842 mile route

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
merapeak

842 mile route

Post by merapeak »

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, so this question has probably been asked alot, I'm organising next year through my works a charity bike ride to ride end to end in one continuous push using 4 relay teams of 3. I have seen a few times when reading record attempts of a 842mile route, but I can't seem to find the route on the Internet, is it a heavily quarded secret or does anyone know where I can find this route or does the ctc lejog package have this route in the book.
Thanks in advance.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: 842 mile route

Post by Mick F »

Shortest/quickest route is simple, but not fun.

LE to Exeter on the A30.
B3181 north out of the city to the A38
A38 right up to Worcester
Then main roads through Kidderminster, Brignorth, Telford to Whitchurch
A49 to Peston
A6 to Carlisle
Old A74 through Lockerbie, Moffat and Abington
Then Lanark, Whitburn, Bathgate, Broxburn and over the Forth Bridge
Old A90 to Perth via Kelty and Kinross
A9 to Inverness, cross the Kessock Bridge and A9 all the way to Latheron
A99 via Wick to JOG

Hope that helps! :D

You can cut the Exeter corner off by getting off the A30 at Okehampton and going via Crediton and Tiverton, but it's not as quick or easy.
Mick F. Cornwall
merapeak

Post by merapeak »

Mick F wrote:Shortest/quickest route is simple, but not fun.

LE to Exeter on the A30.
B3181 north out of the city to the A38
A38 right up to Worcester
Then main roads through Kidderminster, Brignorth, Telford to Whitchurch
A49 to Peston
A6 to Carlisle
Old A74 through Lockerbie, Moffat and Abington
Then Lanark, Whitburn, Bathgate, Broxburn and over the Forth Bridge
Old A90 to Perth via Kelty and Kinross
A9 to Inverness, cross the Kessock Bridge and A9 all the way to Latheron
A99 via Wick to JOG

Hope that helps! :D

You can cut the Exeter corner off by getting off the A30 at Okehampton and going via Crediton and Tiverton, but it's not as quick or easy.

Thankyou for the lengthy response, I will check the route out later on a map, but looks similar to a route I'd seen on a bikeradar forum and that was a 857mile route. I've seen a few routes where they have crossed the 7 bridge and worked there way up the a49 past Hereford upto whichchurch then Warrington, I wasn't sure if that was a quick way or not.
Again thankyou for response, it will be a great help in our planning, much appreciated
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That's ok! :D

I drove the support vehicle for the Race Against Time in 2007, and they did the LEJOG in five days.
These days, they've pushed it out to seven days, but I see from their adverts that it's six days for next year.

After the ride, we had a wash-up meeting and we all said how difficult it had been. The riders were on the road at 6ish every morning and some nights not finishing until after midnight. The first day for instance, was LE to Bristol. :shock: but they never made it.

The weather was atrocious over Bodmin Moor and by the time they were heading north up the A38 the wind and rain were terrible. A tree had come down south of Bristol so we had to abandon the day there and we gave them a lift to their first night's accommodation. The following morning, we took them to where they left off - 30miles south - and they started their second day from there.

Second night was Chester, and third night at Moffat ........ where it was about 1am when they pulled in.
Fourth night was Kingussie, and again it was after midnight.
Fifth night at Thurso after making it to JOG. Last man in was 10.30pm ............ after leaving Kingussie at 5am.

We supported them entirely. We fed them, watered them, carried everything for them, maintained their bikes for them, and generally cosseted, comforted and encouraged them.

As for finding a route at 842miles, I think you'll be needing to mix up very minor roads and mixing it in with motorways! :lol:

Shortest and fastest and easiest are three different things. Nicest and best are two different things too.
The route I described may not be the shortest, but it is the quickest ................. but it ain't fun at all ............. though it may be the easiest because it takes the main trunk roads. It certainly wasn't nice or best. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
merapeak

Post by merapeak »

Mick F wrote:That's ok! :D

I drove the support vehicle for the Race Against Time in 2007, and they did the LEJOG in five days.
These days, they've pushed it out to seven days, but I see from their adverts that it's six days for next year.

After the ride, we had a wash-up meeting and we all said how difficult it had been. The riders were on the road at 6ish every morning and some nights not finishing until after midnight. The first day for instance, was LE to Bristol. :shock: but they never made it.

The weather was atrocious over Bodmin Moor and by the time they were heading north up the A38 the wind and rain were terrible. A tree had come down south of Bristol so we had to abandon the day there and we gave them a lift to their first night's accommodation. The following morning, we took them to where they left off - 30miles south - and they started their second day from there.

Second night was Chester, and third night at Moffat ........ where it was about 1am when they pulled in.
Fourth night was Kingussie, and again it was after midnight.
Fifth night at Thurso after making it to JOG. Last man in was 10.30pm ............ after leaving Kingussie at 5am.

We supported them entirely. We fed them, watered them, carried everything for them, maintained their bikes for them, and generally cosseted, comforted and encouraged them.

As for finding a route at 842miles, I think you'll be needing to mix up very minor roads and mixing it in with motorways!

Shortest and fastest and easiest are three different things. Nicest and best are two different things too.
The route I described may not be the shortest, but it is the quickest ................. but it ain't fun at all ............. though it may be the easiest because it takes the main trunk roads. It certainly wasn't nice or best. :wink:

Wow, it does sound you had a tough event, not just for the riders but for yourself as well. Bet you didn't get much rest.
Yes I very much agree with you that the shortest route is not always the quickest, I've had this experience with my mountaineering hobbies. I think if I was doing a lovely scenic route to enjoy over 12 days the length of the route would not of been a problem. My intended challenge is to have a team of 12 riders split up into 4 relay teams of 3, each team riding a 30 or 50mile leg (not decided yet) before the next team rides. We are going to try and do it in one continuous push, through the night. Looking at 16-18mph avg which gives us a time scale of 48-54 hrs to complete end to end. Not looking at beating the record, got no chance, lol.
Yes we are looking for the fastest, flattest route possible. I was hoping to avoid towns because I think that would slow us right down but looking at the map avoiding Warrington, Preston and Edinburgh would be difficult.

I've had a look at your route and a large chunk I know pretty well, you actually rode past my village coven on the A449 north of w-ton (Midlands) where I was born and bred and I like the route which splits up Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Looking at doing the challenge 2016 Aug bank holiday, just hope we have the weather. [emoji2]
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You need to do the towns ....... or at least the bypasses of them because that is where the trunk roads go.
Exeter, Taunton, Bristol, Gloucester, Worcester .................. Warrington, Preston, Kendal, Penrith, Carlisle etc etc etc.

Maybe think about the A49 up through Shrewsbury to Whitchurch, also A7 towards Edinburgh but peel off to the east before the city.
Mick F. Cornwall
merapeak

Post by merapeak »

Thanks for your help, alot to think about but you have helped to start the ball rolling.
TheRedEyeJedi

Post by TheRedEyeJedi »

Unless you are going for some kind of record .... and have full support ...it would be completely mad and also quite reckless to go the shortest way. That is very much just my opinion - but the A9 and the A30 are not roads you want to be anywhere near on a bike - and I am someone who has no problem using fast, busy A roads. Even the 'nice' bit of the A9 north of Inverness scared the crap out of me and is something I would not repeat. If you do go the shortest way that you need to plan it perfectly so you hit those roads at the quietest times - ie, at night, but that then brings its own dangers.

My Lejog used a mixture of fast A roads but tried to avoid the really bad stretches - ie, I use Mick Fs alternative to the A30 and I also miss out the A9 by going inland from Inverness. I have again revised it for my group effort next year. Its hear if you want a look.

http://ridewithgps.com/users/218007/routes

We are doing 940 miles over 12 days as many of my group are novices. I think I could have a go at this route in less than 8 days if I was to do it myself again. I would combine the first couple of days and get somewhere near Bristol, and there are a few other days that could comfortably done in one go.

You could quite easily knock off 50-60 miles from my route by not going over the Severn bridge and by going north from Loch ness rather than pushing on to inverness. If I was you I would look for the shortest route but still stay off the most dangerous bits - you are aiming at a fast average speed - at 18mph you only need to add 5 hours onto your attempt and you can afford to go a much nicer route.
For solo lejog and more....http://claridgecyclingtocurecancer.com
toontra

Post by toontra »

My 2014 5-day route is more or less the same as Mick's above. I found it reasonably easy but that was largely due to the weather not being too hostile. There's an account in my blog (link below). The worst bit in terms of traffic was the A9 north out of Perth which I wouldn't look forward to doing again, but otherwise no big issues.

Best of luck!
merapeak

Post by merapeak »

toontra wrote:My 2014 5-day route is more or less the same as Mick's above. I found it reasonably easy but that was largely due to the weather not being too hostile. There's an account in my blog (link below). The worst bit in terms of traffic was the A9 north out of Perth which I wouldn't look forward to doing again, but otherwise no big issues.

Best of luck!

Thankyou, could you re-send your blog link again, I would be interested to read it.
merapeak

Post by merapeak »

TheRedEyeJedi wrote:Unless you are going for some kind of record .... and have full support ...it would be completely mad and also quite reckless to go the shortest way. That is very much just my opinion - but the A9 and the A30 are not roads you want to be anywhere near on a bike - and I am someone who has no problem using fast, busy A roads. Even the 'nice' bit of the A9 north of Inverness scared the crap out of me and is something I would not repeat. If you do go the shortest way that you need to plan it perfectly so you hit those roads at the quietest times - ie, at night, but that then brings its own dangers.

My Lejog used a mixture of fast A roads but tried to avoid the really bad stretches - ie, I use Mick Fs alternative to the A30 and I also miss out the A9 by going inland from Inverness. I have again revised it for my group effort next year. Its hear if you want a look.

http://ridewithgps.com/users/218007/routes

We are doing 940 miles over 12 days as many of my group are novices. I think I could have a go at this route in less than 8 days if I was to do it myself again. I would combine the first couple of days and get somewhere near Bristol, and there are a few other days that could comfortably done in one go.

You could quite easily knock off 50-60 miles from my route by not going over the Severn bridge and by going north from Loch ness rather than pushing on to inverness. If I was you I would look for the shortest route but still stay off the most dangerous bits - you are aiming at a fast average speed - at 18mph you only need to add 5 hours onto your attempt and you can afford to go a much nicer route.

Thankyou for your response and the link for your route.
James cracknell record is safe but we are determined to have a good go, his route was 842 miles long but I can't find it anywhere, heavily quarded secret me thinks. Yes we will be well supported, Mini-bus / trailer, camper van with masseuse, small people carrier and a motorcycle who will ride close by. We intend to start late afternoon / early evening to avoid traffic on the A30, but I know from going on holiday in Cornwall this year there are long term road works and cyclists are banned on certain sections, which I need to check out. I was thinking of crossing the bridge and going up the A49 towards shropshire and hopefully meet up with my cycling club to help pace and give a good morale boost.
Both rds in Scotland I know quite well. It's just deciding to pick the lesser of 2 evils. I know a guy who is in a cycling club in Glasgow, in talks at the moment if his club can offer to help and quide us around Glasgow or Edinburgh depending on route we choose.
I agree with you, I want to do the shortest but safest route possible, in a view to complete in sub 50hrs.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

A30 between Bodmin and the Temple area is out of bounds to cyclists until early next year.
The single carriageway section is being dualled and the lanes open to traffic are too narrow for cyclists ......... they reckon.
Mick F. Cornwall
toontra

Post by toontra »

Thankyou, could you re-send your blog link again, I would be interested to read it.[/quote]

If you look at the bottom of the post (and this one) you should see the link.
merapeak

Post by merapeak »

toontra wrote:Thankyou, could you re-send your blog link again, I would be interested to read it.

If you look at the bottom of the post (and this one) you should see the link.[/quote]
I'm sorry, it's possibly my mobile phone, your link does not appear on the bottom of either of your posts.
toontra

Post by toontra »

merapeak wrote:I'm sorry, it's possibly my mobile phone, your link does not appear on the bottom of either of your posts.

Ah - OK. Here it is: http://6-daylejog.blogspot.com/