A396 from Tiverton to Bampton

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
sjgreen

A396 from Tiverton to Bampton

Post by sjgreen »

Can anyone advise please on using this road? It looks quite a bit less hilly than the obviously quieter and more scenic routes along the river or through knightshayes. I'm thinking that by this stage of our 3rd day we'll be pretty tired and with more hills to do between Bampton and Wiveliscombe where we'll be stopping, we'll be grateful for a bit of a break. But if its very busy then maybe not. Thanks.
LindaB

Re: A396 from Tiverton to Bampton

Post by LindaB »

Don't know the answer; we're going to the west a bit on this route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4119188. We're on the A396 for about 1.3 miles beginning at mile 6.5; hope it's OK. I didn't know where Knightshayes was, and now that I've looked it up would really like to reroute to include the National Trust Gardens located there. Don't dare add any more miles or make major changes now, though. Hope you'll be posting from the road so I can learn from your experiences!
sjgreen

Post by sjgreen »

Linda I will let you know what we do, but the route you are taking looks lovely, I'm sure that little bit of 396 will be ok, its just a long time since I was there last. I would have taken same route as you except that we'll be tired by then so I'm trying to find easiest route up to Bampton. I visited Knightshayes on foot many years ago and it was lovely but I don't know if you are actually allowed to cycle through it without paying entrance fee!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've just looked where Bampton is.

It just so happens that I'll be riding back this way from Bedford in a few weeks time, and I'll be passing through Bampton.
Bedford to Swindon.
Swindon to Bridgwater
Bridgwater to home.
Screen shot 2014-04-13 at 09.16.40.png
Screen shot 2014-04-13 at 09.17.09.png
Screen shot 2014-04-13 at 09.17.36.png
I'm keeping off the major roads as much as practicable, but I'm not frightened of traffic so I won't be looking for traffic free routes.

Is this the sort of thing you want?
If so, I'll upload them into BikeRouteToaster so you can link to them.
Mick F. Cornwall
sjgreen

Post by sjgreen »

Thanks Mick I was really just after info about that few miles of 396 up to Bampton. I expect it will be ok but always good to hear from someone who knows it well.
cheers.
honesty

Post by honesty »

my local area and I've cycled it a few times. The A road is a much flatter route than the Sustrans one through Knighthayes and a very nice rural ride through the river valley but can be rather busy at times and can be a bit of a racetrack if you come across the wrong drivers. The ride through Knighthayes is very nice though, the house and gardens are worth seeing and the cafe is up to the usual National Trust standard. If you do follow the Sustrans route the climb out of Knighthayes is an absolute pain - unsurfaced, rough, and very steep. You can bypass this by heading back out of Knighthayes and turning left out of the driveway then following the lane up the valley. The road across the top is very quiet and rather lovely though as is the view.

And yes you can cycle through Knighthayes without having to pay entrance, but if you want to see the gardens you will have to.
sjgreen

Post by sjgreen »

thanks honesty, that is very helpful info. I think we'll see how we feel when we get there and decide then. But knightshayes does sound worth a visit, may need a tea and cake stop by then! :)