4 months in South East Asia

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Phil66

4 months in South East Asia

Post by Phil66 »

Hi Folks,

I have a 4 month trip coming up to South East Asia. The plan is to head north from Bangkok towards Chiang Ria and then cross into Laos. I’m not bothered about going to Luang Prabang as I’ve been there before, but have a keen interest on exploring the area around Phonsavan.
There seems to be two options in Laos, the route 2 from Muang Ngeun or the route 3 from Huay Xai. I’d like to ask if anybody has experience of either of the routes and what I should expect. Is one route more hilly than the other? (I fully appreciate this is a very mountainous area.) What’s the distance’s between accommodation like? 80km a day is my ideal but I can do 160km if needs be. I’d be grateful for any info.
Also, is there anything on route north in Thailand that I should make an effort to see. I enjoy the country side and the feel of the jungle, temples and parks of lesser visited areas. Not overly keen on very touristy areas.

Thanks in advance.

Phil.
simonhill

Re: 4 months in South East Asia

Post by simonhill »

I've ridden both routes in Lao and I think the big deciding factor is where do you want to cross from Thailand. Also do you want a few more (tourist type) facilities eg decent food, accommodation and company.

Highway 2 up from Pak Beng is a pleasant road, slowly climbing. I rode it about 10 years ago just after it was paved and it was very interesting as few westerners had passed that way outside of a vehicle. Probably a lot different now. As said before, there is accom half way. I don't know what the route from Thai to Pak Beng is like, you may want to see how easy that bit is. Also that part of N Thailand is pretty wild and remote (for Thailand!) with few facilities, but still doa-able ( I was riding there earlier this year).

Route 3 from Huay Xai to Luan Nam Tha is the main route for tourists and also to and from China, although still very quiet by our standards. The state of the road varies, it has been rebuilt twice and hopefully after proper Chinese construction work is now in good shape. Two accom stops to break journey to LNT. From LNT it is a pleasant side trip ride to Muang Sing on the Chinese border - a bit touristy, but worth an overnight stop.

From LNT to Udom Xai some of the road seems to be permanently under construction. You can do in a day, but I would recommend 2 as there is a big hill en route.

From Pak Mong all the way to Phonsavan the road is paved and a great ride, but plenty of big hills. A detour to Xam Neua for the old wartime govt HQ in the caves at Vieng Xai is recommended. You can bus one way to avoid repeat cycling. This is a tough ride! Be careful of wandering off road in this area as there is lots of UXO (unexploded ordnance).

From Phonsavan some are now taking the new route south to Pakxan, but as Chou said, some of it is rough. The more common route of H7 to H13 is a good ride. I rode 7 above cloud level with the peaks just showing through. H13 all the way to Vientiane is an easy run, mostly downhill as far as Vang Vieng.

Re Thailand:
Don't cycle out of Bkk, get the train. You may want to get it all the way to Chiang Mai as much of central Thailand is flat and tedious to cycle.
Check re entry requirements. You get a 30 day entry card, but many airlines insist on you having a return or onward ticket within the 30 days. Look at the Thai branch of TT for more info.

NB also posted on Lonely Plnet on your bike site, hence some of my references to already mentioned.