Double ender

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Chat Noir

Double ender

Post by Chat Noir »

I’m planning a double in May, starting and finishing in York. It’s similar distance to both ends, about 460 bike miles each way, so avoids the complications of getting to the beginning and back from the end, making it a sort of circle.

Thought about camping but plan fairly high mileages so will use contacts, hostels, hotels or Warmshowers (we host here in York). My partner will come for couple of days with the campervan when not too far from York (afraid she still has to work while I’m retired). The route mostly takes care of itself with adjustments to go through places with a personal connection. I manage with 1 pannier + waterproof bag on the rack and either small bar bag (Topeak wedge bag fits perfectly, holding phone, camera, money, etc) or big with Carradice bar bag. I take pages from old road atlas to provide maps. I like to stock up from local bakers at the beginning of the day so, when nothing else, can provide enough for the day as well as providing changing tastes through the ride. Cycling alone, I like some amenities at the end of the day. Tend not to take rest days because breaks rhythm and not always restful but might have to because I’m not getting any younger. Try to make early starts because more time on the bike and leaves rest time at end of the day. Then, of course, there’s the weather …

The route will be Leicester, Bristol, Okehampton, Sennen, Holsworthy, Bristol, Shrewsbury, Lancaster, Hawick, Bankfoot, Inverness, John O’Groats, Aviemore, Edinburgh, Corbridge and York.

First day not great, but then eases and real joy once beyond Bristol, spoilt for choices. The day to Holsworthy should be a highlight, then the road east providing lovely miles before getting some hills in. The Alpine nursery just south of Aviemore probably sells the best cake on the whole ride (what do I know ..?). Love the scenery everywhere, to be honest, enjoy going through towns as well as countryside, and bike best way to see it - but Lairg to Bettyhill just has to be some of the most remote and beautiful countryside anywhere in the British Isles. Some long slogs back south, but lots of daylight and delights of Edinburgh will compensate before Northumberland and getting home.

You can see how I travel. Any suggestions, tips or favourite roads? I’m always up for a good café and consider this reason enough for a small detour. A trip I’ve wanted to do for years and now have the opportunity to do – just hope I can manage it!
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
ferrit worrier

Re: Double ender

Post by ferrit worrier »

16 days for circa 2000 miles, that's pulling big miles each day. I tried a double in 2011 and after 1500 miles in 16 days I had to call it a day. one reason was the weather it was so hot on the last two days. I was totally whacked. If and it's a very very big if I was to try it again I'd certainly build in a couple of rest days or very short days. good luck with it and keep us all posted as to how you progress it.

Malc

Ps I've actually ridden E2E three times the second one was a JoG and part of the failed double :) I started at home and rode to JoG but stopped the ride at Lands End

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Have to say time seems optimistic if you want to enjoy the scenery and cake shops as you describe ...

I had plans to do the double this year - start at Stratford-upon-Avon - JOG - LE and back home .... taking an east of the Pennines/Edinburgh route to JOG and the classic Fort William - Glasgow - Bristol route to LE .. and not yet looked at LE home. Unfortunately I've been rather ill and only just getting back on the bike after about 7 months BUT dates are pencilled in the diary for 2016 - planning to take 25 -28 days - B&Bs/pubs.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I did the double in 2006. LEJOG and Back. 1,800 miles in three weeks totally unsupported.
I was absolutely fine all the way to JOG and turned round full of energy. I'd stopped the night in a hotel in Helmsdale and rode up to JOG, had lunch, then back to Helmsdale. 112miles there and back and I was back for teatime and another night's stay.

From there, I headed south along the same route I'd come north. By the time I made it to Carlisle I was knackered and had to add a day to the itinerary as I came through England, making two short days out of one long one, and that gave me a chance to "relax" on two 50mile days instead of one 100mile day.

By the time I made it back to LE, I was worn out.

A single End2End is easy if you do it in 11 days, but what I tried to do was do it twice in 22 days. If and when I do it again, I'll be taking a day off each way.

Basically, what I'm suggesting, is that 1,800 miles is a long way to ride and shouldn't be taken lightly. A simple one-way is easy, but the Double needs MORE than double the time to do it in.

Take your time, it's a marathon, not a sprint.
Mick F. Cornwall
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Thanks for your observations, helpful. I will heed the voices of experience!

I have slight leeway with timing so will add a day at the beginning to ease route to Bristol, some difficult route finding for first 140 miles anyway. I can also add day at the end to better space out return from JOG. With total of 1800 this reduces average to 100 daily, a figure I’m ok with, particularly given there are big chunks where the roads are familiar or straightforward, so less time route finding. At the end of the day, if it’s too much, I amend what I do.

Malc, will try and provide updates about how I get on. Have booked quite a lot of accommodation so becoming real already. I take folding keyboard which enables me to write accounts on the smartphone of my various trips so will see if I can access the internet from time to time.

Hope you’re ok for this next year, Rob – my amended route now takes in Stratford upon Avon so route south likely to be similar to where you go, although return north I really like going over Severn Bridge and up the Wye Valley.

BTW, Mick, found your accounts really enjoyable and helped provide motivation to do the double. Big coincidence, I think we both went to the same primary school (I’m Hugh’s brother), so found your account had a personal significance. I also plan on visiting the site of the old school. Last time, there happened to be an FA cup final going on and the town half empty. If there’s another Mick F then please ignore.

Anyway, will keep on with the organisation, particularly finalising accommodation.

Thanks
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Chat Noir wrote:BTW, Mick, found your accounts really enjoyable and helped provide motivation to do the double. Big coincidence, I think we both went to the same primary school (I’m Hugh’s brother), so found your account had a personal significance. I also plan on visiting the site of the old school. Last time, there happened to be an FA cup final going on and the town half empty. If there’s another Mick F then please ignore.
Yes, this is me.

You and I were in contact some years ago via FriendsReunited and you gave me Hugh's email address. I've also been in contact with a couple of the girls from our class, but no other boy. We did sort of chat about a reunion, but the 50th anniversary of leaving has passed now. Maybe try for the 55th.

WiganWorld is worth a visit for the old school photographs.
http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/album/photo ... &offset=20
I'm second from the left back row, and your brother Hugh is the one next to me looking to his left back row. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Did I / we?

Part of the 'pleasure' of getting older is you don't remember everything you did recently, although from years ago is not so hard. Hugh was over recently and we looked at some of the pictures on the link with Wigan, he might even have posted a comment. But it was a happy school, the faces of the children said it all.

Am at Okehampton YHA on night of 9th May, and on the Sunday going along old A30 to Launceston before heading down B3254 and probably southern parts of the moor before Bodmin and down - if weather poor may drop down into Liskeard because the B road lovely and I remember a very good café there - if you fancy meeting for a few miles cycling. We moved from Wigan to Holsworthy so you can see why I've chosen some of the route.

May be see you in May.
PH

Post by PH »

Good luck with that, I did a single JoG > LE on a scenic 1,100 route over 12 days (Ave 91 miles a day) and that was enough for me.
if I was to change anything, it would be not to book too much accommodation in advance, some days I'd have happily stopped 20 miles earlier and other days I could easily have done another 3 or 4 hours. I've not looked at the mileages of your route, you talk of 100 miles a day which seems OK to me as an average, but I'd want to vary the distances depending on terrain. Our mileages for the 91 ave were between 120 and 70 and even then some of the shorter days were the toughest.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Chat Noir wrote:May be see you in May.
I cannot see why not.
I'll send you a PM soon, after consulting my diary .................. and Mrs Mick F.
May is a great time to cycle End2End - and back maybe. :D
Stand by for a PM.

Here's another shot of St Michael's.
Top class .......... Year 6 as they call it these days. May 1964.
Hugh is top left.
I'm 3rd from the right in the row below. I had a broken RH wrist with a plaster-cast and I was hiding it behind Brent Higham to my right.
Teacher is Mr Simcock.
1964.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Chat Noir

Re: Double ender - starting tomorrow

Post by Chat Noir »

Preparation over, postal vote done, start Wednesday. The Bob Jackson’s been stripped and rebuilt, re-applied Dinitrol inside frame, touched up paintwork, waxed, greased and lubed. New cables, new chain, new (wider) tyres, wheels serviced. Bell and rack fitted. Upped mileage few weeks ago, 800 in past month, including some 90s and 100s (I am retired, so lucky enough to have the time). Purchased some new gear, a Gore jacket, but balanced by using pannier bought in 1978 for first cycle tour to Ireland. Gone for small bar bag. Taking 2 spare tubes, folding tyre, spare spokes from Spa (they made the wheels), multi-tool with chain breaker, tyre levers and repair kit, spoke key, mini pump, small bottle of White Lightning (which coped astonishingly well with the conditions at Tour de Yorkshire sportive on Sunday), first aid kit, coconut-scented shea butter skin cream with sun block to protect face and skin and arnica to ease aching muscles (my partner makes it, so won’t use proprietary name here), plug with 2 USB sockets + cables for phone, Garmin and LED lights. Cut up 2014 road atlas, numbered, in poly bags. Prefer maps, my eyes find hard to see a phone outside, but it does have cycle.travel with all 18 routes on, + OS maps and Google maps – if I get lost won’t dare tell anyone! Taking 1 decent lock (I know, happy to spend weeks on the continent with barely a café lock but here, a big ride, don’t want to risk it). One of my sons sorted me a bigger screen smartphone, so the Kindle isn’t coming, and I’m taking a bluetooth keyboard. Phone provides radio, music, photos, books (even talking books!), e-mail, messages, internet and phone contact, as well as containing maps and allowing me to write a detailed account – how did we manage before? One change of cycle clothes + off-bike wear and, given recent cold weather, more warm clothing than usual (I’m even taking a down gilet, packs small, light and v warm). I’m happy being pretty minimalist, but it’s each to their own. Accommodation all booked, so no worries charging equipment. Meeting my partner 1 week in, can change anything then, as well as sort any mechanicals.

Meeting number of people along the way to ride with for a few miles or couple of days in one case. Mick F has provided really helpful route advice and other sensible comments and we plan to ride together for some miles on Sunday – we probably last saw each other in 1964!

Nerves and excitement, want to get on with it. Given amount of wind this year was hoping will be relatively quiet weather-wise, although tomorrow’s forecast bit alarming, but I’m sure will settle down - now down to me.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Have a great time! I look forward to hearing how you get on.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep, last seen in 1964. :D

I'm meeting him on Sunday on the Old A30 west of Okehampton and riding with him for a few hours. It's just over an hour from here to where we'll meet. We've swapped a few emails about routes etc and last I heard, he wants to go from Launceston down the B roads to Dobwalls on the A390. From there. I'll head home.

There should be a window in the weather on Sunday. It's been dreadful down here these past few days, so hopefully he'll have a good time of it later - though it's rotten now.
Mick F. Cornwall
Chat Noir

Re: Double ender - who turned up the wind?

Post by Chat Noir »

Interesting first day (not proposing to post each day, but ..), can't remember ever cycling for so long with such a strong wind against me - was even pedalling downhill, that's how silly it was. Anyway, first 99 miles out of the way, complicated route finding, and better-looking weather forecast for next few days. Sensible people would pedal northwards in these conditions! Good luck to the tandem cyclists, I'm hoping for more normal May weather from here on in.
Chat Noir

Re: Double ender - turning for north

Post by Chat Noir »

Arrived at Land's End and looking forward to a few days with the wind behind rather than in front - has been pretty tough at times. Rode with Mick F for 30 miles today which was sheer riding pleasure - what a lovely man, what knowledge (and not a bad Mercian Vincitore bike!) and great route across south eastern side of Bodmin Moor, complete with massive long downhill. We parted at the main road, Mick F to ride home, me to come here. Your company much appreciated, thank you.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D :D
Big smiles here!

Excellent ride. I did 58miles by the time I made it to the pub for a couple of well-earned pints, then home for roast gammon and all the trimmings.

As I left you on the A390, the wind blew me for miles! I went down through Dobwalls village on the Old A38, then up through Liskeard town centre before heading home the rest of the way on the A390.

For the statisticians reading this, my 58miles resulted in 6,500ft of total ascent. That's 112ft per mile.
Screen shot 2015-05-11 at 08.26.16.png
Screen shot 2015-05-11 at 08.29.39.png
Mick F. Cornwall