Gwynedd CC proposal to close Barmouth Bridge to cyclists

james01

Re: Gwynedd CC proposal to close Barmouth Bridge to cyclists

Post by james01 »

Also http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-nort ... s-33905836.
Just as we've recovered from the Porthmadog bridge closure.....
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

To everyone except trains, not just cyclists.

Apparently they aren't collecting the 90p crossing charge, which previously covered the £30k per year plus collecting expenses they have to pay Network Rail. Surely it could be rounded up to a quid and coin-operated gate put in, if having gate-keeper has become too difficult. What idiocy.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Scope here for a huge public relations gain by Network Rail.
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Ridiculous proposal for such a minor saving!
Hugely popular with locals & visitors alike. Typical small minded LA thinking!
Why don't they get a volunteer group together to sort out maintenance?
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

John Holiday wrote:Why don't they get a volunteer group together to sort out maintenance?

Because it is an operational railway bridge owned by Network Rail?
whoof

Post by whoof »

Hi Alan, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I rode over it last year doing Bristol-Holyhead. It was one of the things I knew about before the trip and an element in my choosing the route. I have signed the petition and passed it on.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Having ridden across it about two weeks ago on my tour, it seemed to be a major access point from Barmouth to the Maddwach Trail (sp?) for both Pedestrians and Cyclists - I passed a lot of walkers heading towards the bridge once I crossed it, and passed lots of people - both walkers and families on bicycles - heading towards Dolgellau along the path.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I can see this turning into a battle between Gwynedd County Council, who want to close it and the local Barmouth Council who will want to keep it open as it generates so much trade for their local businesses.
We've ridden over it on numerous occasions and each time have cycled from Dolgellau over to Barmouth, where we have spent our money in the local cafes and shops.
I'm sure there must be a significant amount of people doing it the opposite way though, spending their money in Dolgellau.
So, if Dolgellau has it's own local council then they'll be wanting to keep it open too.

I thought it was less than 90p when we last paid; although the last couple of times we crossed, the ticket collectors were having a half-day off. :lol:
PH

Post by PH »

Signed the petition, ridden across it and enjoyed doing so a couple of times, it'd be a shame to see it closed and I think short sighted.
But the local council are facing £9m of cuts, that's what's really disgraceful.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

PH wrote:Signed the petition, ridden across it and enjoyed doing so a couple of times, it'd be a shame to see it closed and I think short sighted.
But the local council are facing £9m of cuts, that's what's really disgraceful.

Agreed 100% about the cuts.

Having read the article, I think the whole thing has a bit of a whiff of sabre rattling about it - i.e., threaten to close the bridge, and then maybe other funding will be forthcoming. It's so barking mad an idea to close it, I can't see any other reason for suggesting it.
AlanInBangor

Post by AlanInBangor »

Flinders wrote:Having read the article, I think the whole thing has a bit of a whiff of sabre rattling about it - i.e., threaten to close the bridge, and then maybe other funding will be forthcoming. It's so barking mad an idea to close it, I can't see any other reason for suggesting it.

I don't know what their game is, they're also now proposing to close the bridge linking Caernarfon with the tennis courts, childrens playground and the quiet road along the Menai Strait which I often use for a bike ride to the coast. Their proposals seem designed to upset the maximum number of people for a relatively trivial saving.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Maybe they just want to destroy the tourist trade....if so, they're going the right way about it.
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

Having connections in the area, I know there are elements in the council who see any form of visitor as a threat to the Welsh language.
This nonsense was taken very seriously when improvements to Pwhelli marina were wanted. More boats-more visitors-more jobs etc. Damaging to the Welsh language.
One cannot get a job with a council in north wales without speaking Welsh to a good standard. Its racist. It illegal. Except in north wales where hey are still in the dark ages. No wonder that no sizeable employer will move there even if offered a grant, no staff will go with them as the kids will struggle at school, where maths and english are taught in welsh. Kids even get told off for speaking in English in the playground.

I am not making this up.

Baaaaa- humbug.