North Coast 500 - Scotland???

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
FarOeuf

Re: North Coast 500 - Scotland???

Post by FarOeuf »

I'm not sure there's any evidence that motorbikers are now using the route as a race track. Motorbikers (and everyone else) have been using these roads for years, nothing's changed except for a few adverts. Few motorbikers will do 500 miles in day either, so they will be spending time/cash on the route. And let's not forget, it's some cyclists that 'compete' on public roads with things like Strava.

I'm also not aware that VisitScotland are overly targetting cars, campers and motorbikes, at the expense of cyclists. Mark Beaumont was very publicly one of the first to support/advertise the route (and race around it in under 40 hours!). Hardly any of their imagery shows roads or bends, it's definitely far from 'fast driving culture'. They promote the motorbike itinerary as a 5 day trip, and the cyclists one (yes they promote cycling equally) as a 9 day trip, but they don't have a specific car/camper section.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but we need tourism here. And better something like the (egalitarian?) NC500 than a Disney World, or Trump golf course.

I hope the OP has a great time, and you get some great photos with big scenery and weather :-)
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

FarOeuf wrote:I'm not sure there's any evidence that motorbikers are now using the route as a race track.

I hope you are right, but couple of the B&B owners when I was there recently were talking about it, and the fact that some motor bikers were posting their best times, and they were well inside 12 hrs. Hope they were wrong
...simplicity...

Post by ...simplicity... »

Thanks for all your responses. I've ended up buying a map from one of the cycle store in Inverness which maps out North Scotland to a nice degree. Been reading quite a lot of different routes that spur off from the main route linked in my original post - so should be ample opportunity to go off on a few little detours.

With regards to the motorbikes, I had a similar experience when I toured the Outer Hebrides last year. In particular the Isle of Skye. They were whizzing round in groups, but apart from the noise (which I find really grating when your poodling along :shock: ) they were the same as cars, giving me plenty of room. I'll make sure to post photographs and experience on my return. Fingers crossed for some sunshine!!!
Jamiedyer

Post by Jamiedyer »

Having lived in this part of the world for a while now and regularly riding many of these roads, on the north and west coast particularly, I think its a good idea to bring tourists into the area. Having seen it evolve over the course of a summer now I have not really seen too much of a noticeable increase in tourists or traffic. One section on the western side I have ridden a couple of times now since spring and I did notice a marked increase in traffic on weekends. A single track, usually very quiet stretch of road was at one point getting a bit of a worry with motorbikes really pushing it, and then a load of older MG's on a club run or something, but clearly a lot of them don't normally drive on single track roads. Lots of near misses and reversing :roll:
To be fair and as I did say, besides these few times I haven't seen a real increase of any note and the car runs on a weekend are regular, as its always been with the motorbikes hauling pretty quickly. Decent roads out in the middle of nowhere for a large part, so they open it up. Who wouldn't?
I certainly wouldn't rely on it being signposted regularly on the western and northern extremes, it may be in the future but it isn't at the moment. Visit Scotland may have some cycling maps as mentioned but as far as promoted and especially in the printed press, it does seem to be targeting car drivers and motorhomes, especially locally.
I think all the highlands abound with great riding on and off road, and also realise I am most likely biased :D , but I have some great roads around me. Any new cycle route has got to be a good thing, and if it opens ideas to someone who hadn't thought about riding these roads before, then even better.

Jamie
sultzer

Post by sultzer »

i did john o groats to tongue , not for the faithearted , loaded cycle windy as hell , isolated in most areas .
Black isle section to inverness busy as hell
But that is cycling i guess
...simplicity...

Post by ...simplicity... »

HI All,

Thanks for all your input. With the date getting closer and the weather seemingly looking pretty positive :shock: , I've looked into the route a bit more. Would anyone have any extensions or reroutes on the below? It fundamentally follows the advertised route, but has a few queries and diversions:

Day 1
Train into Inverness for late afternoon - will just jump on the bike and try and make it as far as possible before dark - likely to be Beauly. (20)

Day 2

Beauly - Achansheen - Lochcarron. (45)

Day 3
Lochcarron - Apple Cross - Kinlowchewe (59)

Day 4
Kinlowchewe - Gairloch - Ullapool (76)

Day 5

Ullapool - Lochniver - Clashnessie - Kylesku - Scourie - Kinlochbervie (82)

Day 6
Kinlochbervie - Tongue - Melvich - Thorso (73)

Day 7
Thurso - Dunnet - John O G - Wick (55)

Day 8
Wick - Berriedale - Helmsdale - Dornoch (62)

Day 9
Down the A9 to Inverness for the Midday train home.

I realise this is practically identical to the suggested route. But with limited roads (which i like - reduces the likely scenario of me getting lost) - I was hoping some of the locals that have rode the course can suggest 'highlights', tough portions, worthy diversions, good campsites, lunch stops etc... There are plenty of suggestions on the site, but in my experience you can't beat first hand experience on here! Also, with regards to camping, I'm not really planning this too extensively in advance, as I'm under the impression most destinations will have an available campsite every 50 miles or so?

As with most trips, I've just had my map out on the floor mapping the route with a pen - always brings on the excitement!!!! :D :D :D

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Looks great but I hope you're fit - it is quite strenuous in places.

Day 1 - maybe a typo but Inverness to Beauly along the south of the firth (on the old A9) is only 12 miles.

Day 3 is quite strenuous. We all know about the Bealach but the coast road between Applecross and Sheilaig has lots of short sharp climbs that can get a bit wearing...

Day 5 Lochinver to Kylesku is also hard work though I think there have been some 'improvements' of that road since I rode it over 30 years ago.

Take good lights in case you find yourself riding after sunset. Have a great time and let us know how you get on.
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Sounds great ! and good for camping this time of year ( no midges !!! ) if ever you've camped when they are about you'll appreciate what I mean !! As mentioned elsewhere the north can be a tad windy . but as long as you've got the right gear , September here in Scotland has being the best month of the summer that never was !! by far , good luck !! have a great time.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

LollyKat wrote:Day 3 is quite strenuous. We all know about the Bealach but the coast road between Applecross and Sheilaig has lots of short sharp climbs that can get a bit wearing...
Absolutely! :shock:

Some years ago, I rode from Lochcarron over to Applecross and up the coast via Fearnmore and Shieldaig and Kishorn back to Lochcarron.

It was hard enough over to Applecross :shock: but the coast road and back round was even harder.
Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 20.38.08.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 20.38.35.png
Mick F. Cornwall
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Great to see that route.
It's on my wish list.
May I ask how you made the ' screen grabs' and posted the here?
Thanks
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Your Day 9 is somewhat unimaginative and sure to leave you with some less than happy memories of the trip!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Agreed, but the scenic route via Bonar Bridge, the Struie, Muir of Ord and the Kessock Bridge is 61 miles compared to 41 direct, and he has a train to catch!
Ron

Post by Ron »

LollyKat wrote: 61 miles compared to 41 direct, and he has a train to catch!

These are factors I would never have considered relevant to cycle touring :D :D
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Ha, lucky you! All my tours seem to involve a train at one end or the other, frequently both. And given that bike spaces have to be booked in advance, and there may not be many of them, and times are restricted......
nomm

Post by nomm »

I am planning to something similar next summer between July-Sept. I've done some B&B touring in the South West, but nothing camping yet.

Is GPS signal an issue in Scotland? Does anyone have any midge advice?