Hotel/Pub in Glastonbury and Monmouth

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
helenheart

Hotel/Pub in Glastonbury and Monmouth

Post by helenheart »

Hi there
Does anyone have any recommendations around £45-50 single occupancy for overnight stays?
I'm not looking for excellence, just decent.
OK, excellence would be nice!
Cheers
Helen
andy_l

Re: Hotel/Pub in Glastonbury and Monmouth

Post by andy_l »

Bliss Cottage in Glastonbury - B&B, with the option of a yurt in the garden!
http://www.blisscottage.co.uk/
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Looked at booking.com they don't appear to have much below £60 but without dates it's hard to be sure. The likes of Premier Inn are sometimes best for single occupancy as you just pay a 'room rate' (instead of an often penalty rate for under occupancy) but Glasto is silly money though Bridgewater is much cheaper.
Monmouth has a Wetherspoons lodge and have single room in June from around £49 but no idea if it's a good hotel (Tewkesbury was crap, Chesterfield superb!) cheap food and very good beer though...
helenheart

Post by helenheart »

andy_l wrote:Bliss Cottage in Glastonbury - B&B, with the option of a yurt in the garden!
!

Thanks Andy! Way cool and comes in under budget. xo
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

helenheart wrote:
andy_l wrote:Bliss Cottage in Glastonbury - B&B, with the option of a yurt in the garden!
!

Thanks Andy! Way cool and comes in under budget. xo

Yebbut a veggie breakfast...
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Sorry I misread that as a yoghurt in the garden and thought that a bottle of wine would be a better offer
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Cunobelin wrote:

Sorry I misread that as a yoghurt in the garden and thought that a bottle of wine would be a better offer

Funny [emoji23]

ALSO go into the Rainbow's End Cafe on the high street. Best smorgasbord of veggie delights in the land. Highly recommended. And don't forget to stock up on incense. There's lots of tat about but look closely and there's some cool stuff. The bike shop at the top of the high street is a good place for repairs or 2nd hand bike bits or even vintage tourers. Happy holiday...b
helenheart

Post by helenheart »

I'm one ahead of you all - my water bottle holder is custom made extra deep and holds a bottle of cabernet with ease and I've arranged to have some extra thick cumberland sausages snuck in..........
helenheart

Post by helenheart »

ALSO go into the Rainbow's End Cafe on the high street. Best smorgasbord of veggie delights in the land. Highly recommended. And don't forget to stock up on incense. There's lots of tat about but look closely and there's some cool stuff. The bike shop at the top of the high street is a good place for repairs or 2nd hand bike bits or even vintage tourers. Happy holiday...b[/quote]

Really???? Stock up on incense to carry with me on my bike to John O'Groats!?!?! I know they don't weigh much, but............. :lol:
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

helenheart wrote:I'm one ahead of you all - my water bottle holder is custom made extra deep and holds a bottle of cabernet with ease and I've arranged to have some extra thick cumberland sausages snuck in..........

Some? snuck in?
Cumberland sausage needs yardage (x thickness) - or diameter of circle they form (x thickness) - someone here can probably do all that pi nonsense (but earlier in the day is better for reasons of sobriety :wink: )
helenheart

Post by helenheart »

WC - I feel obliged to reply to your cumberland sausage rant, but sadly I have no idea where you were headed. I suspect a long history and will indeed think of you next time I am indulging.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

helenheart wrote:WC - I feel obliged to reply to your cumberland sausage rant, but sadly I have no idea where you were headed. I suspect a long history and will indeed think of you next time I am indulging.

'Snuck in' implies small, I was thinking of some custom bike tubing to conceal and protect decent quantities of said sausage ;-) I prefer obsession to rant..
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

Helen

in your previous thread I asked whether you why you had chosen to do LeJog self supported? There are lots of admirable reasons why people do self supported, its obviously a bigger challenge and you have more freedom with date, route etc. My hat goes of to those who choose this option.

On the other hand if your decision is a cost based one I'm going to suggest you add up the cost of self supported and compare it the cost of going with one of the many comanies that provide supported tours. I don't think you will find a lot of difference in cost & if you choose a shared room option you might even find the cost less in compared to paying single room supplements as you are planning.

LeJog is a great challenge whichever way you do it. To my mind going supported remains is still hard work and a challenge, but alos has benefits, not least of which is the great company. Of course unsupported will have it's own benefits and compensations, so I'm just saying consider both.

n.b. on my trip last year we had one lady who booked the shared room option then due to the logisitics found herself in a single room on all but one of the 15 nights.
helenheart

Post by helenheart »

Hi Vitara
I would find doing a bike trip with other people a greater challenge than cycling alone. I could never imagine sharing a room with a stranger or new friend, and find the benefit of not having to plan my own route on an organized trip overshadowed by the fact I would be following a dozen or so folks up the length of the UK and for the most part would have no input on how my day unfolded. I will be spending less on my trip than buying a fully supported trip, but even if that trip was free would prefer a solo trip, as the benefits you allude to, are most certainly subjective.
So we are all different - it makes for an interesting life and fabulous memories.
Happy and safe cycling
Helen xo
helenheart

Post by helenheart »

WC - I'm happy to call it an obsession versus rant - either way, it makes for good reading!