Job Done! Post -mortem

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
mill4six

Job Done! Post -mortem

Post by mill4six »

Just returned from our LEJOG, Fantastic experience, mostly went like clockwork a big relief after all the planning. Training got me up to 100 miles a week in the 3 weeks before the off, then we took the train to Penzance. This was a bank holiday weekend and even though we had booked our bikes months in advance it took stand up rows with station staff to get all the team finally assembled in Penzance. We played by the rules, so should the train companies, if they policed the system properly there would be spaces for those who had booked. Well done to Steve for standing his ground! A quick run to Land's end for photos and on to the B&B for the first night. Oh no a double room! I'm sure I said a twin when I booked. I don't usually share a bed on the first night but needs must, sorry Steve. Took the North Cornish coast road, stunningly scenic but a bit of a killer hill wise. We thought it worth it but later in the season the traffic can't be funny so be warned. South westerlies and sun helped us on our way but we were nearly scuppered by a beer and pie festival near ST Ives. Self control won out and we continued on. Treyarnon to Exeter was a long day, we only just got to the pub in time for food, truly knackered. They say the first 3 days are hardest Getting to Bath was no exception, thank god for the following wind. The sole pucture of the trip got me on the Somerset levels. A shorter run to Abergavenny revealed the Welsh drivers to be worse than the Devonians who exceeded the daft antics of the Cornish. After this things improved a little till we reached the Southern uplands anyway! The Gospel pass to Hay on Wye over the Black Mountains was stunning with a hooligan descent down the other side, apologies to the 2 young ladies walking in the road who were so suddenly confronted by 5 bikes doing 40mph. The longest day was from Bridges to Eccleston, 108 miles with Runcorn and Warrington to deal with via the Ship canal but we were in good shape if tired. Continuing sun and SW breeze had me wondering how long our luck could hold. The lakes were wonderful but when we reached Windermere we'd missed the last ferry. Severe begging and amazingly they agreed to take us, the cost? 50p each!! To cap it all thay donated a fiver to our charity, wonderful people, we didn't have another 20 miles in us.Over the Southern uplands and up to Ayr the wind obliged turning Easterly to speed us on our way. Great views of Arran and the most amazing ice cream at Nardini's in Largs. Inveraray was just charming and the George a fantastic pub with great food and real ales, we treated ourselves to some posh grub. The following day the Easterly breeze was not as useful and the traffic on the A82 was a real nightmare towards Fort William, really dangerous, avoid it if you can we arrived in Laggan late so we decided to eat before checking into the hostel. Only just in time to persuade the host of the Eagle a barge-pub-bunkhouse on the canal to rustle up saussage egg beans and chips and 3 pints of red highlander MMmmm. An amazing boat great for a drink. Most restaurants and food pubs in Scotland seemed to take orders only up till 8:30 or 9 if you're lucky, something to consider if you plan a long day or have an unplanned one! The ex YHA now independent is the Great Glen Hostel it's run by the same people and is highly reccomended. Very friendly, clean and clearly had some money spent on it. Free internet in the rooms too, fantastic. Carbisdale Castle is the most impressive YHA I've seen and worth the slight detour. Sadly though no alcohol so we had a beerless night although it wasn't a great hardship as we were worn out from battling the east wind all day, fell asleep immediately. By now my wife had arrived from Inverness with a big car and bike rack, it was a joy to see her again but miserable to spend the night in dorms. Woke the next day to rain and an Easterly gale, oh dear!! We took a shortcut to the A9 straight over the moor and made very slow headway. By luchtime at 2 O'clock we were in a bad way with 55 miles still to go. Then came terrible Helmsdale and Briadale nasty nasty climbs for weary legs, the full frontal attack by the wind was incessant, we formed a line taking it in turns to brazen it out at the front struggling to make 9 miles per hour even though my wife took our lugage in the car, this was turning into a very late one. Desperately we turned inland to Watten a brilliant decision, out of the wind we blasted 13 miles in no time then we had to turn North East again but with hedgerows and hills to afford a little protection we continued to make progress. Finally at half past 8 after 12 hours we rolled up to the Hostel unanimously agreeing to save the last 2 miles and photos till morning. Cooked a big bolognese and opened a bottle of single malt. Packing the bikes up the next day in a desolate car park at the signpost we all got wet and mild hypothermia. In the car heater on max, we got down to Inverness just in time for the flight home. Saw some very bedraggled cyclists coming the other way laden with panniers, poor sods but for us it was over. Wife and I stayed one more night in a romantic hotel the Invergarry hotel in Invergarry excellent food and good value, then flew home today. Awesome experience, Would I do it again? No I'll do something else, North Cape anyone? :D
Finally we were lucky,we rode to the extreme of our endurance every day and nearly didn't make it on the last day because things turned nasty. Plan a few less miles than you are capable of each day and keep a little in reserve. Having said that we got away with it! Bum is a bit sore though!!!!

Sat 2nd May Kalynack B&B St Just 01736 787633 7/10
Sun 3rd Treyarnon YHA 0845 3719664 10/10
Mon 4th Exeter YHA 0845 3719516 6/10
Tues 5th Home 10/10
Wed 6th Black Sheep Backpackers Abergavenney 01873 859125 5/10
Thurs 7th Bridges Long Mynd YHA 01588 650656 7/10 (Dry)
Fri 8th Parr Hall Farm Eccleston 01257 451917 9/10
Sat 9th Hawkshead YHA 0845 3719321 7/10
Sun 10th Rowanbank Guesthouse Annan 01461 204200 7/10
Mon 11th Stronvar Guest House Ayr 01292 284065 8/10
Tues 12th Inveraray SYHA 01499 302454 7/10
Wed 13th Great glen hostel Laggan Locks 01809 501430 8/10
Thurs 14th Carbisdale Castle SYHA Culrain 01549 421232 7/10 (Dry)
Fri 15th John O’Groats YHA 01955 611761 7/10

Total distance 1076 miles.