Tesco Hudl 2

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
al_yrpal

Tesco Hudl 2

Post by al_yrpal »

Got one of these for the OH because her tablet is getting a bit long in the tooth.

First impressions... Compared with Nexus 7 2

Quite heavy

A little bigger screen than my Nexus 7 2, but... You can't get so many icons on the home screen, in fact one row less - why? Because of an unremoveable Tesco icon at the top. Loads of Tesco rubbish on the adjacent screen.

Screen resolution, as good as Nexus 7.

Colour, a bit warmer than the Nexus 7, not quite as nice

Sound, a bit mushy and less clear. Quite bad played through my Amplifier by casting screen to a Chromecast.

Speed, seems as fast as Nexus 7

Battery life, poor, about half of what I get out of the Nexus 7, could be a problem. Gets hot in use which is obviously where battery capacity is going.

Price - I used £35 of Clubcard points doubled, so I paid £60, effectively £95, a bargain.

Conclusion - a bargain tablet but not the best out there. Not so neat as my Nexus 7 which fits nicely in one hand. A cheapy more suited to occasional users.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Sweep

Re: Tesco Hudl 2

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the review al.

Tabs for touring came up last Christmas so this is useful.

It sounds pretty good apart from the battery.

That sounds like a serious issue to me.

I'm no engineer but even from my O level physics I am assuming that heat output is energy from a fixed resource (a battery charge) that is going into heating your hands and room rather than tablet activity which doesn't sound too clever.

Are you getting the time claimed by Tesco from it?

I presume you are comparing like with like ie: Keeping wi-fi and other power intensive stuff on for a similar length of time with both the Nexus and the Hudl.

The weight of Hudls never bothered me - in fact I liked the feeling of toughness, particularly with the case I had for the original Hudl. I wouldn't for instance want to put my 10inch Samsung in a pannier.

From what you say of the sound it sounds fair enough for my needs.

I am assuming that you can watch downloaded IP player stuff through the built-in speakers. Is that so? A drawaback of the first Hudl was that you couldn't. Although driven fine by many applications, iplayer (and I seem to remember one or two other things) were too quiet, and could not be natively boosted so I had to use earphones.

How is the GPS?

I found the Hudl 1's built in GPS very weak.

I am assuming that the intermittent screen freeze of the Hudl 1 has been fixed.

Have you read any reviews that have mentioned a battery issue?
Sweep
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

For a really budget , light weight tablet, the Nook HD looks to be pretty good in comparison reviews. Good screen resolution and the ex-display models 8gb can be had for £40 on eBay.
Note- I don't own one yet.
nosmo king

Post by nosmo king »

I bought a Hudl2 a couple of weeks ago. Never had a tablet before so can't compare to others, but so far it's been great. I use the camera and video quite a lot and find the resolution to be good. I don't use many apps so can't really comment on that.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

FYI The Times reviewed cheap Tablets this morning and the Hudl 2 leads the field. Same in Which. The camera isnt great, but who takes pictures with a tablet, phones are much better for a quick pic and proper cameras are even better? The battery life isnt the best, the Hudl isnt the lightest either. But, if you wish to avoid the many strictures and cost of Apple I think the Hudl is the dogs… , and a steal if you use Clubcard points.
Our Nexus 7 2 that my Mrs now uses is still an excellent tablet, they just upgraded it to Android 5 Lollipop. Lollipop to me is just another tweak at the Android interface with some fancy new graphics. Some things seem smoother, they claim that battery life is better but its not really noticeable. Bit of a damp squib really, apparently of more significance to App developers I think.
Been using the Chromecast a lot to cast all sorts of things to the TV from the Hudl, really opens up media experiences in Video and Music, the photos the Chromecast displays on the screen are fantastic and you can include your own photo library too. Excellent buy for thirty quid.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the update al.

I'm pretty sure i'll get one for touring travelling.

I liked the built in port for tv connection the hudl 1 had and i think the 2.

Agree with you about taking pics with tablets.

London is full of folk holding the things in the air.

Best description i ever heard of this is that it's like trying to take a picture with a floor tile :)
Sweep
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

My sister had one for her birthday and I helped her get it all set up. Quite impressed.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)