Emirates

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
John Holiday

Emirates

Post by John Holiday »

Have recently returned from a most enjoyable three weeks in Japan, two weeks cycling with Saddle Skedaddle & a week meeting friends that I used to work with,including a day long cycle tour of Tokyo.
I flew with Emirates from Manchester to Osaka,via Dubai.
Would agree with other subscriber that Japan is a great place to visit with great scenery in rural areas,friendly people & considerate drivers, excellent food & accomodation. I took my own Moulton (in a bag for transport).
The only blemish on an otherwise trip of a liftime, was getting 'robbed' by Emirates on the flight back to UK.
Unfortunately,my bag was 4kg. over the weight limit when I came to check-in. Unfortunately, I had left my spring balance at home. For this I was charged an extortionate £200 surcharge, or nearly one third of overall fare!
In subsequent correspondence, I pointed out that people boarded the flight carrying 'duty free' weighing far more at no charge, but this was ignored. Emirates 'Customer Service' completely ignored the points made in my e-mails when querying this, & stated that their 'rules' were quite clear.
So,beware arriving at check-in with an overweight bag. It could prove very expensive.
andrew_s

Re: Beware Emirates

Post by andrew_s »

You didn't think of just opening the bag at check-in and removing 4kg of dirty clothes and other low-value stuff?
The delay might have made them waive the charge.
rualexander

Re: Emirates

Post by rualexander »

Emirates have a 30kg checked baggage allowance, pretty generous compared to most other airlines, and a 7kg hand baggage allowance.
You must have had a lot of stuff to exceed 37kg total?
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Tried that! My 'carry on' rucksack was full to bursting!
With hindsight, I should probably have come out of the queue & re-packed, sorted/prioritised,but was not told how much it would cost until I went to second desk.
bikefish

Post by bikefish »

For anyone else overweight at Narita - T2 has a extended hours post office (near to Uniqld). Small packet <2 kg posted to worldwide a bit less than Yen 2000. Check in will allow 5 to 15% extra no charge - creative carry on should help to lose any excess - bum bag, cargo pockets, airport shopping bag..
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

A fair enough warning for the unwary, thanks. You are obviously unhappy, but how did this happen? Were you overweight on the way out or did you buy lots of stuff that you thought you could bring back with no one noticing? I dont think you were actually robbed as it is presumably in their terms and conditions.

Unfortunately a lot of these problems are country or airport specific, not airline. Gatwick let me on with an extra 2kgs a few months ago, although I am a frequent flyer, so maybe that swung it.

I suspect the Japanese were absolutely sticking to the rules. I nearly had my bike left behind in Osaka because they found out the tyres were not fully deflated after I had left the check in desk. Luckily I was early and hadn't gone through immigration when they paged me, otherwise who knows what would have happened. That was with AirAsia, not Emirates, but still Japanese staff

I fly twice a year with Emirates and think they are great. Don't bad mouth them too much, I wouldn't want them to change. As said above they give you 30kgs, instead of the usual 20, allow as many pieces of luggage as you have and take bikes no problem. They also fly from lots of regional airports which is another great benefit. Had you been flying Lufthansa or KLM, you would have paid that just for carrying your bike and still got less luggage allowance.
gdlerner

Post by gdlerner »

So thats the reason I prefer to fly with company like british you can take only one luggage 23kg but you can pay for another one about 38eur I use it when I fly to South America ,Sri Lankan you can also take 30kg this year I had 10kg over didn t pay nothing
slogfester

Post by slogfester »

Eek! Just about to fly Emirates to Auckland. Struggling with weight and fitting my long wheelbase tourer in a 'normal' cardboard bicycle box. I see you can pre-purchase excess baggage for 10% off
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

gdlerner wrote: I had 10kg over didn t pay nothing

The OP didn't pay nothing either :wink:
slogfester

Post by slogfester »

Afraid to report that my experience with Emirates was very poor. Weighed everything including hand luggage and decided I owed them 9kg/£450 :shock:
Managed to negotiate down to 3 kg, but was then slugged again when exiting Australia to NZ. Box was evidently handled very roughly as split open on arrival. Generally I felt hostility towards checking-in with a bicycle box plus touring luggage.
Service and food poor. 30 min on a bus just to get from plane to terminal at Dubai (we were evidently parked a LONG way away) and chaotic over-crowded scenes in the terminal meant that we then waited on-board the connecting flight for an extra hour while staff went to find lost (and distressed) passengers. 1 hour of lights-out sleep on a 14 hour flight. Drinks served ages after food, cold coffee.
They price themselves equal to -say- Singapore Airlines, but are not even close in quality. May be I was unlucky, but they won't be getting my custom again.