Crask Inn Lairg, Highlands or Altnaharra

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
hallmrh

Re: Crask Inn Lairg, Highlands or Altnaharra

Post by hallmrh »

For me the stay at the Crask Inn was memorable (2001), the food was outstanding and the location sublime (but I can still feel those midges). Maybe the proprietors have changed in the meantime but I remember arriving in Lairg with a couple of Dutch cyclists who had booked B&B in the town, I left them to ride on to the Crask only to meet up with them at Dunnet Head a couple of days later. One of them had a puncture close to to the Crask and the proprietor had taken an inner tube from his own bike and given it to the Dutch guy with his compliments,they were so impressed with this generosity. I hope to return one day to climb the stairs with torch in hand....memories.
PompeyJoe

Did someone say Remote????????????????

Post by PompeyJoe »

Day 21 004.jpg
Did someone say remote??????????????

You will need to click on this image to see it in detail

This is the view from the Crask Inn 'car park' taken on our Lejog last August. This day's cycle (from Bonar Bridge to Tongue) was - in my estimation - the best day of the whole trip. For young Tommy here, he found it a bit scary: in this picture you can't see anything in terms of buildings, cars, roads, people, vapour trails, forest plantations or anything else for that matter other in this utterly sensational part of the Flow Country of Sutherland. I am not sure that they are many other spots like it in the UK.........Bliss!
Fasgadh

Post by Fasgadh »

The Crask is revered amongst the hill going fraternity. I have stayed there and Alltnaharra and both were good.
All roads to and from Alltnaharra are good.
nickodemia

Post by nickodemia »

As per a couple of previous mentions, turning right in Altnaharra and riding up Strath Naver to Bettyhill is just superb, we have done it twice. Only stopped for coffee at The Crask Inn but would love to stay there next time.
Mike Pearson

Post by Mike Pearson »

Going North to South we treated ourselves at the end of our first day with a stay at the Altnaharra Hotel, which was excellent. We stopped for a morning coffee the nest day at the Crask Inn, it's definitely one not to be missed.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Having stayed at the Crask Inn last week (24/4/12) during my LejoG, just some comments to aid future visitors.
1. - I booked by phone the day before and got the LAST BED. There are only 3 rooms I think and the place is busy for most of the year with a combination of walkers (especially Munro Baggers), shooters, fishers and forestry workers. So an advance phone call is advised. The cost for supper, bed and breakfast was £45 per head and well, well worth it as the food was lovely.
2. - The Crask folks also own the small house 50m down on the other side of the road, just south of the inn. From conversation this is for organised parties, but who knows - I got the impression that the proprietor wouldn't turn anyone away given the remoteness of the place.
3. - Camping - they don't mind you camping on the front lawn, but the only facilities are the public ones in the inn, so you'll need to look at this as a sort of 'wild camp' with a pub on the door step. During our visit there had been prolonged rain and the bottom half of the garden was awash and I would guess the top half was very soft going.
4. - Bothy - there is one 20 ish minutes walk away and NOT accessible by cycle (although MTB'ers could consider this, but not having walked the route, I couldn't really say.)
5. - This is a remote location with a generator for electricity (that gets turned off at bed time), but very cosy, warm (radiators and washing water were piping hot) and welcoming and like others have said, well worth a stay.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
sal99

Post by sal99 »

Hi, had coffee and biscuits at the Crask inn on my lejog over Easter. Wonderful place, wish I had planned a nights stay there.
jayd

Post by jayd »

If anyone feels like taking the Crask Inn over, it's now up for sale...

http://uk.businessesforsale.com/uk/Attr ... -Sale.aspx

I hope this remote mecca lives on...
oldtimer99

Post by oldtimer99 »

Another tick for Strathnaver after Altnaharrar. Absolutely brilliant scenery ....... take time to stop (yeah I know............ ) and read the tourist boards in Strathnaver which give an oversight into local history, including the Clerarances. Oh , and do your bit for LEJOG and clean up the latest batch of blue gloves, used for cycle maintainance and then dropped , which littered this section when we came through this time last year! There's a bin in Bettyhill up the road!!!
mattfen

Post by mattfen »

jayd wrote:If anyone feels like taking the Crask Inn over, it's now up for sale...

http://uk.businessesforsale.com/uk/Attr ... -Sale.aspx

I hope this remote mecca lives on...

Indeed - and I hope the owners have a long and happy retirement. Stayed overnight on my LEJOG and it was the best night of the entire trip. Fabulous hospitality.
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

B&B in Altnaharra is totally orientated to cyclists and fisherman. Bikes were put away for us, kit hung up in a drying room, served a 3 course meal and then had the house to ourselves to chill out and relax

Only down side was having to carry a crate of beer all the way from Bonar Bridge

Would have liked to stay at the Crask but plus side was a 10 mile head start on the rest of our group the next day
Skipper9999

Post by Skipper9999 »

The Crask Inn was the best stop on our LEJOG , spent a night there and would love to go back . http://lejog.us/blog.html#day14
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

The Crask Inn for would be a must for me, nearly everyone who rides the scenic route will reference it as if to illustrate that we are in the same club :lol:
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Called in on 2nd July this year while on a North Scotland tour and had tea and toast. As usual they tried to persuade me to stay the night but I had already booked a bed with Sleepezze at Rogart.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
loafer

Post by loafer »

bikepacker wrote:Called in on 2nd July this year while on a North Scotland tour and had tea and toast. As usual they tried to persuade me to stay the night but I had already booked a bed with Sleepezze at Rogart.

hi bikepacker
planning my JOGLE ride for next year thinking of staying at Sleepezze would you recommend as it looks great .. :)