GPX reader free download?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
thebedfordfox

GPX reader free download?

Post by thebedfordfox »

I can't export anything from Bikeroutetoaster because my PC and Mac don't have a facility to read GPX files.

I can't buy one from the Apps Store because the one on sale for £1.99 is for machines later than my Mac desktop.

So if anyone can recommend one that is preferably idiot-proof to download and use, without taking over the whole computer, I'd be very glad to know about it. Had a [inappropriate word removed] day trying one thing and another and it would be nice to make even the smallest bit of progress before ending this most unsatisfying of days.

Thanks,

David
Cunobelin

Re: GPX reader free download?

Post by Cunobelin »

Am I right in thinking that what you want to export from bikeroutetoaster and then read on the MAC?

Have you tried the "Basecamp" form Garmin

It is free and can use free "OSM maps"
thebedfordfox

Post by thebedfordfox »

Thanks for your reply. What I'm trying to do is build a website for my LEJOG, which I've committed to do in August.

My plan is to do it in 12 days, and I want to put each day's stage, complete with detailed route, onto the website.

I know the exact route to Carlisle, as I've done that before, so, for example, I put the Land's End to Launceston (day one) into Bikeroutetoaster and saved it.

What I want to do now is export it using a popular format - GPX seems to be exactly that - and then put it on the website. The actual map doesn't have to be interactive, if that's the right word, as I'll put a 'clickable' link underneath it.

But I can't export it using GPX on my PC or my Mac because I don't have a programme that reads it. I'm confused. I'm no ace with computers but I normally manage to make a little bit of progress using Youtube tutorials and the like.

Today has been a dead loss.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Why can't you use kml?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I this too complex.

If what you want is a static image for a route and then a clickable link to the actual GPX then this can be done using a site such as Cycle Route

Prepare the route (Or download the track) onto Bikeroutetoaster or similar. Rescale the map to full size then take a screenshot, Edit down to map only and place the map on the site / blog

Upload the route to cycle route, and post the link

Sorted
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

freeflow wrote:Why can't you use kml?

If I was looking for a download for use on my GPS system, GPX is handled by most directly, a KML would need conversion for use on any of my systems

So I would prefer a GPX to be provided
skicat

Post by skicat »

I'm still not clear why you want to export the GPX file. Is it to display a map of your day's route on your website, or is the intention to "host" the GPX file so that others can download it into their own GPS?
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get
thebedfordfox

Post by thebedfordfox »

The former, although I think I will take Cunobelin's advice and take a screen shot of the route and put the link underneath it.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Probably no use if you've already planned your route on BRT, but just in case... I put a little feature in cycle.travel to generate thumbnail map images. It's meant for Twitter (so you can tweet a route) but you could use it in a situation like this.

If the saved route has a URL of http://cycle.travel/map/journey/6797
then the thumbnail is http://cycle.travel/generated/cards/6797.jpg

and looks like this:

cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Was about to suggest the same sort of thumbnail/link combo solution but Richard beat me to it!
Looks Good! :D
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Richard - I would like to do this, but please can you tell me how?

In many ways I like your site but I also find it very frustrating to use. It is so elegantly designed and streamlined that there is no 'help' page to tell users even the basics, such as how to undo a drag edit (I had to ask on this forum), and now, how to generate the thumbnail.

I accept that I am being thick - unless it is my browser (Firefox) - but simply cannot see any mention of this facility. :?: :(

(Now bracing myself for the humiliation... :lol: )
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

You might well be right - it seems obvious to me but you're not the only one! I should write some help pages.

In brief...

To get an A-B route, click on map to set start point, click on map to set end point. (Or just type start and end points into the boxes and click 'Get route'.)

Then if the route isn't what you want, 'drag' it onto the roads/tracks you'd prefer. Extra little via points appear when you do this (just like Google). If you want to get rid of a via point, you can just click on it.

When you're happy, save it - you'll have to be logged in to do that.

Once it's saved, the address bar in your browser will change to something like http://cycle.travel/map/journey/6797 . The 6797 is the number of the route, so to get a thumbnail you put that into the special card URL like so - http://cycle.travel/generated/cards/6797.jpg . That isn't very intuitive but I hadn't actually thought before today that people might want to do it outside Twitter!

Does that make some sense?
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
thebedfordfox

Post by thebedfordfox »

Richard,
Thanks very much for your help. I will look at this later on and I think it's exactly what I want to do.
David
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I am confused...

Do you want to put the route you are going to take on the image, or are you planning to put up the route you have taken?

Of course you could do both!

The detours, and variations could be interesting.
thebedfordfox

Post by thebedfordfox »

I am going to input my proposed route, then save it, take a screenshot and post the link. The difficulty with the routes I already I have in Garmin Connect, from Land's End to Carlisle from last August, is that, while they are the same as the ones I will follow this August, they don't correspond to the exact start and finish points I have in mind for each day.