shoes...

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Bigdummysteve

shoes...

Post by Bigdummysteve »

I'm off on Thursday and still can't decided which shoes to take, I have SPD sandals and a pair of muddyfox touring shoes, the sandals are stiffer but the shoes are fabric so take some drying out. If I take the sandals I have waterproof socks for the wet bits. The sandals also have recessed cleats so although they are stiffer are better for walking in.... the shoes are more comfortable....
eileithyia

Re: shoes...

Post by eileithyia »

It's a long way, i'd wear whatever is most comfortable.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

eileithyia wrote:It's a long way, i'd wear whatever is most comfortable.

Sandals with socks..........something I never thought I would EVER do but it's tempting me....I almost brought a pair of the gortex shimano shoes but didn't want to risk the pain of new shoes on tour. ..I normally live in sandals spring to autumn but I've only done 250 miles in the spd ones and only 50 miles at a time. Anyone else racked any miles in them?
pwa

Post by pwa »

New shoes would be a big risk at this late stage.

Any kind of waterproofing, whether in the socks or the shoes, will only help if you wear long waterproof trousers that cover the tops of the socks / shoes. If you don't intend to wear long waterproof trousers don't worry about wet feet. Just have something dry to put on your feet at the end of the day.

I would choose the shoes that feel best at the end of a 50 mile ride.

Northern Scotland can be surprisingly cold mid summer. Worth thinking about.
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

Well I took the spd sandals in the end, very glad. It's been a lot of rain including a day of near continuous heavy rain. They have been great, in the heavy rain I've used the sealskin socks (in the matching brown) and had warm toasty feet all day. The socks are dry by the morning as are the sandals,I think if I had taken the shoes I would have been miserable trying to dry shoes out in a tent over night. It's a good set up more comfortable than overshoes.....you just have to get over the I look like a numpty feeling.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Bigdummysteve wrote:
eileithyia wrote:It's a long way, i'd wear whatever is most comfortable.

Sandals with socks..........something I never thought I would EVER do but it's tempting me....I almost brought a pair of the gortex shimano shoes but didn't want to risk the pain of new shoes on tour. ..I normally live in sandals spring to autumn but I've only done 250 miles in the spd ones and only 50 miles at a time. Anyone else racked any miles in them?

20,000 + in SPD's I'm on my 3rd pair really comfy :D specialized can't remember which style / model, Velcro fasteners. The guys in the bike shop almost had to prise my last pair off me :lol: I think you should be ok, but It's a bit risky wearing new shoes on a long ride. I'd have thought that 250 miles is a good break in mileage.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
helenheart

Post by helenheart »

Bigdummysteve wrote:Well I took the spd sandals in the end, very glad. It's been a lot of rain including a day of near continuous heavy rain. They have been great, in the heavy rain I've used the sealskin socks (in the matching brown) and had warm toasty feet all day. The socks are dry by the morning as are the sandals,I think if I had taken the shoes I would have been miserable trying to dry shoes out in a tent over night. It's a good set up more comfortable than overshoes.....you just have to get over the I look like a numpty feeling.

Steve.....did the sealskin socks work with, or without waterproof pants over the tops?
I'm hoping to do the same, but don't want to wear waterproof pants - too hot and sweaty.
Thanks
Helen
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

helenheart wrote:...did the sealskin socks work with, or without waterproof pants over the tops

I once did a tour with waterproof socks - never again! Like you I don't like waterproof trousers and when it rained the socks just filled with water that ran down my legs. We stayed in B+Bs and after a night in an airing cupboard the socks were hardly any drier than before.

I now use either sandals without socks, or lighweight shoes with thin socks that will dry overnight.

BTW, as I think has been mentioned on here before, if you don't like waterproof trousers, Rainlegs may suit - they work for me.
helenheart

Post by helenheart »

I now use either sandals without socks, or lighweight shoes with thin socks that will dry overnight.

BTW, as I think has been mentioned on here before, if you don't like waterproof trousers, Rainlegs may suit - they work for me.

Thanks for the Rainleg idea - don't be afraid to repeat advice - many of us are new to the forum and can't read all the trillions of posts, even though we should!

I use sandals at the moment, then put socks on after the rain stops if my feet have gotten cold - works well enough for me, but that's counting on the rain stopping!!
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

Just finished! The sealskin socks and spd sandals were great, in light rain I just wore the socks with sandals, in the very heavy continuos downpours I did wear goretex over trousers and remained comfortable for the whole day.
The best thing about the combo was the next day, the sandals dried in the front of the tent and the socks were the same, that said they may have leaked in the top if if we're not for the over trousers.
I'm convinced I would have been quite miserable using my normal shoes, they would have been wet for days on end.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Socks and sandals. Wonderful. Someone who defies fashion and does what works.
AM7

Post by AM7 »

I think Shimano SPD sandals are the best cycling footwear ever. I used SPD sandals and Sealskinz socks on my LEJOG a few years ago - worked perfectly. To stop water running down into the top of my socks, I cut the cuffs off a pair of Marigold washing up gloves and used them as a gaiter for the top of the socks. They were very effective and hi-viz into the bargain :D
Last edited by AM7 on 11 Aug 2015, 9:48pm, edited 2 times in total.
pwa

Post by pwa »

AM7 wrote:I think Shimano SPD sandals are the best cycling footwear ever. I used SPD sandals and Sealskinz socks on my LEJOG a few years ago - worked perfectly. To stop water running down into the top of my socks, I cut the cuffs off a pair of Marigold washing up gloves and used them as a gaiter for the top of the socks. They were very effective and hi-viz into the bargain :D

Genius!
velotramp

Post by velotramp »

Not one for the socks and sandals combo myself. tried It once and I'm sure you would agree they didn't look good.
Attachments
old_guy_with_socks_and_sandals1.jpeg
old_guy_with_socks_and_sandals1.jpeg (6.39 KiB) Viewed 8825 times
helenheart

Post by helenheart »

velotramp wrote:Not one for the socks and sandals combo myself. tried It once and I'm sure you would agree they didn't look good.

Whoa Nelly - this isn't a Dating Site - take that photo down!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: