End to End route northwards through Preston

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
smalley

End to End route northwards through Preston

Post by smalley »

Does anyone know which is the best traffic-free route northwards through Preston (approaching via Penwortham) and on to Lancaster - avoiding A6?
Many thanks.
John Smalley
Formby.
eileithyia

Re: End to End route northwards through Preston

Post by eileithyia »

The guild Wheel....
Have repeated the route(s) I would (and do) use, several times on here....
Guild Wheel, get off it So you can join lanes to travel up through Woodplumpton and minor lanes northwards toward Myerscough College, dog leg across the A6 at Bilsborrow and pick route 6 north past Garstang and come out at Scorton.. continue north to Lancaster....... You can recross the A6 just after Scorton take a route via Cockerham to the Stork Inn at Condor Green Nr Glasson Dock and join a cycle route that will take you into Lancaster.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

As eileithyia says the Guild Wheel is the only (almost) entirely traffic free route through (or rather round) Preston. Be careful to avoid catching your wheels in the train tracks as you cross the swing bridge at the docks: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.75967 ... 46cTdg!2e0

It can be accessed from higher Penwortham just across the main road (Liverpool Road) bridge. From lower Penwortham it can be accessed by crossing the old Penwortham Bridge (cobbled and closed to motor traffic).
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Part of National Route 6 does Preston to Lancaster but can be a bit lumpy. (but not serious. :roll: )
You can also work your way up the west side of the A6 from Preston to Lancaster.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

cycleruk wrote:Part of National Route 6 does Preston to Lancaster but can be a bit lumpy. (but not serious. :roll: )
You can also work your way up the west side of the A6 from Preston to Lancaster.

An alternative from Garstang is the B5272 to Cockerham and a couple of miles on the A588 to Conder Green and then route 6 on the Lune estuary path. Less lumpy and not usually very busy.