Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick 26x1.5"

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
niggle

Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick 26x1.5"

Post by niggle »

I am a big fan of Vittoria Voyager Hyper tyres*, liking their combination of suppleness and light weight in a largish width (700x35c/37-622 = 35mm measured on a 19mm rim), giving great performance with a lovely ride quality, but they are only available in 622mm = "700c" wheel size. I wanted something similar for a 559mm = "26" wheeled bike, so after some searching about I decided to try another Vittoria tyre with a 150TPI lightweight folding carcass and slick tread that is available for that wheel size, the Rubino Pro Slick 26x1.5"/40-559: http://www.vittoria.com/tire/rubino-pro-slick/

I ordered a pair from Wiggle at £17.99 each and they came yesterday. Vittoria's claimed weight is 385g but on my scales the two tyres gave weights of 420g & 428g. The sidewalls are just as supple as the Hypers but I fancy the tread area is a little thicker and stiffer.

The ~20mm 'anthracite' grey stripes down the outer shoulders of the tread, with centre black stripe about 12mm wide, looks quite cool to me (but I am over 50 so what do I know!) and they are totally slick without the sipes found on the Hyper.

The measured width bead to bead is 102mm compared to the 35mm Hypers at 94mm. On a 19mm rim I would expect them to come up to about 39mm, but I have mounted them on rims of unknown width and not measured actual tyre width yet- will report back on all that**.

I rode to work with them in quite wet conditions and they gripped very convincingly from the off. I am sure they roll quicker and more comfortably than the Halfords X-Rated tyres they replaced (made by Innova and something like a standard Marathon), but possibly not quite as well as the Hypers, though direct comparison is not really possible on such different bikes. I used 35 psi front, 50 psi rear today but will experiment with various pressures as I go- hard to use the Bicycle Quarterly pressure chart to extrapolate for a tyre width that is 'off the scale'

*Probably No. 2 fan, with rheon2 being No. 1 fan...

**EDIT: now measured them: 39mm on a 19mm rim as predicted 8) On the way home last night I felt even more convinced that they are a nice comfortable and quick rolling 26" tyre choice.
reohn2

Re: Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick 26x1.5"

Post by reohn2 »

If they're as good as the Hypers we're so fond of they'll one heckova tyre :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
niggle

Post by niggle »

Still tweeking tyre pressures: does not help that I previously inflated them with a foot pump (Schraeder valves and bigger volume makes this the quickest method) that I now realise over reads by 7-8psi. Today tried 32psi front, 55 rear, as read off the guage on my proper track pump: getting closer...
Christophe

Post by Christophe »

Evening.

Would just like to know how these tyres are going. Am a recent convert to Voyager Hypers following reading theough the "fan thread" for them on this forum and am now on the look out for similar in 26" size.

Was thinking about Trying Paselas and have been pleased with the Marathon Supremes which are now worn out but looking for something on a budget.

Cheers Chris
niggle

Post by niggle »

They are going great- fast, comfy and grippy in all conditions, no punctures so far. Very close to Voyager Hyper performance.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ever so slightly off topic, but I'm using Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks too ............... but mine are 700/23.

I must say that they are WONDERFUL.
Grippy, smooth and comfortable (even at 120psi rear and 80psi front).
In the wet (not that we've had much of it down here) they are good and provide plenty of confidence.

Very very VERY impressed with them. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
niggle

Post by niggle »

Mick F wrote:Ever so slightly off topic, but I'm using Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks too ............... but mine are 700/23.

I must say that they are WONDERFUL.
Grippy, smooth and comfortable (even at 120psi rear and 80psi front).
In the wet (not that we've had much of it down here) they are good and provide plenty of confidence.

Very very VERY impressed with them. :D

Planet X are selling the 700x23mm version in black & red for £12.99 each at the minute if you fancy stocking up:
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVTRBPS/v ... lding-tyre
Christophe

Post by Christophe »

Thanks for the update. They sound quite impressive. Loving the Voyagers so might take the plunge with these as well.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Presumably the 150 tpi quoted is 3 plies of 50 tpi each?
niggle

Post by niggle »

UpWrong wrote:Presumably the 150 tpi quoted is 3 plies of 50 tpi each?

I am pretty sure it is 1x150- it is a very supple casing like all other Rubino Pro folding tyres.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Aren't pretty much all bike tyres crossply, with 3 plies where the third ply may be less than or more than a full wrap. I suspect Vittoria 330 tpi tyres are 3 plies of 110. Perhaps it's a question for the technical section?