It's now or never ! (Done)

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
mattfen

Re: It's now or never ! (update route advice)

Post by mattfen »

cycloret wrote:In respose to your PM, I have no news of the current state of the roads and if any are still flooded. I am not sure how you would find out, Tourist Information, the AA, here on CTC Forum?
In 2010 we stayed at the Bridge Inn on the edge of Yatton and got a good deal. The previous night we stayed at a B&B in Topsham but if I were to repeat my Lejog I would probably choose a different route here and not head south into the Exeter area.

I didn't send you a PM - it must have been one of those pesky people asking for advice on LEJOG. :oops: Can you check ?
cycloret

Re: It's now or never ! (update route advice)

Post by cycloret »

Apologies mattfen, my reply was to somone who had posted in this thread and had sent me a PM. Incorrectly I posted in your thread not his.
mattfen

Re: It's now or never ! (update need GPS advice)

Post by mattfen »

Ok - need some help here please - I leave in 10 days but will be away with family for most of that.

I have 14 days worth of routes mapped in RWGPS - these export as gpx files to Memory Map which converts the tracks to routes - but each day's route has variable number of points - up to 300 on some. So the whole route can fit on my etrex venture HC as a series of tracks - and I can navigate using the trackback facility but doesn't fit as a series of routes to follow - which is what I would prefer. Will a Garmin 810 accept 14 tracks of 200-300 points per day as a route or am I going to have to use trackback with my current unit - the Venture can't cope and I'm feeling a bit frazzled !!

I just want a system that works to go along with the road atlas...
LindaB

Re: It's now or never ! (update gps advice needed)

Post by LindaB »

I've got 21 days worth of routes in rwgps for our June Lejog and am planning to export as TCX files to my Garmin 810. I've done the routes this way for lots of local rides and for a 5 day tour (with 50-60 mi days) last week. It has worked just fine; I've not had to concern myself with numbers of points or anything like that. No experience with Etrex at all.

Have you considered the Garmin Touring? It came out after I had purchased my 810, but evidently strips off all the "racing" stuff (cadence, virtual partner, etc etc) that just seems to get in the way of figuring out how to follow routes.

I've loaded OSM maps for the UK on a 32 GB memory card, and can open up a route and see it just fine.... hard to test those maps from here in California - hope they work!! I got the largest card the 810 will hold so I can have all the TCX file as well as keep the "ride" files created each day as we progress.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I haven't used a VentureHC but this page may help:

Living with a Garmin: The Waypoints Limitation

I have an Etrex 20 which doesn't have the same limitation, so haven't needed to try it. Howver I think if you work through the instructions you will find the solution.

Good luck!
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I'm not familiar with Garmin hardware but is your problem that there are too many waypoints in your routes?

After you export the gpx files into MM you have the option to reduce the number of trackpoints. You can repeat the process as many times as you want before you convert to a route.
mattfen

Post by mattfen »

it's now !! i leave on sunday eeeeek
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Have a great time!
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: It's now or never ! (update need GPS advice)

Post by Mick F »

mattfen wrote:I just want a system that works to go along with the road atlas...
Just a quick sort of answer to this.

A route is a route with turn-by-turn directions and it takes some processing power and not a little heartache to make and produce.

Instead, use a track.
This is a route but just a collection of points that your Garmin will string together into a pink line to follow on the map. There won't be any instructions, you just follow the line. It's foolproof and simple.

If you stray off the line inadvertently, you can steer back onto it. You already have a road atlas, so you won't get lost. Having a pink line on your device is simple and you don't have to worry about the amount of track-points and processing.
Mick F. Cornwall
mattfen

Post by mattfen »

Day 3. Sunburnt legs. In wellington and loving it. So many highs, so many hills but I'm in Somerset so switching from energy gels to snorkel. Lands End was shut when I started, Lizard Point was rammed with tourists but Helford Ferry was stunning and the hill known as the Long Drag in Tiverton was great as I went down it. On a trip and loving it !

It's cold at night but so far kit is holding out as is the trusty steed.
mattfen

Post by mattfen »

Sat in the sun in Dingwall drinking wine ! Onto Crask tomorrow. Big John on Sunday then onto the Orkneys. Concur with redeyejedi. Weather has been kind !