My LEJOG route (completed May 2015)

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
sarahcycles

My LEJOG route (completed May 2015)

Post by sarahcycles »

Hi guys,

I'm new to the board, but did lurk a while and glean some useful information whilst planning my LEJOG ride, which I finished on May 7th. I cycled 1050 miles unsupported, camping almost every night and did it in 17 days (I know most people here do it in under two weeks, but this was the right amount of challenging for me) and had an absolutely fantastic experience.

Since lots of people come here looking for route advice, I thought I'd share my blog post summarising the route I took: Sarah's LEJOG route summary

My favourite days were cycling through Shropshire (my home county) and around Fort William and Loch Ness. I've also got other posts there with the highlights of my three weeks on the road if you want to see more of my trip :D

What do you think of my route? I'm not planning on doing it again myself any time soon but I'd love to help other people planning their trips, so if you have any questions, just ask!

Thanks, Sarah
Paulatic

Re: My LEJOG route (completed May 2015)

Post by Paulatic »

A good ride and well done.
I "stalked" your progress on Twitter with interest.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Well done :D I reckon you did right to choose a route and schedule you could enjoy rather than endure.

For the benefit of anyone following in your footsteps, it is the Transpennine Trail (rather than Pennine Way) in Cheshire.

There can't be too many LEJOGers doing 15 miles on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. Forgive Bowland it's headwind and give it another visit. It's a nice part of the world. And, yes, the scarecrow festival in Wray is a little known gem :)
AaronR

Post by AaronR »

Well Done :D

+1 for The Crask Inn, I think it should be taken over by a cycling cooperative just so it can be kept exactly as it is, and another +1 for the Strathnaver road.. I rode it in the opposite direction, into a headwind and raincloud, but it is excellent
sarahcycles

Post by sarahcycles »

Thanks for the comments and corrections, yes I did mean Transpennine Trail, has now been corrected :) I loved the scenery of Bowland, just could have done without the winds that day!

I would also love the Crask Inn to be kept as it is, it seems to have become something of an institution for cyclists and it would be such a shame to lose that. I was also rained on the whole way up the Strathnaver road, but it was still a brilliant bit of cycling!
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Sarah, well done.
Great blog.
Our paths may have crossed at Tyndrum (By the Way hostel). We were a group of motorcyclists.
It's the fancy leggings that I seem to remember and watched you set off in the pouring rain. Thinking "brave lady". :roll:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
sarahcycles

Post by sarahcycles »

cycleruk wrote:Sarah, well done.
It's the fancy leggings that I seem to remember and watched you set off in the pouring rain. Thinking "brave lady". :roll:

"Brave" or "stupid"?!! :wink:
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

sarahcycles wrote:
cycleruk wrote:Sarah, well done.

"Brave" or "stupid"?!! :wink:

Can I plead the 5th Amendment. :oops:

We were supposed to stay there untill Tuesday but decided to go home a day early (Monday) because of the forecast.
Glad we did as the forecast was right for a change.
You'll have to get the "birthday girls" together and do it as a group. :D
You'll never know if you don't try it.