Brooks Cambium C17

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
rualexander

Re: Brooks Cambium C17

Post by rualexander »

georgew wrote:
You can always try the Spa"Nidd" saddle which has the same dimensions as the B17 but has longer rails.

Not quite the same dimensions, the Nidd is 7mm narrower and 2mm longer, not much but the slight difference in width is noticeable to me, and I prefer it.
But it's also a much harder saddle than the B17 and takes a lot more breaking in.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

Richard D wrote:I tried one yesterday. The Cambium felt too wide, a bit too bouncy, and too hard. I hated it after 100 yards, and 10 miles later I was of the same opinion. 100 miles on this thing is not gooing to do me any good. Put the B17 back on and was instantly reminded of why I've been using it for the last year.

Maybe the C15 will work a little better for me, but I'm not as eager to try it as I was. It's just a shame that the rails on the B17 are so short.

I had some vouchers to use, so bought a C15. It's not as wide or as bouncy as a C17, and it did work a little better for me. But it still felt too hard and uncomfortable; I could do 10-20 miles on it, but I never enjoyed sitting on it. Put the B17 back on, and once again noticed a marked increase in comfort instantly.

I might try a Nidd, and was tempted by a Gillers Berthoud (but that would probably also fall into the "too hard" category). I do need a second saddle - but perhaps I should put up with the B17's flaws, knowing there's nothing that suits me better.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Cheers Colin. I'm a big fan too! If I had the 'disposable' I would try a C15 as a comparison . I did enter an online competition to win one but got nowhere. Must ask my LBS to see if they have one in the demo bin. I love my C17 and like they say, 'If it ain't broke...'
trull

Post by trull »

I love my C17, definitely more comfy than my old San Marco Rolls. The Fizik Arione on the new wheels seems OK so far. But I'll put the C17 there v soon.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Got C15 used off ebay .Mildly uncomfortable and after a 50miler yesterday,still only mildly uncomfortable so have hopes that my bum will adjust.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

My experience with my C17 suggests it's not the same as their traditional saddles. Every time you get back on a leather saddle it's become a bit more like your a***, but every time you get back on a Cambium, it's exactly like it was when you first sat on it... I might be stating the obvious but I think there's a tenuous hope out there that somehow the Cs have inherited the trait of leather saddles to accommodate because it's a Brooks - not so.
That said, I like my Cambium - I think they've got it right, by choosing a different, more weather-proof material, modernising the frame and keeping the dimensions more-or-less the same as the B17. I think it's a really good saddle. Looks great, too!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
PH

Post by PH »

For anyone thinking of giving one of these a try but doesn't want to risk the money, I see Charlie the Bikemonger is offering a money back if you don't like it deal.
truckturner

Post by truckturner »

Just bought one for my mountain bike as its going to get splatterd in mud. I have a few B17's one of which was on the bike so it was a reluctant purchase. However riding with a saddle wrapped in cling film was not the answer, Fact is I like it and it suits the bike perhaps a little better. My bike shop had test Cambiums and I think this is common thing to try before you buy with the Cambium Cheers Peter
gerrymcm

Post by gerrymcm »

Swinnerton have these on offer at £65 with free delivery.
PH

Post by PH »

gerrymcm wrote:Swinnerton have these on offer at £65 with free delivery.

Thanks, at that price I thought I'd give one a go
gerrymcm

Post by gerrymcm »

Ph wrote:
Thanks, at that price I thought I'd give one a go

It does seem a very good price, I was suprised and suspicous. My one from swinnerton has arrived in a box that was a little bashed but the saddle is fine.

Good luck with it and at least if you don't like it I'm sure you'll sell it on no probs. I like my exisitng C17 a lot but it's quite tatty now which why I bought this to put on after the winter.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I had one for a few weeks it wrecked me