Runcorn is a nightmare until 2017

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

Just a quick note Runcorn has loads of road and cycle path closures until 2017 as the new bridge across the river Mersey is being built.

The path closures have no detour signs, so until you hit the closure you don't really know about it.

I have spoken to company concerned and asked them if I can help sort it out, they said they would email me back but never did.

You can still come in from Frodsham across the lights and straight up the hill towards Preston Brook and over the M56 towards Warrington (I know that is a popular route) be warned though traffic is bad at the moment as that junction is being used to divert traffic from the other junction as its closed.

EDIT: Update to this, got a reply from Mersey Gateway (company who is building the bridge) and they say "I appreciate your frustration but the reason there are no official cycle route diversions is because we are unable to safely and legally divert cyclists on to public footpaths."

UPDATE:

The new bridge is open but you have to use the old bridge, but read this first -

THE Silver Jubilee bridge will be closed for pedestrians, cyclists and people using mobility scooters whilst refurbishment is being carried out.

Halton Council confirmed a decision to close the footpath and cycleway on grounds of health and safety.

On weekdays from Monday, November 6, a free shuttle bus will ferry pedestrians, cyclists and their bikes and people using mobility scooters across the river.

The service will operate Monday to Friday, picking up/dropping off every 15 minutes between 7.30am and 4pm from two locations only - in Runcorn, at the end of the approach viaduct near to Doctor's Bridge, and in Widnes at the end of Waterloo Road near to the junction with West Bank Street.

Outside of these hours and at weekends the footpath/cycleway will be open as normal.

UPDATE 16 April 2020

Silver Jubilee Bridge is now open to cyclists and pedestrians all the time, you don’t need to use the free bus service anymore. I can’t give you directions to get on it as that is changing all the time due to roadworks on either side.

The NCN62 is now fully open on the Widnes side from Spike Island going under the new Mersey Gateway Bridge. Some maps are still showing the diversion but no need to use that now.

Dave
Last edited by theDaveB on 16 Apr 2020, 9:12am, edited 2 times in total.
Eldog

Re: Runcorn is a nightmare until 2017

Post by Eldog »

theDaveB - Thanks for the info - my route for LEJOG next year goes Frodsham - Runcorn - Warrington. I'll see how things develop over the next few months but would be grateful if closer to the time I could pick your brains for possible less stressful alternatives.

Thanks
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Runcorn is a nightmare full stop!
RickH

Post by RickH »

Eldog wrote:theDaveB - Thanks for the info - my route for LEJOG next year goes Frodsham - Runcorn - Warrington. I'll see how things develop over the next few months but would be grateful if closer to the time I could pick your brains for possible less stressful alternatives.

Thanks

You can always head a little further east before Frodsham (Tarporley-Acton Bridge-High Legh) to cross the ship canal on the Warburton toll bridge (free for bikes) and then rejoin your intended route at some point north of Warrington.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
nickpaton

Post by nickpaton »

RickH wrote:You can always head a little further east before Frodsham (Tarporley-Acton Bridge-High Legh) to cross the ship canal on the Warburton toll bridge (free for bikes) and then rejoin your intended route at some point north of Warrington.

Rick.

Used this route during our LEJOG in June this year. Good riding with no traffic problems AFAICR http://ridewithgps.com/trips/5090820 (includes the missed turn north of Warrington!)
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

Eldog wrote:theDaveB - Thanks for the info - my route for LEJOG next year goes Frodsham - Runcorn - Warrington. I'll see how things develop over the next few months but would be grateful if closer to the time I could pick your brains for possible less stressful alternatives.

Thanks

No probs, am subscribed to this thread, so just post nearer the time. It's changing all the time.

Dave
Eldog

Post by Eldog »

Dave B - My departure is looming closer. Any news on Runcorn? My route takes me through Tattenhall to visit friends so I'd be grateful for any advice regarding that routing and what to do afterwards.

Thanks

Eldog
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

If your route is still Frodsham - Runcorn - Warrington you might be fine, depending on your route through Runcorn.

Let me know what it is and will let you know.

Dave
Eldog

Post by Eldog »

Dave

Thanks - below is a link to my route to Runcorn bridge. Once across the bridge I was going to join NCN62 eastward and then just before Warrington start heading north again.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/10708773

Thanks again
RickH

Post by RickH »

Eldog wrote:Dave

Thanks - below is a link to my route to Runcorn bridge. Once across the bridge I was going to join NCN62 eastward and then just before Warrington start heading north again.

Thanks again

There's a bit between Tilston and Clutton where your route is not, AFAIK, on a public right of way, going through "Carden Park Golf Resort".

You need to follow Carden Lane round to the right about 1 mile north of Tilston. Follow Carden Lane to the junction with the A534/Broxton Road (anothe 1.5 miles - caution short steep descent round bend to junction). Turn left then immediately right into Holywell Lane. At T junction turn right to continue on Hollywell Lane, picking up your original route out of Clutton towards Tattenhall.

Regards

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

Eldog wrote:Dave

Thanks again

There 2 places at the moment where your route is blocked and there are no diversions in place.

Also where you have marked the end of the route, you can't get on the bridge there. The bridge is high up and you have to join it a lot further back than that. You are on the right route but turn off it at Latham Avenue, basically you carry on straight there and it's cycle path all the way over the bridge.

When is your trip?

Best bet would be to meet you and cycle through Runcorn and Widnes to the NCN62 as there are diversions in Widnes as well but I complained and they put up proper Trans Penine signs (NCN62 is part of it).

Dave
Last edited by theDaveB on 6 Apr 2016, 9:37am, edited 1 time in total.
Eldog

Post by Eldog »

Rick - Thanks for the advice - route amended.

Dave - I'm having a nightmare getting Garmin Connect to give me a route that follows your directions albeit, not the first time Garmin has frustrated me. Your offer to help me through would be great. If (BIG IF!) all goes to plan I should be arriving in Runcorn sometime in the afternoon on 16 May. If that fits perhaps I could PM you to arrange something. Definitely worth a beer or cake and cuppa!

Thanks again to you both.
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

Eldog wrote:Dave - I'm having a nightmare getting Garmin Connect to give me a route that follows your directions albeit, not the first time Garmin has frustrated me. Your offer to help me through would be great. If (BIG IF!) all goes to plan I should be arriving in Runcorn sometime in the afternoon on 16 May. If that fits perhaps I could PM you to arrange something. Definitely worth a beer or cake and cuppa!

Yeah that is fine, am not on holiday till July. Doesn't matter if it's a few days either way.

As long as you don't cycle too fast (am really slow) and it's not raining ;-)

Dave
Eldog

Post by Eldog »

Dave

Thanks - I'll try an PM you this evening
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

Quick update on the Mersey Gateway crossing.

The new bridge is now open (opened on the 15th). You can't cross it via bicycle, you have to still use the Silver Jubilee Bridge. The old crossing is closed to vehicles but still open for pedestrians and bicycles.

Not all the roads/paths are fully open yet so can't help with directions. Also around the old bridge will no doubt keep changing due to them working on it now for 12 months.

Will update if I find anything new out.

EDIT: Read update on 1st post 16-04-2020

Dave