Getting a parcel delivered on tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
cycling-rayb

Getting a parcel delivered on tour

Post by cycling-rayb »

I'm currently cycling in France and need a parcel delivered to me. How do I go about doing this as I have no address to send it to?

I am thinking of sending it to a tourist office or something like that?

Have any of you tried this before or have any other suggestions?
simonhill

Re: Getting a parcel delivered on tour

Post by simonhill »

The old way was poste restante. It is delivered to a post office and you collect it from there. Not as common as it used to be,but I think it is possible. Go to local PO and ask them. Hopefully they can give you an address of a suitable office.

Otherwise an hotel, hostel, or campsite, etc. I would suggest contacting them first so they know what to expect.

Edit: I just googled poste restante France and got loads of info. Give it a try.
cycling-rayb

Post by cycling-rayb »

Yes, thank you. Just what I needed. I thought you would be able to do it, I just couldn't find the right information.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

simonhill wrote:The old way was poste restante. It is delivered to a post office and you collect it from there. Not as common as it used to be,but I think it is possible. Go to local PO and ask them. Hopefully they can give you an address of a suitable office.

Otherwise an hotel, hostel, or campsite, etc. I would suggest contacting them first so they know what to expect.

Edit: I just googled poste restante France and got loads of info. Give it a try.

I have used this in the UK successfully

Don't know about France
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

In my yoof when I worked in a hotel, we used to get parcels delivered to 'ghosts' or future guests. Then the guest or diner or barfly would arrive from who knows where and collect it from concierge.

I would recommend checking with the hotel, gite or campsite in advance so your parcel doesn't end up in lost property or the bin...b
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

If you're buying something online, many EU countries have their own version of collect +, where you can get your parcel delivered to a local shop/newsagent. Just specify delivery to a place where you will be in a few days then collect with your passport when you arrive. I've used this twice on tour with much success.