Specialized Concept Store

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Mick F
Spambuster

Specialized Concept Store

Post by Mick F »

Just called in at a new "Specialized Concept Store" in Saltash. I was told it was one of only four (I think he said) in the country.

Has anyone been in one? What did you think?

I found it not at all to my taste. It was glitzy, full of bling and loud music. The bikes were up on display stands, and componentry up on boards and shelves. Don't get me wrong, the stuff was fantastic and beautiful.

It was the WAY it was presented that I didn't like.

The place was clean and new, and everything was there for all to see the complete range of Specialized equipment. Upstairs, there was a massive and wonderful array of clothing, helmets and shoes.

Trouble is, the place reminded me more of Topshop or River Island than a bicycle shop!

Mick F. Cornwall
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

The 'Specialized' Concept stores will not appeal to everyone, they are designed to provide a different shopping experience to a local bike shop, especially interms of shop design and layout.

I expect that many of the concept stores will be additional shops, where a traditional LBS will open a new shop entirely, possibly with the intention of attracting a different type of customer, perhaps a customer that may have not considered cycling before.

Although not owned by 'Specialized' the store will carry all their range, they of course will help the owner with design and store fitting. One plus point that should be applauded is that 'Specialized' appear to be insistent that the staff employed are well trained (which 'Specialized' will also be involved in), as to many customers of course the shop will be a 'Specialized' shop, so 'Specialized' will not want poor customer service reflecting badly on them.

Now from whatever way you look at it well trained staff are a good thing. The customer will get the correct advice, the store owner will hopefully get repeat custom, the staff will then hopefully become a valuable asset to the owner and the owner will hopefully look after this valuable asset; so often a problem in cycle retail.

By this I mean that in many cases a LBS with low profits will only employ cheap staff, which is not often condusive to attracting quality staff, the customer may then get poor advice, the owner will lose the custom, the owner may have less incentive to look after the employee, so every one loses :(

Paul Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk
Last edited by Paul Smith SRCC on 28 Mar 2007, 1:46pm, edited 8 times in total.
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
GeoffL

Post by GeoffL »

OMG! Certini have reinvented themselves! I've just checked yell.co.uk, and both Certini and the SCS have the same address.

FWIW, the thing I didn't like about Certini was that they tried to cram too much into too small a space and fat blokes like me had to shuffle sideways to get about the shop. That said, a month or two ago they said they were going to expand into the vacant unit next door - which would give them a lot more space to do justice to the range of stuff they stock (which IMO could rival Partidge on the A38 at Exeter)

I'll have to pay them a visit sometime this week! They sold me my current bike and bent over backwards to iron out the few niggles I had with it, so it would be good to see what they're up to.

Edited to add:

I had a pile of hedge clippings to take to the "refuse disposal point" next door to Certini, so I had to take a look. There was no loud music, and the place seemed light and airy. After a quick bit of light-hearted banter with the salesman, he seemed instinctively to know what was right for my heart and head. He steered me away from the carbon bling and towards more modest steeds priced well below what I'd assumed I'd need to spend to get a well-fitting bike suited to what I wanted to do with it. He nearly sold me a Tricross Sport. If I'd had the money to spare, I think I'd have bought it there and then. The geometry wasn't quite right for me, but they'd have swapped the stem to get it right. Even though I told him I wasn't ready to buy right now, he showed me how to use the gears (I've never ridden with ergo-type gears) and invited me to take it out for a quick ride! (I declined as I didn't have the time :( )

OK, the "upmarket, designer ambience" might not be up to everyone's taste, but it seems it's still the same Certini running it, with the same friendly service that'll have me coming back for more.

Geoff
reohn2

Re: Specialized Concept Store

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:Just called in at a new "Specialized Concept Store" in Saltash. I was told it was one of only four (I think he said) in the country.

I found it not at all to my taste. It was glitzy, full of bling and loud music. The bikes were up on display stands, and componentry up on boards and shelves. Don't get me wrong, the stuff was fantastic and beautiful.

The place was clean and new, and everything was there for all to see the complete range of Specialized equipment. Upstairs, there was a massive and wonderful array of clothing, helmets and shoes.

Trouble is, the place reminded me more of Topshop or River Island than a bicycle shop!

Mick F. Cornwall

Mick
If its anything like Harry Hall's in Manchester they can keep it.
It seems the younger generation(can't believe I just typed that)prefere to shop in these kind of stores and take their bikes to be serviced!!! there too, they're trying to sell bikes like cars,its all concepts and as you said glitz.
They're selling an idea a dream if you will hence the elevated stands and glass cases,as a mate once said they're squeezing your melon (they're messing with you're head Mick don't go in there again you may come out,well broke but not happy :cry: ).
A word of advice for the younger and more vunerable amongst us,One must steel one's self when going into one of these places see it for what it is,UNREAL,then get thyself away from its evil to an oily LBS where its cantankerous owner will be honest and advise thee in the way of mudflaps,where Carradice is still venerated,and the fixed wheel will and can be talked about openly and not in hushed tones behind ones hand.

DON'T GO THERE THY SOUL IS AT STAKE.
Paul Smith SRCC

Re: Specialized Concept Store

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

As I said in my post they will not appeal to everyone :lol:

Paul Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

reohn2 wrote:
Mick F wrote:Just called in at a new "Specialized Concept Store" in Saltash. I was told it was one of only four (I think he said) in the country.

Mick F. Cornwall

Mick
If its anything like Harry Hall's in Manchester they can keep it.
It seems the younger generation(can't believe I just typed that)prefere to shop in these kind of stores and take their bikes to be serviced!!! there too, they're trying to sell bikes like cars,its all concepts and as you said glitz.
They're selling an idea a dream if you will hence the elevated stands and glass cases,as a mate once said they're squeezing your melon (they're messing with you're head Mick don't go in there again you may come out,well broke but not happy :cry: ).
A word of advice for the younger and more vunerable amongst us,One must steel one's self when going into one of these places see it for what it is,UNREAL,then get thyself away from its evil to an oily LBS where its cantankerous owner will be honest and advise thee in the way of mudflaps,where Carradice is still venerated,and the fixed wheel will and can be talked about openly and not in hushed tones behind ones hand.

DON'T GO THERE THY SOUL IS AT STAKE.
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Paul :wink: