Route 3 Tiverton to Glastonbury

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
helenheart

Route 3 Tiverton to Glastonbury

Post by helenheart »

Hi there
I see that NCN3 runs directly between these two - does anyone know if this is easy to follow? I am hoping to not have to take a map with me for this section. Maybe I still need a list of the thru towns?
Thanks
Helen
moonboy

Re: Route 3 Tiverton to Glastonbury

Post by moonboy »

The route is fairly well sign posted, some of the signs get overgrown in summer so take a bit of spotting. The route also meanders around the lanes. The surface on the sections of canal near Tiverton and between Taunton and Bridgwater varies from very good to quite bumpy or muddy but should not prove to difficult unless it has rained heavily.
honesty

Post by honesty »

The only part I got confused with the first time I followed it was where to cross over the canal in Bridgwater. There's an old foot bridge next to the railway line which has a gutter to push your bike up, or you can follow the path further into Bridgwater if you don't want to do that.
Last edited by honesty on 22 May 2015, 12:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Oh also noticed recently they are doing work in Creech St. Michael to open up the pillbox there and add some seating and stuff. Going to be nice when complete but can mean workmen in the path at the moment.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I would avoid the taunton - bridgwater canal. Instead leave taunton heading towards Henlade, turn left through Ruishton, then head for North Curry ( excellent community cafe but closed on mondays ), follow ridge dropping down to Burrowbridge then pick up the A361 to join the A39 for the last couple of miles into Glastonbury. (Don't stop at clarks village in street unless you want a new handbag :lol: )
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
NoodleJam

Post by NoodleJam »

If you're on road tyres (25s like I was) you'll find the Taunton to Bridgwater a little tough if it's muddy.
I want along it on Day 2 of my LeJoG (day before yesterday) and found it well signed - it is a canal and only one side of it has a path. The route was dry and the majority was grit.
When large rocky chunks appeared I slowed but was able to hold a respectable 25kph. It was busy in parts being the bank holiday weekend but in others very pleasant ride.
The Creech St works have finished (unless they'd packed away for the bank holiday).
Cosmos Mariner: Destination unknown
www.cosmosmariner.co.uk