Decathlon B'Twin cassette remover - a better chain whip?

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
AndyK

Decathlon B'Twin cassette remover - a better chain whip?

Post by AndyK »

I think this merits a quick review as it is a neat and (to me anyway) novel approach* to the task of removing a cassette from a freehub. I found it very effective.

If there's one thing almost guaranteed to give me skinned knuckles, it's removing reluctant rear cassettes. I always find the chain whip wobbles about while pressing on it, then the chain unwraps suddenly when the lockring comes loose. This device caught my eye in Decathlon because it's a chain whip with no chain.

Instead, it's a solid bar with an arrangement of metal pegs. The pegs fit into the gaps between the teeth on the smallest sprocket, then you hold onto the plastic-coated handle. It keeps the cassette steady while you use a standard cassette removal tool to undo the lockring in the middle. It's fitted with 4 sets of pegs correctly spaced for different sprockets: 11, 12, 13 and 14 tooth. In the first couple of uses it's worked very well. It's much firmer and less likely to come loose while you're using it, and stays in place after the lockring comes undone. When you're finished it's a bit fiddly to persuade the tool off again, but that's still a good trade-off I'm willing to put up with.

It looks solid enough (and isn't light!) but time will see how long it lasts. £11.99 in any Decathlon store or online.

* I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to tell me that Maillard invented these in 1923...

btwin1.jpg
btwin2.jpg

Edited to correct a typo
Last edited by AndyK on 26 Feb 2015, 10:23am, edited 1 time in total.
Audax67

Re: Decathlon B'Twin cassette remover - a better chain whip?

Post by Audax67 »

Interesting, and easier to clean than a whip. Thanks for posting, I'll look for one next time I'm in there.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

At home, I use a home-made chainwhip. I made two many years ago.
Cleaning a chainwhip?
Why? They shouldn't get dirty at all.

I've found that on tour if I want to remove the cassette, a few pencils and/or ball pens pushed through from the LH side of the wheel into the rear of the cassette locks it well enough to undo the lockring using the spokes/hub as anchors.

Try it.
It works! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Mick F wrote:At home, I use a home-made chainwhip. I made two many years ago.
Cleaning a chainwhip?
Why? They shouldn't get dirty at all.

I've found that on tour if I want to remove the cassette, a few pencils and/or ball pens pushed through from the LH side of the wheel into the rear of the cassette locks it well enough to undo the lockring using the spokes/hub as anchors.

Try it.
It works! :D

I have tried it. It did work. Would I choose to do it that way? Nah.
As for not having to clean your chainwhip... if your cassette isn't a bit mucky, you're spending too much time cleaning and not enough time cycling. :-)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, not cycling enough. :oops:

My point about the pencils etc is if you go on a tour or something, carried weight is an issue.
If you feel you want to be prepared for a spoke breakage on the drive side, you'd need to take a cassette lockring tool and spanner, plus a chainwhip (or this Decathlon thingy - BTW this is excellent!).

I've cross-drilled my lockring tool and take a long steel tommy bar to insert through it instead of using a spanner. By utilising a few pencils - very light! - it negates the need for a chainwhip in the first place.

Using pencils or pens isn't ideal of course, but they are light and in an extreme situation when you have to take off the cassette, it works well. Emergency use only of course.
Mick F. Cornwall
Des49

Post by Des49 »

Mick F wrote:Yes, not cycling enough. :oops:

My point about the pencils etc is if you go on a tour or something, carried weight is an issue.
If you feel you want to be prepared for a spoke breakage on the drive side, you'd need to take a cassette lockring tool and spanner, plus a chainwhip (or this Decathlon thingy - BTW this is excellent!).

I've cross-drilled my lockring tool and take a long steel tommy bar to insert through it instead of using a spanner. By utilising a few pencils - very light! - it negates the need for a chainwhip in the first place.

Using pencils or pens isn't ideal of course, but they are light and in an extreme situation when you have to take off the cassette, it works well. Emergency use only of course.

Great tip, thanks. Once I got about 10 miles home by stuffing twigs and a couple of bits of old wire through spokes into the cassette when my Campag freehub broke free on my MTB, cycled gently and avoided hills. Didn't think of the reverse to eliminate the need for a chain whip. Almost took a lockring remover and whip on a recent short trip, but in the end left both home on weight grounds.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks andy.

Looks very interesting.

Am interested in more views on removing cassettes on the road.
Sweep
james01

Post by james01 »

I like to avoid buying special tools wherever possible. This one's not really for on-road repairs, but a simple method is to wrap one end of an old chain a couple of turns in the appropriate direction around the large cogs and wrap the other around the rim (tyre can remain in-situ) suitably protected by thick rags. Undo ring. Never fails.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

james01 wrote:I like to avoid buying special tools wherever possible. This one's not really for on-road repairs, but a simple method is to wrap one end of an old chain a couple of turns in the appropriate direction around the large cogs and wrap the other around the rim (tyre can remain in-situ) suitably protected by thick rags. Undo ring. Never fails.

great tip thanks
TrekMad

Post by TrekMad »

Can vouch for the good quality of Decathlon tools . Great value too.