Garmin Lugs

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Bob_Thyer

Garmin Lugs

Post by Bob_Thyer »

Recently the lugs on my Garmin Edge 200 broke off. I made contact with Garmin and I was advised to take a photo of the problem and send it to them. I did this with out delay and I recived this reply from Garmin product support.

Dear Robert Thyer,

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

I am happy to help with your enquiry.

I'm afraid it looks like we will need to book your Garmin device in for a replacement.

Garmin offer a 12 month manufacturer’s warranty, if your purchase was more than 12 months ago we can offer to replace your device for a fixed replacement cost of £52.31 GBP, the turnaround for this is up to 14 working days from when we receive your device.

In order to progress with this, please can you call our European Customer Care team using the telephone numbers below:

"edit out phone numbers"

I can confirm that if the device is replaced with Garmin using our RMA Replacement system then any items in your myGarmin account that you have purchased for the original device such as the Lifetime Map Update will be exchanged to the replacement device for you.

Please help us improve the service we offer you by taking our Customer Support survey. Please click the following link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GarminCustomerSurvey
If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know. Alternatively you can search for a solution here: http://www.garmin.co.uk/support

Kind regards,

Nicola

Garmin Europe

Basically what they are saying is we are happy to sell you another Edge 200 at a reduced price, that nice of them NOT! I asked around and found out that lugs snapping off Garmin products seems to be happening a lot. One chap even offered to me a web site with a replacement backing for my Garmin edge 200. This replacement parts web site seems to imply that the lugs snapping off is so common with Garmin products that some one actually invented a solution to the problem and are actively advertising and are making money from the poor quality of Garmin products.

Personally I find all of this to be putting profits before people shame on you Garmin. I can not recommend Garmin products as a good option when looking for a bike computer.
Attachments
Edge 200 the lugs have crumbled and broken off
Edge 200 the lugs have crumbled and broken off
NewHorizon

Re: Lugs breaking on Garmin products seems to be nothing unu

Post by NewHorizon »

Mounting lugs on Mio's fail regularly as well - its not beyond the wit of man to design this out - that they don't says to me that it is a deliberate ploy to extract more money out of what are overpriced products to start with.

Sale of Goods act provides cover for up to six years in England and Wales, as long as the item has failed through no fault of your own and it was reasonable to expect it to last longer than it has. Try quoting this back to them and/or EU 2 year warranty.
RickH

Re: Garmin Lugs

Post by RickH »

Things can break for a multitude of reasons, that's life. How they are dealt with is probably more important.

I don't personally have experience of the twist mount as I'm still using my 2008 605 with the slide mount. Looking online, apart from a few claims that "lots" of breakages have occurred I can't find a whole lot of evidence that this is the case. What I can find are comments that 3rd party mounts that are entirely metal can cause wear of the plastic unit & subsequent failure. I note here that K-Edge, the makers of fancy machined alloy widgets, have moved away from all metal to a plastic insert for the actual mount on their one(s).

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
andrew549

Re: Garmin Lugs

Post by andrew549 »

If you're looking to repair your garmin then this may be of interest http://www.racewaredirect.co/shop/garmin-tab-repair/ as you just glue it on top of where the old tabs where and much cheaper than for garmin to replace it.