Thorn in my side...

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Thorn in my side...

Post by Mick F »

I just measured mine with respect to the 71mm suggested above by Rualexander.

Mine is 90mm.

The thing is, and this didn't occur to me until I measured this evening, it that my shoe (size9/45) pokes out 90mm too! It's just that when the front wheel steers, the distance increases. Consequently, I have about 30mm clearance minimum.
Mick F. Cornwall
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Yes that occurred to me to, so if as the wheel swings through its turning arc, the clearance increases by say 30mm, as you reckon Mick, then 71mm measured from the photo will increase to 101mm actual clearance which should be enough for most regular shoe sizes that would be using that frame, so there should not be any overlap.
Having looked at a Thorn advert for the Club Tour in the back of the Cycle mag from July 2008 they do actually state that there is no overlap even with mudguards and 37mm tyres (and it implies that this applies to all frame sizes), so something still doesn't add up here if there was overlap when the bike was tested.
macspud

Post by macspud »

It would seem to me that the bicycle used in the review must have had some difference in the forks, either different forks (less rake/offset) or bent forks.
Otherwise I can see no reason that there would not be sufficient clearance.
Regards,
Iain.
hufty

Post by hufty »

Did you sign up solely to resurrect this three year old thread? Nice work, macspud, and welcome! :D
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine