New Group: Salford area of Manchester

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
chris3vic

New Group: Salford area of Manchester

Post by chris3vic »

I've been meaning to kick this off for a good while, but after a few years of a mix of solo cycling, the occasional informal group cycle, or travelling daft distances to join other groups - I really want to see if I can get a group together for the above area, informal at first but later, maybe more :D . I live in Swinton, so I'm looking at a Salford based group, but expect the area to cater for other nearby localities such as Trafford, Prestwich etc which are not well represented by touring clubs - and when I say touring club that's exactly what I mean - I don't want to start a racing club or anything like that - just a social, easy going group that runs at a reasonable pace.

So firstly, is anyone actually interested? I've asked this before on here and got one or two people interested and a couple of people i sometimes ride with locally are already confirmed, but it was a while ago when i asked on here so I guess I'm asking again.

Secondly, the only way I can think of kicking this off is to actually go out on some Sunday rides just like a real club and see if its a goer 8).

If there's interest, in the next few weeks I volunteer to lead a 'pilot' run to get things going and we can see where things end up. It's bad timing because I have a holiday coming up next week, but I'll be riding on June 21st and June 28th. Probably to Delamere and Ribchester respectively but I'm open to any suggestions. My gut reaction is to meet at either Swinton Town Hall or Media City - but again, that depends on everyone else involved.

This area is severely lacking a touring club so please get in touch if you're interested.

Chris
santoscyclist

Re: New Group: Salford area of Manchester

Post by santoscyclist »

Hi mate

Definitely interested in joining you. Based in Salford myself, and had wondered how to get in touch with fellow cyclists in the area.

Cheers

Eric
chris3vic

Post by chris3vic »

Great. PM'd you.
chris3vic

Post by chris3vic »

Update: I have requested Salford Council to promote this group at their next cycle forum, and to put the word out to their members. I have also offered to go to the next forum to raise it as AOB.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I'm currently on the verge of leaving my club due to their racy must go faster attitude to cycling and numerous cancelled or diverted rides. 16mph into a 20mph headwind is difficult enough without it being on a 50lb tourer!
My average speed lately has been around 11-12mph and as long as you don't mind a non-talkative (I'm the one who never speaks until comfortable with others (difficult due to anxiety)) slow diabetic (hypo's are common), I can join every other Sunday.
I currently live in Bolton but the future missus lives in Urmston, 5 mins from that oasis of incredibly outdated bad taste, the Trafford Centre.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
chris3vic

Post by chris3vic »

Vantage wrote:I'm currently on the verge of leaving my club due to their racy must go faster attitude to cycling and numerous cancelled or diverted rides. 16mph into a 20mph headwind is difficult enough without it being on a 50lb tourer!
My average speed lately has been around 11-12mph and as long as you don't mind a non-talkative (I'm the one who never speaks until comfortable with others (difficult due to anxiety)) slow diabetic (hypo's are common), I can join every other Sunday.
I currently live in Bolton but the future missus lives in Urmston, 5 mins from that oasis of incredibly outdated bad taste, the Trafford Centre.

The thing I've always enjoyed about the "touring " groups I have cycled with is their inclusive and welcoming nature which I find does not always mirror real life group situations! With that in mind you are of course welcome. After all, it takes all sorts of people and that's what makes things interesting.

I am not bothered about racing. I don't want to be the one to start a racing group. I too average 12-15 mph. Depends on the day and the run. It's not about fitness but more about how I enjoy my cycling.

Pm me your email address and I'll add you to the mailing list to keep you in the loop.

Chris
RickH

Post by RickH »

chris3vic wrote:Update: I have requested Salford Council to promote this group at their next cycle forum, and to put the word out to their members. I have also offered to go to the next forum to raise it as AOB.

You could get the group listed on the Transport for Greater Manchester Cycling pages (http://www.tgfm.com/cycling). They have a Clubs and Groups listing (link at the bottom of the page) and send out a monthly newsletter that you might be able to get a mention in if you ask nicely. :D There is an email address & a phone number for the cycling team on the Contact Us page.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Philr99

Post by Philr99 »

Does anyone know what's happened to this?

I live in Swinton area and keen to get out.

Cheers,

Phil
Last edited by Philr99 on 9 Sep 2015, 5:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I've heard didly squat since pm-ing Chris about this.
I think it's fallen flat on its face.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Philr99

Post by Philr99 »

Bit of a shame, seemed like a good idea. I'll send him a message and see if I get a reply

Cheers.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
chris3vic

Post by chris3vic »

Hey all,

This got put on the back-burner because I got myself an epigastric hernia, which got repaired but sadly stopped me from cycling. Also there was so little interest I wasn't sure it was worth it.

Looks like theres a new club in town - Vorpal has provided the link, so I'm going to PM them, see what they''re about, and whether they want help setting up the Touring bit.

Chris