Touring Southern Spain in January

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sileebailey

Touring Southern Spain in January

Post by Sileebailey »

Hi there,

I am trying to find information on cycle tour routes in Spain that would be good in January.
I am planning a solo, self-supported trip ideally around 8 days of riding. I am trying to find a route that does not have too much car traffic.

I'm hoping there might be some folks who could give me some suggestions of areas so I can narrow my search a little. I would likely be riding on average 80km per day and am fine with climbing hills, my favorite terrain being rolling hills. I'm also open to other European countries if there is a better destination for that time of year.

Thank you!
FarOeuf

Re: Touring Southern Spain in January

Post by FarOeuf »

In southern Spain you might want to start with the Vías Verdes (green-ways, old railway line routes) http://www.viasverdes.com/en/itineraries/principal.asp , then pick up a local map (or Google Maps) and link a few together?

cheers,
Sileebailey

Post by Sileebailey »

Thank you! I'll take a look at that link!
robing

Post by robing »

Have a look at shane cycles website. He did the trans Andalucia one last winter and posted on this forum about it.
shane

Post by shane »

Ironically found this thread while googling something else, then spotted my name :oops:

My Spain blogs are here >>> http://www.shanecycles.com/category/bikepacking/ and the transandalucia website is worth a look too >>> http://www.transandalus.org/index.php?lang=en

If you're more into an on road route then just connect the towns they mention via quiet roads. Malaga and Granada are beautiful if you don't mind a lot of climbing.

I'm hoping to go back and finish the route sometime between now and Easter.....
HarryD

Post by HarryD »

Hi
You don't say where you'll be starting from but here's my pennyworth

Weather wise expect it to be warmer & drier further west. Have spent some great new years cycling based in Arcos de la Frontera or Ronda

It is mountainous between the Mediterranean and a line joining Arcos dlF, Olvera, Antequera and Granada. There are more rolling roads cutting through these mountains but can be busy - but far from UK busy. If starting from Malaga you'll be away from the coastal sprawl after a couple of hours.

North of this line the hills are more rolling with the occasional challenge. This rolling nature eases north of a line joining Moron dlF, Puente-Genil, Montilla, Baena to Jaen. You will have to like olive groves though. The Via Verde between Olvera and Villamartin is a treat. The area around Priego de Cordoba is worth a couple of days.

North of a line joining Sevilla and Cordoba is the Sierra Morena. This is a little visited area and well worth the effort particularly around Aracena. Rolling hills and quiet roads through oak forest. Also something of a wildlife haven. Also some of the best food around especially if you like hams.

Most of the smaller family run hotels/bars/restaurants will be open in January but in some areas there aren't that many so it may be worth planning ahead

Have a good trip and let us know how you got on

cheers, HarryD
hamster

Post by hamster »

Depending on how much sightseeing you want I suggest Granada-Cordoba-Seville. It has amazing things to see, plus attractive small towns along the way.