Panaracer RibMo tyres

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
reohn2

Panaracer RibMo tyres

Post by reohn2 »

Bought a pair of the these for our Tuscan holiday.They were great on the tandem in 700cx28, since coming back I've gone back to 32mm marathons for our bad tarmac. I fitted them on the Dawes winter/tourer bike and they're a good fast tyre.
I also fitted a pair to the Thorn tandem in 559x40mm,haven't ridden them yet but will give updates on puncture proofness and durability as and when.

Has anyone else tried them ?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

As an up date the 28mm Ribmos have now done about 600mls and today was the first time I've ridden them in the wet, and it was wet, windy,with leaves all over the road,something which these tyres took in there stride and inspired confidence, which confirms my suspisions that the rubber is a softish compound so better for wet conditions.

Note,I've never been a fan of Panaracer tyres because of their ultra thin sidewalls which turned me right off them,but the RiBmo's have a more substantial casing due (I think) to the puncture protection that wraps round from bead to bead.
Its all here http://www.panaracer.com/technology.php?sub=protex
johnmac

Post by johnmac »

Are these heavier than Passella's?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

johnmac wrote:Are these heavier than Passella's?

I clicked the link looked on the website and found they are on average 40grms heavier in each size
johnmac

Post by johnmac »

I clicked the link looked on the website
:oops:

So the 32mm size is 50g heavier than the Marathon Supreme, which seems to me to be its closest competitor, but that doesn't appear to have full sidewall protection like the Ribmo.
johnmac

Re: Panaracer RibMo tyres

Post by johnmac »

My 28mm RibMo's have done 1750 miles now and I've recently have two punctures - both due to thorns. So for puncture protection, these are the worst tyres I've had, by a long way. My previous tyres, Conti Top Touring and Passela TG, went 3000+ and 2300 miles each between punctures.

I also think my 32mm Passella's were faster than these 28mm Ribmo's. Definitely won't be buting any more of these!
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Got these on the tourer.

Keep buying them, as i dont know what else to buy. I don't think their puncture resistance is that good to be honest, as I am currently spending more on cycle tyres in one year than I do with the car. I have had two tyres wiht splits after an encounter with road rubbish.

I have never managed to get to 1000 miles without a puncture. But cannot be sure if its my tyre replacement skills that might be to blame.

Lots of grip in the dreadful weather and leaf ridden roads I use though.

Mary
meic

Post by meic »

Two punctures quite close together due to thorns does not make a tyre a bad tyre in my opinion.
It is quite possible this time of year to ride through one bit of Blackthorn cuttings and catch two thorns.
I have had Blackthorns puncture car and motorcycle tyres which are far thicker and heavier than you would possibly use on a cycle.
Yma o Hyd
johnmac

Post by johnmac »

Hi meic,
these punctures were seperate events, 50 miles appart, on different rides. I agree that thorns take a lot of stopping. But my point is that Panaracer make some pretty extravagent claims about puncture protection for these tyres. All I'm saying is that they don't live up the hype, or to their premium price. In my limited experience, you can get better tyres, cheaper.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I have these, they've done about 1000 miles with no trouble whatsoever so far. My riding is mostly rural, and they cut the hedges round here all year round. I bought them on the advice of someone who does 150 miles a week, and had had them for about 6 months over the winter without a single visit from the P**** Fairy. I'll ask him how they did after that when I see him next.

Funnily enough, even when commuting in London I only ever got one or two slow punctures, and I've never had one I couldn't pump up and ride home on without mending, though these days I always carry a spare tube. Saying this will, no doubt, mean that I'll get a spectacular puncture next time out. :wink:

(I've never had a tyre fail, ever. I've only changed them when I've worn the tread off.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've only just come back to this thread (I'd forgotten about it :oops:).
We rode these tyres all through last winter 2008/09 on the Thorn tandem in 26inx40mm, riding them at 95psi as they ride better at a higher pressure than our previous Marathons,we covered about 1500 miles on them without a single incident and definately no punctures.
They roll better than Marathons taking wet weather in their stride and are very sure footed.
We sold the Thorn at this years York Rally with the RiBMo's still on,with over 1500miles on them the rear tyre amazingly was showing little signs of wear.We would normally get 2000miles out of a rear Marathon tyre on the tandem and I would say the Ribmo's were good for a lot more than that.
Yesterday I was in the LBS,which reminded me of this thread,and he was telling me he went onto RiBmos last year on their tandem for the winter,riding P/racer Paselas in summer and he finds Ribmos almost as good with no punctures reported,also he felt very confident in the wet on them.
During the conversation I was saying to him that I was wary of Paselas on the tandem as the side walls are very thin,he told me that he had never had a Panaracer tyre of any kind come back to him or heard of any with side wall failure ever.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

reohn2 wrote:I've only just come back to this thread (I'd forgotten about it :oops:).
We rode these tyres all through last winter 2008/09 on the Thorn tandem in 26inx40mm, riding them at 95psi as they ride better at a higher pressure than our previous Marathons,we covered about 1500 miles on them without a single incident and definately no punctures.
They roll better than Marathons taking wet weather in their stride and are very sure footed.
We sold the Thorn at this years York Rally with the RiBMo's still on,with over 1500miles on them the rear tyre amazingly was showing little signs of wear.We would normally get 2000miles out of a rear Marathon tyre on the tandem and I would say the Ribmo's were good for a lot more than that.
Yesterday I was in the LBS,which reminded me of this thread,and he was telling me he went onto RiBmos last year on their tandem for the winter,riding P/racer Paselas in summer and he finds Ribmos almost as good with no punctures reported,also he felt very confident in the wet on them.
During the conversation I was saying to him that I was wary of Paselas on the tandem as the side walls are very thin,he told me that he had never had a Panaracer tyre of any kind come back to him or heard of any with side wall failure ever.

3 years gone and you mentioned Ribmos in another thread the other day Rheon, so I guess they're worth trying- madame and I are both rather unimpressed with marathons (we've got different types, can't remember which is which), and am not so fussed with some 28mm Contis I've got (couldn't tell you which ones). I may have to give some a try in the new year.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

We've been using these tyres now since the first post on this thread and can only endorse what I've said previously,they're great tyres IMHO and especially on the tandem.
We've punctured three times on them,all thorns,plus trashing a well worn one on the rear of the tandem which had a huge gash in it down to the canvas,I removed a big thick piece of glass 20+mm long that was well embeded and at an angle,but it didn't puncture!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

3 down in 4 years can't be bad. I've been lucky with my bog marathons, but madame with her who-knows-what versions has had several. Did get glass gash like you too- no p but the tyre was trashed. I just don't like the feel of mine. Will definately look at some when I am home (away at mo). Cheers, Jem.