Optilabs

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
The Mechanic

Re: Optilabs

Post by The Mechanic »

I have worn varifocal glasses for at least 10 years and have no problems reading. There can be a problem if you need to look up into something at close range. The reading part of the lens being at the bottom does not lend itself the looking up at anything close.

BTW, I had a trial of multi-focal contact lenses 3 or 4 years ago. The methodology is that they get your distance vision correct first and that was brilliant. Then they add in the reading bit so you end up with two concentric lens in the contact lens. That was when the problems stated. As soon as they started to put the reading bit in the mix, not only could I not read or see the computer screen properly but the distance vision went off as well. The concept of multi-focal contacts is great but I just couldn't see with the.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just a big "thumbs up" for my Optilabs glasses. I've got used to them now and hardly notice I'm wearing them.
500miles done since buying them and wearing them for all of those miles. :D

Good frames, good optics, and a good fit.
Mick F. Cornwall
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

I've had the Cobra and Serengeti frames. I prefer the Serengeti frames because I can look out the corner of my eye behind me without the frames obscuring the view. The Cobra's have this sort of fin thing at the bottom the frame each side, which gets in the way. I lived with it for a couple of years because I didn't know better, but when I wear them now I find looking behind disconcerting.

Do others here always look right around, or just a corner of the eye thing? Of course, I'd look right around if I was doing a critical move.

I don't know how I'd cope with the frames that have the much thicker arms.
David_S

Post by David_S »

Mick F wrote:Just a big "thumbs up" for my Optilabs glasses. I've got used to them now and hardly notice I'm wearing them.

Do they steam up?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

CREPELLO wrote:The Cobra's have this sort of fin thing at the bottom the frame each side
I have Blaze frames which have the same feature. It means I have to turn further to look behind and I agree with you that it is a right pain. I might even cut them off eventually. I've had these Blaze only about 8 months so they are a bit new to be butchering. When I got them, one lens was a bit loose in the frame. I returned them and they were back in my hands only 2 days after posting them out.

I still have my old Optilabs which are about 10 years old. The paint has peeled away from much of the frame due to sweat I expect, but the lenses are still unmarked.

Do they mist up - yes, when you stop at traffic lights for example where it is more than a few seconds, but they clear very quickly especially if you turn your head a little to increase airflow around the back.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

David_S wrote:
Mick F wrote:Just a big "thumbs up" for my Optilabs glasses. I've got used to them now and hardly notice I'm wearing them.

Do they steam up?
In the warm and humid weather we've had recently, yes, but only when I stop for a few minutes. As soon as I get moving, they auto-clear.

The lenses are water-repellent, so even after it rains, they clear quickly. Previous cycling glasses I've used stayed wet and had deposits on them so needed cleaning. These Optilabs lenses don't suffer from that at all.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
Just thinking about the steaming up problem .....

Optilabs will send you out as many frames as you want to try. They'll send three at a time, but I went through that twice before picking the frames I wanted. The first ones I wanted fitted better but they weren't suitable for my inter-optical distance as mine is quite small.

The frames I chose at first - the non-suitable ones - fitted so well they actually did steam up because they were held very close to my face. Had those been suitable, Optilabs said that they could open up the arms a bit so it didn't clamp up so neatly. This would have given ventilation behind to clear the misting.

The one's I eventually bought haven't suffered at all ....... unless I'm hot and sweaty and stop for a while, but they clear almost immediately once I'm riding again.
Mick F. Cornwall
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

Just thought I should give you all a review of my Optilabs glasses. I got them earlier this year after using Specialized Helix sunnies with an RX insert. I never liked them as the right lens of the insert always got smudged by my eyelashes.

The Optilabs glasses are Serengeti frames, picked after being sent two sets of three to choose from. The lenses are photochromic varifocals and they are great. I can see distance and read OK with them. I used them on my recent Dover to Cape Wrath tour and can hardly fault them. The only minor niggle is that the nose bridge is very wide but I cured this by fitting a couple of stick on nose pads I got from the local opticians.

I have been talking to Optilabs recently about getting some prescription sunnies for flying. Photochromic and poloarised lenses are frowned on by the CAA. I emailed Optilabs to ask if they could do glasses with ordinary, graduated tint. The reply was affirmative, just not enough space on the website for all the options. Will be ordering some Aviators soon.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
David_S

Post by David_S »

I'm looking at their selection. I notice there's a fundamental choice to be made. Sports style where prescriptive lens sits behind a 'shield' With these it is possible to change the shade of the shield for the conditions. I have used cheap versions of this style with disposal contacts whilst cycling. Or the alternative a more conventional spectacle with a choice of lens including photochromic and the 'ultra 2000' . Anyone have any views on this choice.
SteveHunter

Post by SteveHunter »

I'm wondering about this at the moment. I have a good pair of wrap around prescription sunglasses which I usually wear. As the winter and darker nights are drawing in I find myself wearing my glasses which are terrible when it rains.
I'm seriously thinking about the ones where the prescriptive lens sits behind the 'shield'.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

SteveHunter wrote:I'm wondering about this at the moment. I have a good pair of wrap around prescription sunglasses which I usually wear. As the winter and darker nights are drawing in I find myself wearing my glasses which are terrible when it rains.
I'm seriously thinking about the ones where the prescriptive lens sits behind the 'shield'.

Then you'll have 4 layers to have droplets on, tried it myself and it didn't work - even worse for misting as the three inner surfaces fog up not just the one!
David_S

Post by David_S »

wirral_cyclist wrote:
SteveHunter wrote:I'm wondering about this at the moment. I have a good pair of wrap around prescription sunglasses which I usually wear. As the winter and darker nights are drawing in I find myself wearing my glasses which are terrible when it rains.

Then you'll have 4 layers to have droplets on, tried it myself and it didn't work - even worse for misting as the three inner surfaces fog up not just the one!

So in your experience the prescription lens mists up on both sides, and inner side of the shield?
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I recently bought another pair of Optilabs sunglasses. I broke my originals (6 years old) and needed a replacement pair quickly. I chose the Blaze frames with photochromatic lenses and ordered them on a Tuesday afternoon. They were delivered on the following Saturday morning, despite being quoted a 2 week delivery time, which is excellent. I've been using them for about a month now and I'm really pleased with them. They do steam up a little when I stop but clear as soon as I set off again. Vision is good and the darkness varies with the amount of light. Very dark in bright sunlight and a greyish tint in normal daylight. I went for photocromatics so that I can use them at night (important at this time of year as it's dark on both legs of the commute).

Just missed out on their £20 off Christmas offer, but I needed mine quickly so couldn't afford to wait. If you order before 31st December you get £20 off.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com