Tried and tested clothing brands/ideas

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Rustydog

Post by Rustydog »

I'm getting back into cycling after many years away from it and have decided to get some 'proper' clothing this time around. I'm looking to buy a reasonable quality breathable jacket and trousers. Not being able to afford the potentially expensive trial and error process, can anyone recommend any particular brands that do the job for them?. I've looked at an Endura soft shell jacket which on face value looked okay but that's about it so far. Any experienced opinions or suggestions much appreciated.
BigFoz

Re: Tried and tested clothing brands/ideas

Post by BigFoz »

Altura stuff seems very good - I have a couple of bits that have worked and lasted well. Also UK made.
Evans sell them, but you can get it other places as well.

My old Nevis jacket lasted about 6 or 7 years of constant use both on and off the bike. It eventually wore through over the shoulder where my rucksack straps sat going to work / swimming sessions. The fabric there got worn quite thin and then lost it's waterprooficity. As I spent a year of its life commuting by plane etc to and from Glasgow from Hertford, and taking all my kit in the rucksack each week, it got quite a beating as for a long period I was footbound in Scotland, then when I got a flat, courtesy of work, I only had a non racked 2nd bike, so had to use the rucksack to ride to work as well.
Rustydog

Post by Rustydog »

BigFoz wrote:Altura stuff seems very good - I have a couple of bits that have worked and lasted well. Also UK made.
Evans sell them, but you can get it other places as well.

My old Nevis jacket lasted about 6 or 7 years of constant use both on and off the bike. It eventually wore through over the shoulder where my rucksack straps sat going to work / swimming sessions. The fabric there got worn quite thin and then lost it's waterprooficity. As I spent a year of its life commuting by plane etc to and from Glasgow from Hertford, and taking all my kit in the rucksack each week, it got quite a beating as for a long period I was footbound in Scotland, then when I got a flat, courtesy of work, I only had a non racked 2nd bike, so had to use the rucksack to ride to work as well.

Many thanks for your input here. I'll checkout the names you've mentioned and see what catches my eye (and pocket).
townbikemark

Post by townbikemark »

What type of cycling? If you have a properly equipped urban bike, you should be able to wear your everyday street clothes like in Holland or Denmark.
stereotype nonconformance...unpigeonholable...

http://townbikemark.blogspot.co.uk/
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I have quite a bit of Altura stuff, particularly the Airstream and Night Vision tops. Prices seem to have gone up recently but still reasonable value for money. I tend to wear Endura bottoms, as they fit me better. I also have quite a bit of Decathlon stuff, they do various ranges to suit different budgets - the 300 range is the cheapest and outstanding value but not the best fit, right up to the 700 range which is pricier but better quality.

Others worth considering are Planet X and Louis Garnaeu. Others will say Aldi/Lidl stuff is good, but it's not on sale all the time. I've had mixed experiences with the Aldi stuff I've bought.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mill4six

Post by mill4six »

I'm in love with Gore Bikewear but have to buy it in the sales!
Olliespilot

Post by Olliespilot »

I like Gore wear too. The expense seems to lessen as you enjoy the comfort & longevity.
binsted

Post by binsted »

Rapha, expensive but lasts a lifetime.
RJS

Post by RJS »

www.cycle-clothing.co.uk stuff wont brake the bank, Loads of clothing on eBay, I bought a very lightweight jacket a while back from a site called something like" light in the box", big choice and cheap, not the fastest delivery though, don't now were in the world it came from :o
Cheers, Rob.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

binsted wrote:Rapha, expensive but lasts a lifetime.

Ten years for a company is a very short lifetime IMHO. their clothes have a long way to go to catch up with some 25-30 yo cycling clothing, admittedly looking a bit tired now, I still wear.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
sore thumb

Post by sore thumb »

Altura for me too, apart from their gloves.

I have a transformer jacket. It's wind proof and breathable. The best thing is that you can take the arms off if you get too hot.
Rustydog

Post by Rustydog »

townbikemark wrote:What type of cycling? If you have a properly equipped urban bike, you should be able to wear your everyday street clothes like in Holland or Denmark.

Thanks for your comments there. My main cycling would be day tours. I live in a fairly remote place on the west side of the country near the coast, so as you can imagine the weather can be quite changeable here. Also, getting a soaking when you're in everyday togs 20 or 30 miles from home is no fun.
SteveHunter

Post by SteveHunter »

I like the Altura kit, it fits me well. I have the Altura Night vision jacket and waterproof trousers, 2 pairs of tights, numerous bib shorts and a few jerseys, both long and short sleeve. I find the Altura Bib shorts the most comfortable of all shorts I have tried.
Last edited by SteveHunter on 24 Nov 2014, 12:24am, edited 1 time in total.
Rustydog

Post by Rustydog »

Paulatic wrote:
binsted wrote:Rapha, expensive but lasts a lifetime.

Ten years for a company is a very short lifetime IMHO. their clothes have a long way to go to catch up with some 25-30 yo cycling clothing, admittedly looking a bit tired now, I still wear.

I agree, and at my age 10 years ain't long. What brand has kept good for you then for 25 + years.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The following items still in use and at least 25yo

Bean Bag top.....think they were made in Durham. Had a great pr of tights from them too which I sadly lost on the road.

One pr of tights, maker unknown but advertising Gatorade down the legs.

Pr of gloves, Victoire.... A yellow colour no one wanted, were in sale bin for a pound!

Freestyle pertex jacket......only used for filthy off road rides now but a constant reminder of my size. XL when I returned to cycling.

Not reached 25 yet but are a respectable age
Pr of Altura shorts
Pr of Altura bib shorts......both M500

Both are still comfortable with no stray irritating stitching. Other makes have been worn and thrown throughout the life of these.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info