Green routes?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
fran'n'ange

Green routes?

Post by fran'n'ange »

Does anyone know if there are published green routes for this ride? Cheers.
BottomGear

Re: Green routes?

Post by BottomGear »

fran'n'ange wrote:Does anyone know if there are published green routes for this ride? Cheers.

How do you mean green routes? Are these cycle only paths only or something?
fran'n'ange

Post by fran'n'ange »

Not necessarily cycle only. They could be bridle ways, old drovers trails, forest trails, canal towpaths - anything where there are no motor vehicles
BottomGear

Post by BottomGear »

fran'n'ange wrote:Not necessarily cycle only. They could be bridle ways, old drovers trails, forest trails, canal towpaths - anything where there are no motor vehicles

Gotcha. Sorry I can't help right now, but this is something that i'll be looking into when I plan my E2E.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Which country are you from?
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I think 'green routes' refers to how CycleStreets designates the routes on the quiestest roads/ off road.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

fran'n'ange wrote:Not necessarily cycle only. They could be bridle ways, old drovers trails, forest trails, canal towpaths - anything where there are no motor vehicles

That pretty much presupposes the use of a mountain bike, in which case this might be what you're after: http://www.ctc.org.uk/article/cycling-g ... end-to-end
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
essexian

Post by essexian »

I don't know whether this book would be of any use to you.

Land's End to John O'Groats - Cycling the Google Route: Roy's Mad Adventure

The author wanted an off road route after being hit by a lorry so used Google Maps bicycle maps to plan such. In places, it did seem to take him around the houses somewhat but was an interesting idea and read....and no, I am not the author or his agent! :D
fran'n'ange

Post by fran'n'ange »

Cheers to Vorpal, Richard Fairhurst and essexian....bogmyrtle, I'm from England, why do you ask?
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

I rode this route recently
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7169047
lots of off road trails and tow paths. It might make a good starting point, if you zoom in you can see just how much is off the main routes.
There are a couple of needless diversions, for instance the dreaded A30 is was fine from Penzance, I took the coast road there and it was HILLY!

I used ride withgps to plan my routes,one of the best features is being able to jump right into google street view, invaluable for seeing how suitable the chosen road really is.
I rode this on my surly big dummy fitted with schwalbe almotion 2.3 tyres, they coped well with the gravel tow paths and other off road sections and also rolled well on to Tarmac.
One thing about some of the tow paths is the number of gates, these are designed to prevent motorbikes but do a fair job of impeading a loaded touring bike, I bailed out of one section due to these.
I also left one section which was just soft grass, after 100's of miles the added effort made me do a quick re-route onto what turned out to be very quiet back roads.
I road about 1200 miles, not the shortest route and perhaps not the flattest but mainly fear free. My route took my through some large cities but for instance Glasgow was simple, I road along the Clyde then on cycle paths, Manchester passed me by viewed from the canal path, Stoke on Trent to Birmingham the same way. I also hardly touched a road coast to coast in Devon.

Good luck but be warned its not a quick option
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

This is what I based my route on,
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7169047
Lots of good info and GPX files as well, as I mentioned zoom in to the route and use street view/ satellite views , it give you so much more info than a map
fran'n'ange

Post by fran'n'ange »

Thanks for that Steve, very useful.