Netherlands Tour - Rig Statistics

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Surly Disc Trucker

Previously when I've packed up my panniers for a week's cycle camping or little tour, I've just used a handful of post it notes and lists. Then I progressed to using a spreadsheet. This time round I've made a spreadsheet with formulas so I can keep my left and right, fore and aft weights in check for bike handling purposes. I've also got an inventory should anything get lost/nicked. It can be reviewed each trip out and for varying weather/climate. And if I'm honest it's pretty interesting. To me anyway. Here's a screenshot if you are interested too. I've hidden the actual list of items I've packed for the sake of your own sanity and my personal details are blacked out at the top for obvious reasons. On the bike I've got personal details all over the place in case I lose a bag etc or if I ride into a tree. Yellow is 'fore' and red is 'aft' by the way.

I'm also not a statistician or a pedant. I've just been rained off work and I'm playing with my iPad's spreadsheet app!

What are your thoughts? (Excuse the colour scheme)
Last edited by Heltor Chasca on 19 Aug 2015, 5:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
whoof

Re: Netherlands Tour - Rig Statistics

Post by whoof »

In excel try 'right click', 'format cell', 'number', 'decimal place'.
With your % front/rear it looks like you are arranging your luggage somewhere between femto- and picograms
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

whoof wrote:In excel try 'right click', 'format cell', 'number', 'decimal place'.
With your % front/rear it looks like you are arranging your luggage somewhere between femto- and picograms

Thank you. Happy with that function in excel. But I have used 'Numbers' which is an Apple app and I've tried to find a decimal point function when using a percentile formula but I can't find one. It's a new programme to me...b

Edit: I found it! My percentages appear normally now. Thanks for the pointer.
shane

Post by shane »

I like the geekiness of it, and better still if you keep track of what worked, didn't and didn't get used it makes packing easier and more efficient next time.

I recently did a short trip and found digging out an old packing list which I knew was perfect for the job made packing very easy :)

Just had to rearrange a little for a different baggage setup 8)

Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Thanks Shane. Geekiness it is indeed. I never really thought of it like that but as a gardener this is ground breaking stuff for me [emoji6]. But you are right it does take the chore out of packing and I can fine tune my kit next time round. There's room for wine, koffie milk and all sorts of other Dutch delights! By the way the table above includes all my water, fuel and 2 breakfasts and two evening meals.

I've just found a spare bag of rice and a ring of chorizo. Where's that going to go?
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Shane,is that your m-gineering bike, but with nice fast tyres and elegant French style mudguards?
shane

Post by shane »

@Wim.

Indeed, converted it to a single speed this year for commuting :), its a joy to ride even if the geometry looks a little strange with the skinny 26"x32 panracer tyres instead of 2" XR's :)
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Now I get it. As you know I have a rather similar bike from the same builder, and I am quite happy to use the 26x1.75 Paselas. In fact, I still found them on the small side on my tour this summer through the Czech Republic and Germany. German cycle routes are great, but partly because so much of them is forest trails and gravel (and in the Czech Republic the gravel was even coarser). So the next step will be the new Compass 26 inch tyres in 50+ mm, also made by Panaracer. My mudguards broke this summer, so it will also be a good excuse to invest in French style metal mudguards (Gilles Berthoud in my case, as I need them in 65 mm wide).
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

For added geekiness, you could also split your body weight front and rear, in your normal riding position
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

willem jongman wrote: German cycle routes are great, but partly because so much of them is forest trails and gravel (and in the Czech Republic the gravel was even coarser).

Have to say that it amuses me no end all this scaremongering about using 'narrow' tyres on these routes. If it really is a problem how come my 28c Conti Gatorskins coped with gravel roads, sand, grass and anything else sent their way on my recent Fresian tour (Rotterdam to Ribe)? No damage to the tyres (cuts etc), hardly any wear and i had a bit of slip once on a steel plate ferry deck! I hired a Dutch roadster for a day with 45c tyres and found no difference in grip over similar terrain (the bike was horrible to ride, no brakes to speak of, 0-10kph three weeks and cornering like the Queen Mary!)
Usually in Germany etc the bike i use has 25c tyres which may lose a little on comfort but have never been found wanting on the trails - i reckon 50% of most of my trips follow cycle routes on all manner of surfaces so i'm not being protective of the tyres.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!