Trevor Jarvis

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
vernon

Trevor Jarvis

Post by vernon »

Yesterday I met up with Trevor Jarvis to hand over my Flying Gate frame to him for refurbishment. The transaction took place in the bar of the Kings Arms in Reeth where he was staying over after attending a 2CV rally.

What a gentleman. We had a great chat and he went over my requirements with a fine tooth comb before suggesting further refinements to his product to bring it up to the same spec as his later frames - mine was made in 1983.

He also reassured me that, contrary to the rumours that have permeated several cycling forums, he hadn't retired and that frame building is still taking place though there is a six month waiting list for his products.

I can't wait to have a Flying Gate on the road.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Glad to read of your pleasure.
Now I have to ask your opinion.
Is it a decent frame with something different about it, or do you consider it to perform better in some way than the conventional diamond arrangement?

I'm not stirring, BTW, I am curious.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Vernon.
I have known Trevor for quite a while, living not many miles from him. As you say he is a real gentleman and an excellent frame builder.

As regards his retirement. I think rumours sometimes start with Trevor himself. When he has day where he starts to feel his age he does say he is finishing. He once told me that himself. Hopefully we will see him, his flying gate frames and his 2CV around for a long time to come.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
vernon

Post by vernon »

DaveP wrote:Glad to read of your pleasure.
Now I have to ask your opinion.
Is it a decent frame with something different about it, or do you consider it to perform better in some way than the conventional diamond arrangement?

I'm not stirring, BTW, I am curious.

I've not ridden it often enough and far enough to form an opinion. It was fixed wheel and I did a total of 10 miles in two years before I bit the bullet and stripped it for restoration to a geared bike. it will be around Easter before I ride it again.
vernon

Post by vernon »

bikepacker wrote:Vernon.
I have known Trevor for quite a while, living not many miles from him. As you say he is a real gentleman and an excellent frame builder.

As regards his retirement. I think rumours sometimes start with Trevor himself. When he has day where he starts to feel his age he does say he is finishing. He once told me that himself. Hopefully we will see him, his flying gate frames and his 2CV around for a long time to come.

He told me the reasons for one of the recent retirement rumours to start circulating. He also expressed a desire to slow down a bit - anyone wanting a frame building has a six month wait while he copes with his current workload.
old blue eyes

Post by old blue eyes »

Picked up my new Flying Gate Frame just before Christmas, what a beauty and a work of art. Trevor did every thing he could to enable me to get the frame back to the Isle of Man as I was on foot and trains and a ferry trip. Start building today !