British Airways

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Vorpal

British Airways

Post by Vorpal »

I flew recently with my bike on British Airways using the CTC polythene bag, and I have to compliment BA on their sensible approach. I followed the guidelines on their site, and had a smooth and trouble-free journey.

While I was in the process of packing up my bike at the ariport, one of the check-in staff went out of her way to offer me the use of a tape gun with packing tape.

They handled my bike with care. They brought a trolley for it when they weren't sure if it should go on the oversized baggage conveyor.

At the other end, my bike was available just a few minutes after my other baggage. My other baggage was over the weight limit, but I was not charged for exceeding the stated limit.

All in all, I had a good travel experience, and was impressed with BA.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
The Mechanic

Re: British Airways

Post by The Mechanic »

OK, I appreciate that it was a few years ago but, in my view, BA has got worse since then.

In 2005 my son and I rode the Etape du Tour, flying to Toulouse from Gatwick. On the way back the plane was delayed leaving due, so the pilot said over the intercom, the delay in loading 43 bikes on board. When we landed at Gatwick, there were only 4 bikes on the plane. I rest my case.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
William Semple

Post by William Semple »

Last year I flew with my mountain bike with BA - Bordeaux - Gatwick - Malaga return. Used a soft cycle bag, No problems with the service and will be doing it again. Although I will put a bit more padding on the bike...to protect the bag.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

We recently flew Manchester to Seattle via LHR with BA, and no complaints. Lady on the desk in Man was helpful and offered tips on packing things into the box next time (our first trip with bikes on planes) to save on bag nos. No weight charges, but extra bag payment couldn't be avoided, and we didn't want to open anything up and re-pack.

Shame that once on the planes, the seat pitch is the worst I've experienced for a long time, and the food was little better. Mostly fly KLM/BMI short haul for work, which are far better.

Came back from US with American, who were also very helpful and friendly, but the planes were ancient and the food was worse than BA! Far better legroom though.

Since flown Man-LHR-Istanbul with BA, which again was without any legroom and with dire food. Sadly only for work though. Wish I'd flown Turkish- they're V good on Man- Istanbul, but no idea about their cycle policy.

Jem.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

One way to get better food on planes is to order 'special meals'. One can order all sorts of things on request... low sodium, kosher, vegetarian, etc. I usually order 'Asian vegetarian' or an equivalent, and it's generally much better than the standard fare.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Sadly doesn''t always work, V. I'm a 'fake' veggie (wimped out and eat fish these days) and veg food can be far worse on some flights, and recently on BA it's been abysmal; often there's no vegan option, so they kinda make the veg almost vegan and don't give you choc! Emirates and Turkish both do good veg food though. Got quite used to asking cabin crew for remainder desserts and bread rolls from the non-veg meals.

Curiously. I've heard the same advice given for going 'inside' also... (prison I mean).
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

No, it doesn't always work. And the puds are often lame. But once, I complained that the vegetarian meal was less than satisfactory, and a nice flight attendant brought me some pasta from 1st class, instead :)