CTC Membership Services

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
Karen Sutton

Re: CTC Membership Services

Post by Karen Sutton »

robgul wrote:
AND - yes, getting details of new (or any) members from CTC is a challenge with the continual sheltering behind the Data Protection crap .... surely merely by joining most people would WANT to hear from the local group with which they can make contact or choose to ride with???????? We would like to make contact with all new members ....

If you have elected a Membership Registrar as part of being a Full Member Group then they should be receiving a monthly Membership database from Adrian Lawson at National Office. That only applies to Full Member Groups though, not informal groups (they operate under the Member Group like the old DA/Section set up)
ellis rowell

Post by ellis rowell »

Simon L6 wrote:I don't think 'Data Protection' is an excuse in this instance. I think it's a case of the National Office thinking 'what we have we hold'.

Of course this all presumes that the data is up to date. It isn't, as anybody who has tried to e-mail DA secretaries will know. We've been strenuous in the updating of our records, and keeping National Office informed and I doubt that the blank Annual Return has been sent to the right address more than once in five years. My recent round-robin e-mail to the DA contact addresses listed by National Office got a bunch of returns from non-existent e-mail addresses.

And Arvato do not apply themselves to gathering e-mail addresses - there is still a substantial slice of our membership roll that does not show an e-mail address. No DA can afford to post letters to members time and time again, and it really is incumbent on Arvato to get e-mail addresses from renewing members.

When I set up the Cambridge DA Website many years ago, I rented webspace with a "Host" and Officer's who needed email addresses were given an address. This was forwarded to their own email address. When the Officer changed it was forwarded to the new officer's address. In this way we have our own domain with addresses on that domain. But remember that there is a large minority in CTC that do not use computers.

Posting letters to members is an expensive way to go, many Groups do not have the funds for that. If that method of communication is decided on then maybe we need to have a much greater percentage of the subscription forwarded to local member groups (Capitation Grant). I have just posted a card to my cousin in the USA - 90p, I think he will get an email card next year.
-walsh-

Post by -walsh- »

how long does it take for the membership pack to come through? still waiting on mine!
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

-walsh- wrote:how long does it take for the membership pack to come through? still waiting on mine!

How long since you joined? It shouldn't take more than ten to fourteen days maximum. If it has been more than this contact them. Details on contacts section via home page of this website.
-walsh-

Post by -walsh- »

fourteenth day today, will see if anything comes tomorrow otherwise ill get on the blower!
-walsh-

Post by -walsh- »

all recieved!
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

one of the virtues of this forum is, for all their shyness, CTC high-ups do monitor these threads..........
robgul

Post by robgul »

Simon L6 wrote:one of the virtues of this forum is, for all their shyness, CTC high-ups do monitor these threads..........

Perhaps I might mention my outstanding application for a local club affiliation that has yet to be acknowledged .... should I perhaps wait in for a hand delivered missive this Friday ??

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

I've just renewed on-line for the first time. No confirmatory e-mail! How rubbish is that! Is this part of the reason why those folk who paid money in September are having to produce bank statements?
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

Simon L6 wrote:I've just renewed on-line for the first time. No confirmatory e-mail! How rubbish is that! Is this part of the reason why those folk who paid money in September are having to produce bank statements?

Interesting...

When did you renew? The reason I ask is that we were assured at the last Council meeting that this issue would be addressed.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I paid my subscription - at the grumpy old git rate - only the other day. I used a debit card online and although the card company sent me an email confimation of the transaction, I had nothing from the CTC.
Si

Post by Si »

I sent them a cheque for several hundred pounds*.

Before doing so they replied to all my emails within an hour or so of sending and were extremely helpful.

Once the the cheque had been cashed it went quiet and I had to go chasing up the new card etc.

*(although the more I read on the charity thread the more I am regretting it.....Hotel California)
-walsh-

Post by -walsh- »

When I joined everything was fine I recieved my members pack too. however someone elses was sent at the same time to my adress!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

That reminds me, all my stuff came through OK - or so I thought. What happened to my introduction to another cyclist? I hope this is not one more example of discrimination against us older end people. :wink:
workhard

Post by workhard »

This thread has got very long and complicated. Can't the 'high ups' mandate that a new board be created to facilitate discussion about the membership service standards? :twisted: