Vittoria Voyager(formerly Randonneur)Hyper tyres

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
reohn2

Vittoria Voyager(formerly Randonneur)Hyper tyres

Post by reohn2 »

I bought a pair of these from PlanetX for £20each in 700x37c size,when fitted on touring rims measure 35wideX35high,they are folding tyres weighing 420grams each and fitting was a doddle,easy to get on and run very true and concentric.
I've ridden them for only around 500miles but there's no sign of wear except for one tiny cut about 3mm long in the rear tyre.
They've ridden for approximately 35% off road on bridleways,towpaths and gravel forest roads the other 65% on tarmac.
I'm very impressed with the ride,they're extremely comfortable and very quick rolling,very supple tyres that after initially riding at 50psi front and 75psi rear,I've now settled on 45f and 70r,they're are no slower just even more comfortable,and very surefooted even on some extremely stony tracks.
I'm also impressed by the lack of cuts etc as some of the off road sections are on quite sharp looking stone etc,no punctures as yet.
My usual cruising speed on tarmac is around 16 to 18mph,which isn't problem maintaining on these tyres,but due to their incredible comfort find on stoned up byeways,towpaths and forest roads 14mph is no problem either.
Highly recommended.
PS I'll update this review at 1000miles and let you all know if they live upto initial impressions.
They're available in 700x32,35 and 40mm at £26+P+P here:- http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/vitt ... aid:643237
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PH

Re: Vittoria Voyager(formerly Randonneur)Hyper tyres

Post by PH »

How do you find them in the wet?
I had a pair of the 32mm Randonneur Hyper tyres if they are the same. I's agree with everything you say about comfort and speed, however in the wet they were nothing short of frightening. They came off and were sold to a work mate who doesn't ride in the rain.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:How do you find them in the wet?
I had a pair of the 32mm Randonneur Hyper tyres if they are the same. I's agree with everything you say about comfort and speed, however in the wet they were nothing short of frightening. They came off and were sold to a work mate who doesn't ride in the rain.

I can't say I've ridden them in very wet weather(there hasn't been much this summer :) ) but on the wet roads I have ridden them on I've not noticed anything peculiar.
I'm aware that Vittoria tyres have had a bad reputation in the past for wet weather adhesion,but no problems so far,I'll keep you posted.
BTW I'm a cautious rider in the wet.
PS,what tyre pressures did you run them at?
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

reohn2 wrote:PS,what tyre pressures did you run them at?

I can't remember the numbers, but it was a good bit lower than I would normally run a 32mm.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:PS,what tyre pressures did you run them at?

I can't remember the numbers, but it was a good bit lower than I would normally run a 32mm.

Thanks,I'll report back when I've done some wet rides on them.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:How do you find them in the wet?

I did 60miles yesterday in persisting down rain all day,they behaved themselves very well on tarmac.
15 of those miles were on bridleways and towpaths and I was impressed by their handling on loose and mucky stoney wet surfaces.
I did however have a puncture,which was what looked to be a bramble thorn which had left a 10mm cut with the thorn at one end of it off centre toward the side tread,IMO it could have happened to any lightish tyre but probably wouldn't have got through something with a thicker tread like a Schwalbe Marathon say,but I wouldn't have had the same ride quality.
I've probably done about 600miles on these tyres,200 of those miles have been offroad,sometimes on some pretty rough track and trails and this my puncture.I'm still impressed,so much so I've just ordered anyother pair for £40(£20each) from PlanetX to keep in stock :) :- http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/vi ... lding_tyre
W H Auden
niggle

Post by niggle »

Just started a review of a possible alternative in 559mm/26" wheel size: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=93813