Lidl Cycling Kit

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
hexhome

Lidl Cycling Kit

Post by hexhome »

Unable to resist, I entered Lidl and left having purchased a pair of padded tights, a long sleeve jersey and a pair of gel gloves. The whole lot set me back less than £22. Of course, it's only a bargain if the goods are fit for purpose!

I've just spent a couple of hours out in my new kit. The fit is very snug, possibly a little tighter than the size on the label but the fit is very good for me. The gloves in particular were available in lots of sizes, including half sizes.

I'll start with the gloves; they are a full glove made from quite a heavy polyester with an 'elastone' backing. They feel a little cumbersome and don't allow very free hand movement. The gel pads are well placed. In use, they were actually quite comfortable with the gel pad working well. I'd done some hours on the bike this week and my hands were a little sore, the gloves worked well at keeping discomfort at bay. They are however, very warm and don't breath. They are left soggy inside after a couple of hours use. I shall be cutting the finger ends off as I prefer this type of glove. At £3.99, I'm not too worried at spoiling them!

The long sleeve jersey is very well designed, a very good fit and with lots of useful pockets in the usual places. This includes a zipped pocked. It has grips on the waist and is plenty long enough for me at least. Whilst slightly heavier polyester is used in places, the wind still seems to go right through it, maybe autumn is setting in? The wicking wasn't great, but certainly not the worst. It's a very usable garment.

The tights; these were outstanding for the cost. They are constructed with polyester on the back panels and a elastic mix on the front. The front was thicker material and quite grippy and warm. The back was light and very comfortable to move in. They have a 'coolmax' pad, grips on the ankles, zips on the lower leg and quite good styling. There was a slight compression effect on the thighs and knees which I felt some benefit from. As far as comfort is concerned these are at least as comfortable as anything else I have worn and possibly better. They are going to be a favourite through the autumn.

My conclusion; gloves pretty good, jersey pretty good, tights outstanding.
easyroller

Re: Lidl Cycling Kit

Post by easyroller »

I went down to LIDL too! :)

Went mainly to look at the Pannier set but wasn't really impressed... I bought a pair of the winter gloves and a soft shell jacket for the Missus. One thing that wasn't on the website was the sports sunglasses. For £7.99 I had to grab a pair. There were two different styles, full frame and half frame. They have a removable foam liner to keep the wind/bugs out and three different lenses plus a storage case. Very comfortable.
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

Don't cut the fingers off the gloves, they fall apart :roll:
Benethi

Post by Benethi »

You should take them back as not fit for purpose :D

I got some of the ergo bar grips. Pretty much indistinguishable from the Specialized version...
"Frankly, I’m suspicious of anyone who has a strong opinion on a complicated issue" - Scott Adams
Photos:
Scott's Travels 2010
Sparky's Travels 2012
Sparky's Travels 2013
:)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi
Just been in Lidl and they have running socks with reinforced toes and heel make ideal cycling socks, they have little cuff if you like them like that, so just come up to your shoe cuff. The one I picked was the white style higher cuff, colours at Torquay were black &grey & green & black.
I have been using the same and find them good, used them on my day rides of 168 & 215 miles and remained comfy all day. @ £ 2.49 size 43 - 44 is a good 43 shoe.

Also they have some performance running tops in a nice blue they have a more open weave material so breath easier maybe to easy for other than swealtering days. @ £ 4.99 Large is 22 " - 22.5 " armpit to pit but they are more parralel than cycling tops.

Rucksacs are'nt bad either but 6.5 litres.
http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?id=347
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Torquay lidl still has cycling shorts @ £ 5.99 and cycle computers at same price I think, wireless I am sure, I use one of theirs on my bike it also has kcal readings for the weight watchers.
Gloves are'nt as good as some of their past sales.
Graham

Post by Graham »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Torquay lidl still has cycling shorts @ £ 5.99 . . . .

The material seemed rather lightweight. I didn't think that they would be sufficiently durable for a regular rider.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Maybe I am not looking at the same shorts ?
They look like the same quality and thickness as the ones I use which I have used for several years now.
If you used them daily then they might not last a year, I use mine three times a week say eight / nine hours riding a week.
So thats only fifty full days a year, I also use two pairs (not both at once) doing 13 miles a day this year they are still good, and expect them to last into next year. They are ok but for the club / serious rider maybe they prefer thicker.
Suits me but I do where underwear :) Even if my last ride me pants were inside out :? no wonder it rubbed after 250 miles :lol:
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I've had socks, a short-sleeved cycling top, a workstand and a toolset from Lidl.

The socks are very good indeed - I've bought second and third pairs on the strength of the first.

The cycling top was amazingly cheap (can't remember exactly) but very good for the price, and certainly fit for purpose.

The workstand - well, not solid and firm for professional/commercial standard use in a bike shop, but for me - to look after and maintain my own bikes - it's brilliant so far.

The tools were, in my opinion, utter crap.

A cycling colleague has a wireless computer and he's delighted with it - it's in it's third year now.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I use Lidl cycling shorts and for the price very good.
Have used Lidl "CYLING" socks in the past and have about a dozen pairs of at least three generations and at £2.50 - £2.99 etc you will not buy this quality anywhere. Ebay is £ 7.50 and up.
I currently use Lidl shoes / Aldi "Crane" bearing in mind I dont do clippless and the Crane from Aldi I use on my double century day rides even 200 +.
The recent Gloves are not as good as some about 3 - 4 years ago.
Sports Glasses are great with several lenses.

Tool kits.....all my tools are individually purchased to do the job.......multi tools are pants....I have bought a few but never use them..........

Stands are perfect for the home mechanic.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Lidl has LSD rechargeables on 6th october, high power too.

As they are ready to use low self discharge they must be of good quality, otherwise they would not have good shelf life/
I am already using the AAA's 950 mah and the AA 2300 mah, for the last 6-7 months and seem good.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-249 ... l&id=16892