LEJOG June 2014

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
bertram e

LEJOG June 2014

Post by bertram e »

Hi Mick F I have been advised to talk to you re a suitable route through the West Country. I am in my 70th year, recovering from prostate cancer treatment, so not in prime condition for the severest of climbing therefore am looking for a compromise route. I am aiming to complete the journey in 14 days staying in guest houses/hotels using a road bike. I would be grateful for any advice or suggestions you could offer.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: LEJOG June 2014

Post by Mick F »

Hi, and Happy Easter to you. :D
Thanks for the PM, but I'll answer here for now.

Are you doing JOGLE or LEJOG?

If you're doing the ride in 14 days, it means an average of 65miles per day or thereabouts. Cornwall and Devon are the toughest legs of an End2End so perhaps the distances through them needs to be less than on the flatter stages.

The standard answer from me is usually for the "northern route" to skirt round the north of Dartmoor into Okehampton then the Old A30 to Launceston, and out via Egloskerry to Hallworthy, then A395 and A39 Camelford, and keep on the A39 to Wadebridge and work your way through St Columb.

From there it's St Newlyn East and a bit of single carriageway A30 and into Redruth town and the Old A30 through Camborne and Connor Downs into Hayle town centre, then out on the A30 into Penzance town centre and out onto the A30 to LE.

(Reverse this if going the other way of course!)

One thing you mustn't miss out, is Rob's Passage to by-pass the Cadbury Hills - this is a hilly section between Bickleigh and Crediton - Rob's Passage is a route round them to the south and is a lovely pleasant ride.

If you want more details about it all, I'll get it all together for you. I do have some links to online mapping.
Mick F. Cornwall
bertram e

Post by bertram e »

Hi Mick F, Happy Easter to you!
Thanks for the reply much appreciated. Our route is starting from Lands End, and is based on the CTC B&B route as a starting guide.

I would appreciate any guidance, hints or tips you can offer to make our journey easier and enlightening.

I would be grateful for any details you can supply including the links to the online mapping.

Kind Regards bertram e
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Here's a route that I took - in the other direction - only a few years ago.
It encompasses "Rob's Passage" and the "Northern Route" to the north of Dartmoor and down the A39 corridor.
I reckon it's the easiest route.

The trouble is with it, is that it has some main-ish roads, and some folk don't like them.
You can take the minor roads, but I can guarantee that they will be hillier and harder ........... and slower.
To my mind, simpler and smoother is better.

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/124779
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/124780
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/124785
Mick F. Cornwall
bertram e

Post by bertram e »

Thanks for all the info, not adverse to using some A roads to lessen the climbing and ease the start of the journey, so much appreciated.

As you have experienced this journey would you recommend the CTC's B&B route for the rest of the journey north or are there any alternatives you could put forward?

Many thanks for your help.

Kind Regards bertram e
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The CTC route - from what I know of it - is too "involved" for me. I prefer efficiency over scenic when it comes to an End2End.
If you want scenic, go on a tour to the scenic places and take your time, but on an End2End, it's the start and finish that are the most important. It's a long way, and you don't need to make it longer and harder than it is.

That's my opinion, but everyone's! :wink:

Basically, here's my advice for an efficient route.
Head out of Cornwall and Devon by the route I linked to.
Take the A38 all the way to Gloucester, then work your way NW towards the A49 - Leominster, Shrewsbury, Whitchurch, Warrington, Wigan to Preston.
Take the A6 from Preston to Carlisle.
A7 to Edinburgh
A90 over the Forth Bridge to Perth.
A9 and the Old A9 to inverness
A9 to Latheron
A99 through Wick to JOG.

Note, I didn't say go over the Severn Bridge. The A38 to Gloucester and north is flatter and shorter.

Pack light, but don't scrimp on luxury and comfort. Have clothes to change into for the evenings, and lots of changes of cycling kit - shorts, tops, socks etc. Waterproof top is essential. Sun screen is essential too.

The planning of the journey and the picking of where to stay are rather big jobs, and everyone has their own opinions on the best places to stay. Personally, I like to book ahead so I have an aim each day, and these days I like B+Bs rather than youth hostels.

In a couple of weeks, I'm off Up North, and my first stop is a nice B+B in Bridgwater 80 odd miles from here. I'll be there by tea time. Next stop is a B+B in Ledbury - another 80 odd miles, then my sister's place just south of Wrexham - yet another 80 odd miles. I'll be getting across to Manchester for a couple of days, then south via the Peak District and to Bedford, then SW home via Swindon.

All the planning and all the routes are done. I know what I'm letting myself in for, and all accommodation is fully booked and some is already paid for. I did this in January/February. I like to be well prepared. :D

Hopefully, my descriptions will help you plan - but you need to plan in your own way and in your own style.
Mick F. Cornwall
toontra

Post by toontra »

Mick F wrote:Here's a route that I took - in the other direction - only a few years ago.
It encompasses "Rob's Passage" and the "Northern Route" to the north of Dartmoor and down the A39 corridor.
I reckon it's the easiest route.

The trouble is with it, is that it has some main-ish roads, and some folk don't like them.
You can take the minor roads, but I can guarantee that they will be hillier and harder ........... and slower.
To my mind, simpler and smoother is better.

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/124779
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/124780
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/124785

Hi Mick. I'm interested in your routes above. I think I'll use bits of these to get me off the A30 at Launceston on the first day of my 5-day in June.

One question - is there a particular reason for the detour between Crediton and Bickleigh? Presumably it's to avoid the A3072 - is this because of hills, traffic, or something else? Cheers.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Mick F wrote:...Take the A6 from Preston to Carlisle...

Even as a seasoned main road rider there are a couple of bits of the A6 between Preston & Carlisle that I would avoid.
  • Where the A49 meets the A6 - don't follow the A6 Preston sign to the left. Instead go straight on through Bamber Bridge on the B6258 & rejoin the A6 just before it crosses the River Ribble. This is the old A6 route before they built the new section of National Speed Limit dual carriageway that you get onto if you go left. The B6258 route is also slightly shorter than the "new" A6.
  • I would avoid getting onto the A590/A591 just short of Kendal, again high speed dual carriageway - pretty much motorway in all but name. The simplest route is to turn right at Milnthorpe onto the B6385 then 1st left & follow NCN 6 through Woodhouse, Hincaster, Sedgwick & Natland to Kendal. It is (was) signposted so reasonably easy to follow, is slightly shorter than the main road route & is probably a bit flatter (as it follows the river valley more than the main road routes do).

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Agree about both those.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

If you are looking for accommodation in Penrith I can wholeheartedly recommend the Wayfarers Hostel. Has 143 reviews last time I looked on trip adviser and still scores 5stars. Super cycle facilities with full workshop tools if you are needing to do any maintenance. Image
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

toontra wrote:Hi Mick. I'm interested in your routes above. I think I'll use bits of these to get me off the A30 at Launceston on the first day of my 5-day in June.

One question - is there a particular reason for the detour between Crediton and Bickleigh? Presumably it's to avoid the A3072 - is this because of hills, traffic, or something else? Cheers.
Crediton to Bickleigh on the main road is ok, but hilly - very much so. They're the Cadbury Hills.

If you take the detour - nicknamed Rob's Passage - you go along quiet and gentle lanes. Yes, there's the odd hill, but not much.

Go on the main road if you like. I've done it a few times, but I will tell you now that it's not easy, especially heading for LE as you have to climb the AWFUL Bickleigh hill. The road goes up and down all the way between Crediton and Bickleigh, so it's better to take Rob's Passage.
Mick F. Cornwall
toontra

Post by toontra »

Thanks Mick - I knew there would be a good reason!
Ron

Post by Ron »

Mick F wrote:A90 over the Forth Bridge to Perth.

Cycling is not permitted on the A90 on the bridge and bridge approaches.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes it is.

The A90 out of Edinburgh near the FRB on the dual carriageway is forbidden to cyclists, that bit, I agree.
From just beyond Crammond Brig is forbidden, but before that is fine.

You have to go via Dalmeny up to the roundabout on the A90, then over the bridge down the A90 slip roads and onto the pedestrian lane. The east or west side gets closed from time to time and you have to take a guess. Options are under the subway to the other side, or head back (the wrong way) up the slipway and come down the other side (the wrong way).
I've used BOTH methods on my way over.

Turn off though Inverkeithing and head for Kelty up the Old A90 to Perth.
Mick F. Cornwall
Seventeezlad2

Post by Seventeezlad2 »

As Mick says, the Forth Road Bridge (A90) is available to cross for cyclists and pedestrians (on the east side). It forms part of route 1 of the national cycle network. I rode it last week with my son / brother on a little outing from Dunfermline.

If you've time, stop on the bridge once you're in the middle, and if you're lucky you'll spot the Dolphins fishing below : ). Better still, take a mini detour into South Queensferry (say a 1 mile round trip at most) and head to the Hawes Inn / Hawes Pier, good food's found in the Inn, not to mention a fine selection of Ales.... The Hawes Inn sits almost underneath the Forth Rail bridge, catch it on a lovely sunny day as we did and you'll have a lovely panorama view of both bridges.