LEJOG then JOGLE in one

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
the grey rouleur

LEJOG then JOGLE in one

Post by the grey rouleur »

Planning on doing LEJOG and JOGLE back to back as I want to something 'different from the norm' in order to raise funds for a much needed charity currently looking after me.

Question: What do you think a realistic timeline would be for riding?, and mileage per day?

Like most of you, I have a full-time job and need to do this within an allocated leave period. Any blogs or sites that you can recommend of riders that have done these back2back would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: LEJOG then JOGLE in one

Post by Mick F »

I did LEJOG and Back in 2006, and prior to that I had done JOGLE in 1994.
I combined the two stories together:
http://lejogandback.blogspot.com
Sorry, it's a bit longwinded to read. :oops:

The main thing I learnt, was that you need time off!
Riding End2End is hard/easy enough, but to turn round and go back in the same timescale needs a bit more energy than the first leg.

Three weeks was hard. ie a week and a half one way, then a week and a half back.
If/when I do it again, I'll take nearly four weeks because I'll take day or two off as I go.
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Hi

Yes absolutely agree with Mick, give yourself a break in the middle at least. I tried it in 2011, I rode to JoG from home in south Manchester then down to Lands End, I'd covered 1500 in 16 days and was totally whacked. I was just 400 miles short of my target and had to give up. I'm convinced that had I built in a couple of rest days and a few "short" days I'd have done it. I was governed by the amount of time I could get off work and had 23 days to do it in.

If I do attempt it again I'll have a couple of very short days say 30 /40 miles rather than trying to run 100 mile days and a day at home enroute.

Good luck

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

I'm tentatively planning a home-LEJOG-home for early next year and I'm allowing 24 & 1/2 days. The half day is my first day when I finish work at 1:30 and will set off at :2:30 for a 42-mile day. Whilst I agree with the comments above, I personally don't like to take a day off because I find it harder to start the next day. However, I have planned a 'short day' of just over 60 miles, 2/3s of the way in, which should be a lunch-time finish with an early start. I remain totally flexible arriving home on Easter Friday gives me 3 emergency days at the end to use (in the middle) if anything goes wrong I can always arrive home on Easter Monday.