Repair Stand from Black Dog Bikes

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
sbooder

Repair Stand from Black Dog Bikes

Post by sbooder »

First I should say that the delivery was beyond expectation. I live in France and ordered this from Black Dog Bikes through Amazon UK on a Sunday night (so to all intense and purposes, it was Monday morning), the repair stand arrived on the Wednesday morning, that is top service.

It took little longer than 5 minutes to set up the stand and the bike hanging from its saddle post. This stand with its four leg quadpod design is not going to topple (make sure you set one of the legs dead centre front) even if you put some pressure on the bike.

My bike is a tourer and it took the weight easily and you get no more movement from the stand and bike when turning the peddles than on a Park Tool stand. The grip of the clamp feels secure and is fully adjustable for many frame sizes. The latest models clamp (as with the two telescopic tube clamps) comes with a quick release handle.

My only criticism is the tool/parts tray. In its self the tray is OK, it has a magnetic zone in the larger dish and is large enough to take nuts bolts and the like, it even has holes of varying size to accommodate some smaller tools, screwdrivers and hex keys etc. The problem is the diameter of the circular clamp, it is too wide for the upper tube and if attached where it is meant to be attached blocks peddle rotation, if the bike is at a tall working height. This though is easily remedied by adding a rubber shim to the upper pole and clamping around this.

Over all this is the perfect stand for the amateur bike mechanic, at home. It is right for the job and at an unbeatable price. Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008MI0YTO/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=01QDQZSFXTN46RMNS9NV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=317828027&pf_rd_i=468294

Kind regards,
Simon.
pompeyblokeinoxford

Re: Repair Stand from Black Dog Bikes

Post by pompeyblokeinoxford »

Good review. I am looking for an bike stand and this makes the decision making a bit easier.
Paul
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

My problem with all of these stands (I have the more expensive Park one with the cam clamps), is you still have to lift the bike up onto it - easy with carbon fibre, not so easy with my over-engineered suburban guerilla MTB.
It's a dead cert that in retirement I will have an electric hoist.
broadway

Post by broadway »

Thanks as well I'm on the look out and had not noticed them. Looking at there website the stand has gone through a few version and is now on the mk4, yours is the MK 3.

http://www.shopbdbikes.co.uk/acatalog/REP.html - cheaper via Amazon

Looking at the reviews on Amazon for the MK 2 it suggests that the screw clamps could be stronger.

There is another slightly more expensive version with QR adjustments for height and angle, that might be an improvement, the photos don't show a tray, but it is in the product details.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cycle-Repair-Ma ... 929&sr=1-6

So far the reviews have been positive, but probably too earlier to say.
Hemipode

Post by Hemipode »

If I'm not mistaken the Mk 2 stand is exactly the same as the one that Lidl were selling last year for £29.99.

I bought one & have used it several times & had no problems with it. I think it is unbeatable value for money.

Might be worth waiting to see if they sell it again this year ?
Graham

Post by Graham »

I bought the version with the quick-release handle at the top, for altering the angle of the jaws.
This feature seems pretty useful to me as each of my bikes has a different angle on the top tube.

I got it via (shop) BDbikes on ebay.

The original intention was to raise the bike up, to a comfortable level, for cleaning. ( It is the first workstand I have ever owned. )

I soon found that this type of stand permits too much wobbling to give the wheel rims a vigorous scrub and I don't much like dropping mud, grease and muck on the lower parts of the stand.

So cleaning has returned to a floor-standing activity. Once the bike is cleaned though, the stand is very good for all other maintenance tasks that don't involve applying a huge amount of torque.
Vaya

Post by Vaya »

gentlegreen wrote:My problem with all of these stands (I have the more expensive Park one with the cam clamps), is you still have to lift the bike up onto it - easy with carbon fibre, not so easy with my over-engineered suburban guerilla MTB.
It's a dead cert that in retirement I will have an electric hoist.

Park tools have just made one...

Road.cc wrote:Lastly but not leastly, check out Park's PRS33 Power Lift shop repair stand. It uses an electric motor and chain drive to lift bikes up to a maximum of 54kg. If you simply must have the poshest home workshop around, you'll need to kiss goodbye to £1,299. Or another £799 on top of that if you want it double sided...

http://road.cc/content/news/78504-icebi ... -park-tool
Attachments
IMG_1227.jpg