Cycling Glasgow to Isle of Skye

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
brendography

Cycling Glasgow to Isle of Skye

Post by brendography »

Hey gang,

Planning to cycle this way over two days next week and I was wondering if anyone has any route suggestions? I'll be using a garmin, so navigation not a problem, but I do understand the big roads are often the only roads in the highlands. Happy to be proved wrong on this. The A82 not great fun, right? Any other options?

Thanks
PH

Re: Cycling Glasgow to Isle of Skye

Post by PH »

The A82 is used by a lot of cyclists and everyone else, it's incredibly scenic and can be extremely busy with very few passing places. I'm glad to have ridden it, but can't see me doing so again.
I'd choose to go via Mull, and use this website to plan the route;
http://cycle.travel/map
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

That's quite a tough couple of days whichever way you go. The best part of 200miles I would say.

The usual way to avoid the A82 is to head for Ardrossanand and take the ferry to Arran. From there cross to Kintyre and head towards Oban.

From Oban there are several options. You could cross to Mull and onward to Malaig using either the Fishnish ferry to Lochaline or the Tobermory ferry to Kilchoan. Alternatively continue on towards Fort William and take the ferry at the Corran Narrows and onwards to Malaig.
brendography

Post by brendography »

Possible route - http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/828138085 Any amendments to make it a little nicer?
PH

Post by PH »

brendography wrote:Possible route - http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/828138085 Any amendments to make it a little nicer?

Not public
brendography

Post by brendography »

Thanks, public now
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

If you're going to do the A82 Loch Lomondside from Tarbet nothwards, you might as well save some miles and do the whole of L Lomond on A82. The bit S of Tarbet has fast, heavy traffic, but it is wide with generally good sight lines. North of Tarbet the traffic is almost as heavy but the road is narrow and winding and you are likely to get stupid overtakes from frustrated drivers (I've never cycled this bit - and I have no intention of doing so.)

Unfortunately, pleasanter alternatives are going to be significantly longer. Possibilities are via Arran as already mentioned; or Gouock, ferry to Hunter's Quay, make your way N by convoluted route to Oban and beyond; or further eastwards via Callander to Crianlarich.
PH

Post by PH »

That's fine as the A82 route, the only thing I'd recommend is you try and do the Tyndrum to Glencoe section early morning or evening when it might be a bit less busy. You could also cross on the Corran ferry (Check times) and use the A861 rather than going through Fort William.
brendography

Post by brendography »

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm fairly keen to avoid ferries, and happy to do extra miles to avoid the busiest roads.

This route I've created looks better I think http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/828351491/ Includes crossing to Corran.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I'm not sure you gain much by going via Gare Loch and Loch Long. The portion of the A82, alongside the southern end Loch Lomond that you are by-passing, can be avoided by using the excellent off road path that mostly follows the old road there. I would be more concerned with the section of A82 north of Tarbet at the northern end of the Loch. It is narrow and winding with poor sight lines. It gets very busy at times with lots of coaches.

I've cycled the A82 and found it OK. You could still by-pass FW by taking the Corran ferry as I mentioned in my first reply.

Edit:-I see others have beaten me to it.
brendography

Post by brendography »

Ok thanks. Any suggestions to where I should join the A82? Balloch?
khain

Post by khain »

The path along Loch Lomond goes up to Tarbet I think. Join the A82 there. It's very busy before that.
robing

Post by robing »

Why the rush? 2 days is madness.
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

brendography wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. I'm fairly keen to avoid ferries, and happy to do extra miles to avoid the busiest roads.

This route I've created looks better I think http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/828351491/ Includes crossing to Corran.

That looks OK to me. Still some main roads but nothing too unpleasant - and the scenery will be good.

My problem is, I look at a route like that and start thinking of all sorts of interesting diversions, so that the planned 2 days becomes 3, or 4, or 5 ...
PH

Post by PH »

robing wrote:Why the rush? 2 days is madness.

Looking at you blog I see you did several 70+ mile days with loads of camping gear and some serious climbing.
It's hard to see how you'd consider that sane and Brendan's 177 miles over two days as madness.