LEJOG the pretty way

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
janetpl

LEJOG the pretty way

Post by janetpl »

I am not the greatest of cyclists. I really dislike heavy traffic, nervous about roundabouts and right hand turns, useless at speed - but OK on stamina and hills. I have just done LEJOG - admittedly in the dryest September on record and had the most fantastic time.
A lot of the routes I read about went through Runcorn. Well with all respect to Runcorn - nothing against the place - but I didn't want to go there. So my route avoided Runcorn.In Cornwall Devon and Somerset I used sustrans routes and then cycled through Wales on the Lon Las Cymru from Chepstow to Hollyhead. Ferry to Dublin - cycled to Newry and then did a bit of a diversion over the mountains of Mourne and the Strangford Loch to Belfast and then to Larne. Ferry to Troon - cycle to Ardrossan - ferry to Brodick and cycle round to Lochranza. Ferry to Claonaig and cycle to Oban (only wet day). Awful crossing to Barra - as I threw up local children were eating fish and chips and swilling coca cola. South first to Vatersay - (bit of island bagging as well) before heading North exploring the Outer Hebrides to Stornoway and ferry to Ullapool. Fantastic day up to Durness, then along to Thurso and a last few hours to Dunnett Head and John O'Groats. 23 days cycling. 3 rest / ferry days. Longest day 74 miles - shortest about 30. On my own to Chepstow - a friend cycled in Wales with me and met non cycling husband in Dublin. Not sure you could call him a support team but he had great fun doing his family history and visiting historic sites.
Now planning the next one.
Message to all ladies of a certain age who might be a bit nervous of LEJOG - just take your time - you can do it - its great.
theDaveB

Re: LEJOG the pretty way

Post by theDaveB »

I live in Runcorn :-(

To be honest it's cycle paths all the way through and over the bridge.

Dave
bikerta

Post by bikerta »

Well done on completing your LEJOG. You picked the right month to do it with amazing weather in September. I did JOGLE in August and had a really mixed bag of weather including hurricane Bertha. I was solo and unsupported too and camped for 21 out of 23 days. I also avoided Runcorn by taking the ferry across the Mersey as its something I wanted to do. I enjoyed the crossing but wasn't overly keen on the Wirral and it seemed to take for ever to get to Chester. I avoided as many main roads as I possibly could, and covered many miles on cycle paths, canal paths and forestry tracks and loved most of them. The few miles I did on the main roads I hated even though they were the fastest part of the trip (probably because I couldn't wait to get off them)

I also took the ferries to Arran and Mull to avoid Glasgow and I would love to visit more of the islands another time. I met several women doing LEJOG or JOGLE, some alone and some with other women.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Another local here who feels his area id unduly tarnished - Seacombe/Birkenhead to Chester is easy cycling and cycleway just about every inch. Along Mersey to Eastham and Ellesmere Port then either Canal to Chester - very quick apart from bridges or across past Cheshire Oaks to Dee path and into Chester - longer and slower but on a JoGLE it would hardly count at an extra 5m?
andreafj

Post by andreafj »

So glad to hear of people doing LEJOG the long/pretty way. My husband and I are planning on riding it in 2016 and our route includes North Uist where my Grandfather was born. Do you have your route posted anywhere? I'm very curious to compare :)

Thanks,

Andrea
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Such a positive post. I fancy a LEJOG when my youngest daughter is a bit older and I have more free time. I see no point in racing through this beautiful country so would look at doing the pretty way round too. I would soak up nature reserves and other natural sights. There are some cities up North I've never visited so I would do those too. In my mind I've packed my tent already! [emoji38]
janetpl

Post by janetpl »

I stayed on a croft near Benbecula airport and then crossed to North Uist on Sunday - and let me tell you if you don't know already NOTHING happens on North Uist on a Sunday except the church car parks were full. I followed the A 865 round the west of the Island. I originally thought of cutting across on the unclassified road under Maireabhal but as I had masses of time to get to the ferry I carried on round the coast and the bit round Scolpaig is particularly attractive. I did a detour into the nature reserve but failed to climb the hill for possible views of St Kilda. Somewhere on the North Coast is possibly the most remote Co op in existence (shut of course). There are some interesting archaelogical sites before you cross to Berneray. Now if you think North Uist is quiet on a Sunday let me tell you that compared to Berneray, North Uist is a throbbing cosmopolitan centre. I sat on the shore watching the seals in the settlemant on Berneray at Sunday lunch time and a door slammed. No other sign of life (human that is) until I went round to the hostel for a cup of tea and just to see where it was. Greeted(?) by an ancient couple of cyclists. When I ventured to say what wonderful weather it was and how fantastic the scenery they moaned about the head wind. Doesn't take much intelligence to realise that its not a good idea to cycle South west when the prevailing wind is whipping off the ocean. Crossing the Sound of Harris is an amazing route avoiding rocks. shallows and minor islands accompanied by seals and marine birds. Thought I might have to pedal hard to Tarbert to get some food that night but ended up in the most expensive hotel of the trip at Roghadal which was worth the money - let me tell you about the church at Roghadal and the old crossing point to Skye and the fantastic ride to Stornoway . No - I will be here all night.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

janetpl wrote

Somewhere on the North Coast is possibly the most remote Co op in existence (shut of course).

That'll be the one at Solas I think. Thankfully it was open when we passed by. We were very grateful to meet the good ladies of the Solas Co-Op who provided us with chocolate and a welcome refuge from the sleat and very chilly north wind. We hung around in front of the cooler cabinets, which were expelling a draught of comparatively warm air, and pretended to be interested in buying something.

When we set off on the west coast route the sun was shining. We passed a tea room early on but decided to stop at the next one we encountered. Unfortunately there were barely any dwellings let alone tea rooms.