to try and keep a daily account of our adventures on http://tccjogle.blogspot.com

This forum has be great in planning our route and I have been reading everyone's comments over the last eighteen months getting ideas of where to go and what route to take.

I was just wondering if someone could give me an update on the road works on the A9 cycle path south of Newtonmore. Is it still unpassable for bikes?
Ron

Post by Ron »

Jeremy Bond wrote:I was just wondering if someone could give me an update on the road works on the A9 cycle path south of Newtonmore. Is it still unpassable for bikes?

I have not heard of any change since my post of Dec 19 on this thread.