Tour video of London (Outskirts) to Scotland

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
RobCyclist

Tour video of London (Outskirts) to Scotland

Post by RobCyclist »

Hi guys, not sure if this is the best place to share tour videos. But if anyone is interested; I've just come back from a 500 mile cycle tour originally starting from London (well the outskirts of the city) to the English-Scottish border. Via: Milton Keynes, Royal Leamington Spa, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Market Drayton, Chester, Wales, Liverpool, Blackpool, Lancaster and Carlisle. I filmed various parts along the way with my two action cameras, mainly so that I can look back upon it... but here is the link for those that may happen to be interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq4msGljxjw

Originally I was hoping to cycle from London to the west coast of Ireland (Galway) [getting a ferry from Liverpool to Dublin - but I later found out that this ferry doesn't allow bicycles to my annoyance, so that plan went down the drain]. As a result the Scotland tour went ahead, as to me it was the next most logical place from Liverpool.

The route went along the Grand Union Canal / Shropshire union canal to Market Drayton through Birmingham, Wolverhampton etc (I wouldn't recommend going the entirety of these canals though as a big proportion of the surface that we went along was just grass and very bumpy). After Drayton, me and my dad got sick of the canals so decided to go along a national cycle network to Wales and then onto Liverpool which was pretty decent and a lot faster :) After this I made my way along the coast to Southport/ Blackpool. And up through the lake district into Scotland :)

The weather was on and off. The worse days were in the lake district and blackpool (for the rain). But I did enjoy every day of it (8 days). Camping was also alright, stayed in some camp sites and other times by canal banks etc. If anyone has any questions or what not about the cycle tour then I would be happy to answer.

Cheers,
Rob
Heltor Chasca

Re: Tour video of London (Outskirts) to Scotland

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Glad you enjoyed yourself. Sadly the link doesn't work on my device.
jags

Post by jags »

brilliant thanks for posting.
did you camp or BnB ,what camera did u use to film that.

anyway enough questions i enjoyed that even tho the music was a bit much for me im a bob dylan fan lol sorry.pity u didn't get to my part of the world Ireland great place for cycling but weather is mostly hit and miss just like the UK.

jags.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Glad you enjoyed yourself. Sadly the link doesn't work on my device.

works for me
robing

Post by robing »

mercalia wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:Glad you enjoyed yourself. Sadly the link doesn't work on my device.

works for me

And me.
I recognised the Milton Keynes bit. I often go running by the Grand Union canal.
RobCyclist

Post by RobCyclist »

robing wrote:
mercalia wrote:

works for me

And me.
I recognised the Milton Keynes bit. I often go running by the Grand Union canal.

Ah cool stuff. Milton Keynes was a good town for cycling in, seemed like every road had a cycle path next to it.
Last edited by RobCyclist on 12 Aug 2015, 3:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobCyclist

Post by RobCyclist »

Thanks man, and that's probably because I used a few copyrighted songs (that I expected to have more complaints about lol).
Last edited by RobCyclist on 12 Aug 2015, 3:09pm, edited 2 times in total.
RobCyclist

Post by RobCyclist »

jags wrote:brilliant thanks for posting.
did you camp or BnB ,what camera did u use to film that.

anyway enough questions i enjoyed that even tho the music was a bit much for me im a bob dylan fan lol sorry.pity u didn't get to my part of the world Ireland great place for cycling but weather is mostly hit and miss just like the UK.

jags.

I camped for most days, often staying in camping club campsites as they seem to be quieter :) (except in Wolverhampton I stayed in hotel, which wasn't that great), so no BnB's. As for the camera, I used two Contour Roam 2's - which are cheaper alternatives to GoPros (around £119), and IMO they have a better design and the battery life is superior to the gopro (or at least use to be).

And sorry about the music aha, I thought as I was making it the likely audience might not enjoy the songs, so I added a slower foo fighters one in at Southport lol. Maybe next year I'll go to ireland :) Seems like an awesome place to cycle around.

Cheers
jags

Post by jags »

yes indeed west of ireland is stunning as long as the weather is good :wink:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

did u video the whole trip? if so would be a unique record to put it all up? I find the tidbits too little to make much sense, though better than nothing.
RobCyclist

Post by RobCyclist »

mercalia wrote:did u video the whole trip? if so would be a unique record to put it all up? I find the tidbits too little to make much sense, though better than nothing.

Nope, sadly not. I only recorded little sections along the trip as the battery of my action camera would have run out on the first day if I tried recording everything I'm afraid. I further condensed the footage that I recorded, I had around 5 or so hours of short random clips which I sorted through to make this video. Took a lot longer than I hoped to make it but oh well. I could upload everything that I recorded though if you're interested, but that upload would take a while, and would probably be a 1000 times more boring lol.