Waterproof saddle covers

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Yorkshireman

Waterproof saddle covers

Post by Yorkshireman »

Yesterday morning the weather outlook promised rain
Check the saddle cover (scrounged off my wife - who gets them free from the local gym :wink: ) ... Argh! Fail
No problem. "Sweetheart, those free shower caps that you get from ..." Problem - she now comes home to shower - no free waterproof saddle covers :cry:
:idea: ASDA is only a 5min ride away - they surely sell such things. They certainly do ... in packs of 2 for £1.00 ... containing one PURPLE cap and one PALE BLUE cap :roll:
Ah well! They're not very visible when packed away in the onboard storage unit
They appear to be a lot sturdier than the free ones, and they're certainly waterproof (unlike the actual BROOKS ones :roll: ). Perhaps I'll get to like the colour ... in time :wink:
Colin N.
Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... but the wind is mostly in your face!
http://www.freewebs.com/yorkshireman1/
thirdcrank

Re: Waterproof saddle covers

Post by thirdcrank »

A well thought-out diversification from mudflaps. :wink:
Yorkshireman

Post by Yorkshireman »

The 'saddle covers' come come ready made - no 'fetlin' required :wink: Hm! Somewhere in the garage there's a sheet of black plastic/nylon sheet (too thin and flexible for mudflaps), and there's yards and yards of knicker/garter elastic in the sewing box ... :roll:
Colin N.
Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... but the wind is mostly in your face!
http://www.freewebs.com/yorkshireman1/
aek

Post by aek »

I got a brooks one yesterday and today is the first time i used it.
No problems with it so far.

The only thing i don't like about it is that it's Brooks branded and i needs to cover that with some tape because i don't want to alert the thieves.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

I got a saddle cover from the Brooks stand at the York Rally, it had no logo or anything on it, plain black, with a short drawstring and velcro strap to keep it rolled up under the saddle when not in use, and it seems to be waterproof, think it cost me £3.50.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Like the purple, mine's orange, only problem is that someone has fitted it with handles and written Sainsbury's across it!
Basil W Bloke

Post by Basil W Bloke »

I just use one of those cheap blue plastic carrier bags that you often get from corner shops. Much smaller than the traditional supermarket bag and folds into a satisfyingly small sausage that can be pushed over the saddle rails and right up into the nose of my B17 for storage.
We are normal and we want our freedom
We are normal and we dig Bert Weedon
Tandem Man

Post by Tandem Man »

Belt and braces.

Shower cap and a Brooks.

Ian
Ian From Wakefield
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

Heres how to do it on a tandem
Attachments
saddle covers.jpg
alicej

Post by alicej »

Basil W Bloke wrote:I just use one of those cheap blue plastic carrier bags that you often get from corner shops.

Wow yeah, me too - what's the difference (apart from the cost)??
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

Shower caps have elastic which will hold it on the saddle ,no need to faff about tying a knot as with a plastic bag.
niggle

Post by niggle »

You are all doing it wrong, shower caps are for covering your helmet (should you choose to wear one :wink: ) when it rains. Mind you I have only used the clear freebies a friend collects from hotels, not sure I would wear a purple one (actually I would :D )

EDIT: as for covering a saddle, its an opportunity to show off what posh stores or supermarkets you shop in, so far the most up market I have managed is M&S :(
PW

Post by PW »

I always keep a plastic carrier bag stuffed under the saddle, same as Yorkshireman but I'm a cheapskate! :lol:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
cavasta

Post by cavasta »

Cheap shower caps - I mean faux designer waterproof saddle covers - must be pretty desireable in this part of the world. I've just had my £1.00 special (from Poundland) nicked while it was doing its job on my Brookes. My bike was securely fastened to a bike rack in Knaresborough town centre - broad daylight in the middle of the morning too. It was a blustery day but given that the shower cap was elasticated and attached underneath the saddle, I doubt that it was blown off. :(
niggle

Post by niggle »

cavasta wrote:Cheap shower caps - I mean faux designer waterproof saddle covers - must be pretty desireable in this part of the world. I've just had my £1.00 special (from Poundland) nicked while it was doing its job on my Brookes. My bike was securely fastened to a bike rack in Knaresborough town centre - broad daylight in the middle of the morning too. It was a blustery day but given that the shower cap was elasticated and attached underneath the saddle, I doubt that it was blown off. :(

That must be annoying, nobody has ever stolen my Marks & Spencer saddle cover :wink: