10 day LeJog (100 miles per day). 2015

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
wilddavid

10 day LeJog (100 miles per day). 2015

Post by wilddavid »

I am now considering joining one of the organised LeJog events that are being run in 2015. The one that interests me is a 10 day ride which equates approximately to 100miles per day.

I have been riding bikes for many years but have never covered a distance like this before. I currently ride sportive events and some Audax rides which are typically 60/70 miles. On a sportive ride I will normally average around 16-17mph over a 50-60 mile route including relatively hilly events. However, I do not get up the following day and ride a similar distance and then again the following day and so on.

I will be 60 years old by the time I ride LeJog next summer and although I would consider myself fairly fit, I would welcome any comments regarding how long it may take me to be in a situation where I can ride back to back 100 mile rides over a 10 day period. At present I would be able to ride say 3 days back to back over 50-60 miles. One of the reasons for looking at an organised event is that I will hopefully find one or two people who I may be able to ride with as I feel I would enjoy the company of others rather than riding on my own. I have no idea what the average speed of a group may be on an organised event, although I would expect to be able to achieve around 14mph over a 100 mile day (Depending on conditions etc). By the way, the speed is of no importance to me on the ride as long as I am able to cover each day at a pace which is consistent with those around me.

I am looking at around the June/July period next year, although possibly earlier May/June. Any advice would be appreciated. By the way I know that taking the organised event may be seen as the easy option, although I feel that it will suit my needs. Luggage is carried each day by the organisers so the bike will be much lighter than if loaded.

Roughly how long will it take me to be able to ride 100 miles for 10 days.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: 10 day LeJog (100 miles per day). 2015

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
16 - 17 MPH is very good, an over 60 miles is excellent, on bike or total time :?:
Whats your problem, I would say you will probably be fitter than most of the organised riding group will be.
You dont have to train at 100 miles to do 100 miles , you are already doing good training.
Only difference will be that you will take your speed slower and last much longer.

Yor ability at 60 milers means that the only likely problem will be saddle sore, wrist pains and any underlying problems you have already experienced in cycling before :?:
Good luck.

Edited - I would expect 10 - 12 mph total times, so 8.5 - 10 hours.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
wilddavid

Post by wilddavid »

Hi, Thanks for the reply which is very useful. Over this summer I have been tending to average 16-17 mph over 50-60 mile routes. On a sportive ride I tend not to get off the bike until the ride is finished, so the speed is bike time only. Yes, I am very pleased with the times I have achieved, although LEJOG will be a completely different animal. As stated previously, I am not worried about overall speed, but 100 miles each day is completely new territory for me and I have no idea as to how long it will take me in training to be capable of this.

The other consideration is that I don't want to be ready too early as I do fear over training and not being at my peak/best condition when the ride date arrives. Thanks again for your reply.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
You are pretty fit no doubt.
You are worrying too much.

But to do 100 miles will require you to eat and drink at regular intervals, say every two hours or so, otherwise I see a problem with dehydration and running your food store too low.
Balanced food not spotif gels etc :?:
4 hours at your rate will see your carbohydrate store deplenished, and then not be able to restore to carry on with out lethargy.

Over training................peaking............its possible if your only rides are 60 milers without breaks.
But you dont train like this at moment do you :?:

Two to three hour training sessions three times a week would be fine at your current speed with some hills thrown in and a good mix of stop starts from lots of short roads which will force you to accelerate often along with some long roads for your aerobic training.
Milage here is not important but actual work rate.
If on the hundreds you ride two hours and stop for 10 to 15 mins, this alows you to replenish your food and fluids as doing this on the bike is hard work.
Organised events will have specific stops for food etc intake, so I think you will find it some what relaxed compared with the sportifs.

Its all about pace and reading your body before it goes pear shaped, not racing to be first.
In groups you will always find someone to ride with of similar ability, and you will swap around too.

One hundred a day is stiff but the organisers will be planing a regulated ride to suit all.
No luggage sounds like a dream.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What route are you taking? :shock:
1,000miles?????
I've done End2End quite a few times, and my mileage comes out at about 890miles.

10days would be only 89miles a day.
I have done it in 11days and averaged about 80miles a day.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
My advice is to mix your distances. Ride a couple of 100+ miles days back-to-back, and then have some short days.
Short days will feel like a day off as you'll be finished by mid afternoon.

100miles will take you the best part of eight hours. Get going asap in the morning after a good breakfast, stopping only briefly for a light lunch, then plough on for the afternoon. If you can get going by 08:00, you'll be at your destination by tea time 17:00.
Mick F. Cornwall
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Sensible advice from Mickf, not sure about training for 100 mile back to back days other than actually doing it. You might be best to do a couple of longer rides back to back over a weekend, and especially (assuming you are still working) on a longer bank holiday weekend if you can.
As a commuter i have done a lot of shortish back to back days, means when i do go off on touring holidays riding day after day is not too much of an issue. This might be your best option, get used to just actually riding back to back days regardless of the actual distance.

When you do do the E2E do not attempt to ride at your usual pace for 60 miles, but reduce the speed a bit and take time to enjoy the ride and take sensible breaks to refuel.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
wilddavid

Post by wilddavid »

Many thanks to Natural Ankling, Mick F and elleithyia for your advice which is greatly received.

I am almost certainly going to book the organised event through Peak Tours. They show their 10 day LEJOG as covering 956 miles. The longest day is 112 miles with the shortest being 80 miles. A full breakdown of the ride is shown on their website.
I am now semi-retired so I am able to ride the odd day during the week as well at weekends. From a personal point of view I feel that I would prefer to have ridden back to back 100 milers prior to LEJOG as this would give me the satisfaction that i have actually done this prior to the event (Piece of Mind in some ways). Thanks Natural Ankling for the advice on food/drink which i will take on board. I will also try getting in bak to back rides as much as possible/necessary so that my body is used to getting on the bike on consecutive days. Although I have ridden bikes for many years and have completed many sportives and audax rides, i have rarely done back to back day riding in training as it didn't seem necessary as the events i rode were never back to back. I know this is necessary for the LEJOG ride.

Looking at the dates that are on offer for the organising company I think it will be the July ride that i will go for as it fits in best for me. As mentioned in my original post, I do not want to overtrain and any information on possible duration of training to be ready for July would be appreciated. In a nutshell I don't want to be at a peak for the event when there is still 6 weeks to go before the start and then fade off or get tired due to too much training. In an ideal world i would like to be 'Just Right' for the ride. Thanks again for all your posts to date.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just looked at your itinerary.
A bit of advice .....
Not particularly to you, but to the tour organisers.

Dartmoor on the second day is ok BUT if the weather is iffy, it certainly IS NOT ok.

A few months ago, I was riding west from here and saw dozens of riders heading east. I wasn't able to turn round until I passed the tail-enders, but caught them up and rode with them and chatted. It was obvious that they were on an organised LEJOG - you can tell! :D I enjoyed the chin-wag and as I had no particular ride I was doing so happily joined them.

They were on the A390 heading for Tavistock. Not the best the road to cycle on and although we live on it and I ride on it, it isn't to be recommended. I asked about their route and if they were headed for Dartmoor. They answered (sheepishly) yes, and I tutted loudly. The weather was rotten and it was P'ing down. It was August I think, and they were heading into a strong easterly wind with rain and drizzle in their faces into the bargain.

Where I met them, we were near Callington circa 300ft, but to get to Dartmoor up a steep hill out of Tavistock from circa 250ft it climbs up to 1,500ft. I only ever cycle up there when the weather is ok, as I can assure you - and anyone reading this - that Dartmoor is to be avoided at all costs during bad weather. :shock:

I told the people I met that day, that they MUST tell their tour guides to go round Dartmoor to the north via Okehampton/Crediton to pick up their intended route further on. How they got on, I don't know.

Dartmoor is a fantastic ride, but only if the weather is ok.
If it's not, do not go up there.
It can be very bad any month of the year, and it can be very good any month of the year also, even in the winter.

Enjoy your 1,000mile LEJOG, but be aware of the weather. You won't be the first person to be airlifted off Dartmoor.
Believe me.
I live here, and I know.
Mick F. Cornwall
tojjer

Post by tojjer »

I did a JOGLE in 2013 with two other Paramedics from my station.
I regularly come on and read about others trips and ventures.

Mick, ( as you're clearly the man to ask ) is there an email I can contact you on.......I'm getting the bug, I wanna do it again but LEjog this time and want some advice for Cornwall / Devon

Thanks
Nigel
cowann@btinternet.com
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Mick F wrote:Just looked at your itinerary.
A bit of advice .....
Not particularly to you, but to the tour organisers.
Dartmoor on the second day is ok BUT if the weather is iffy, it certainly IS NOT ok.
You won't be the first person to be airlifted off Dartmoor.
Believe me.
I live here, and I know.

The only one lifted off Dartmoor are the badly prepared / trained, and thats Walking across the moor not cycling along a tarmac road.
Is it any different than Scotland :?:

Furthest place from a tarmac road south of Bristol :?:
"Cut Hill" Dartmoor :!: And a desolate 3.3 miles from a road.....................
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Is it any different than Scotland :?
Yes, utterly and completely.

Dartmoor is a big lump of land 1,500ft high surrounded on all sides by low-lying land.
It's not far from the sea, and especially is right in the line of the Atlantic weather systems on the west side.
Mild and damp air comes in and rises suddenly as it reaches the moor, condenses and fogs. It often rains - Dartmoor is the wettest area in the whole of UK. The wind can whip up suddenly, and combined with rain and fog, it's a horrible place to cycle, let alone walk.

When the weather is like that, yes, it's possible to keep going, but why bother going up there in the first place?
The whole idea of riding up there is for the scenery, the views, and the wonderful experience and challenging hills.
Mick F. Cornwall
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

I agree with Mick. For the most part,keep going. But on occasions, make different plans,be flexible,evaluate. On Everest and K2 climbers give it a rest when the weather's bad,even tho they have the best quipment,back up teams and gizmos to help them. Some weather in the UK can be dire. I was taken aback when some USA state trooper/state ranger 'respected' Kinder Scout and its weather when out in some backwoods National Park,and where you really get bad weather,and its remote! You can get 'caught out' even with the best preparation. There aint fun in it!
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

I did the 14 day LeJog with Peak Tours earlier in the year. Mick F is right that Dartmoor on day 2 is hard, but if your doing LeJog (as opposed to jogle) you have to go over it around it.

The route peak tours use keeps you off the main roads as much as possible at the cost of a few extra miles. I think the 10 day tour is a bit shorter than the 14 day one so probably cuts out a few of the quieter or off road diversions we took.

I think you would manage the 10 day tour okay. The only think I would suggest is there is some great scenery and sights to take in along the way, over 14 days I still missed things, for me a faster tour would leave even less time to savour the experience, just my opinion though.
Aikon

Post by Aikon »

When I trained for our JoGLE I tried riding 4-5 days in a row to see how my body coped, I'd ride 40-50 on a Friday evening, then 60 odd on a Saturday, 80ish Sunday, then try to do 40-60 on a Monday evening, I was quite surprised how well I recovered. We averaged 84 miles a day for 12 days, then when I cycled ho,e from Germany I upped the daily distance considerably covering upto 130 miles a day, I found this quite hard if I'm honest, partly because I fell ill & was alone, all in my blog (link in signature)