Large Volume 700c slick tyre

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
unreal1066

Large Volume 700c slick tyre

Post by unreal1066 »

Coming from a MTB bikes onto my first road bike I miss the security of a large volume tyre. I am taking my shortcuts through the woods especially as it is dry at the moment. I want it to be fairly slick as that is where the bike is mostly used. I have a 700c x 28 on the front and a 32 on the rear but its the front that I don't like being that thin. My mate on his touring bike has 700c x 42 specialized tyre that they don't make anymore.
Don't tell me not use it in the woods as I can do what I want with my own bike.

size 42 seems about right, any ideas?
Ray

Re: Large Volume 700c slick tyre

Post by Ray »

Does your bike have sufficient clearance for the type of tyre you'd like to fit? Why not try your mate's wheel in your bike?
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
irc

Post by irc »

unreal1066

Post by unreal1066 »

That's a good idea using his wheel. I think I have enough clearance Disc brakes and when I measured it was about 50mm wide and tall.
Who makes marathon supreme? schwarbe?
unreal1066

Post by unreal1066 »

Schwarbe make it, I've just used the link.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I taken to the woods the moors and green laning many times and on 37's which actually are only a real 32 :?

You say slick but how slick and what will it shave of time wise :?:

I would of thought that your MTB background would draw you there more often, so I would fit semi off road tyres and be happy with the versatility..........
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

unreal1066 wrote:Coming from a MTB bikes onto my first road bike I miss the security of a large volume tyre. I am taking my shortcuts through the woods especially as it is dry at the moment. I want it to be fairly slick as that is where the bike is mostly used. I have a 700c x 28 on the front and a 32 on the rear but its the front that I don't like being that thin. My mate on his touring bike has 700c x 42 specialized tyre that they don't make anymore.
Don't tell me not use it in the woods as I can do what I want with my own bike.

size 42 seems about right, any ideas?

Mold a lump of dough or similar around the current tyre to check how much clearance you have on top or around the sides (wider tyres are taller too)

A proper slick will be pretty scary if you encounter a patch of wet grass. I'd want a tyre profile with some texture, like Schwalbe little Jim, Panaracer Pasela etc.
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
Nigelrojo

Post by Nigelrojo »

I would try something like this:
http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/tour-reader/ ... preme.html

I've been touring on Schwalbe Marathon Duremes, size 50-622 (28 x 2.00). Good rolling resistance, fat enough to give a comfy ride and also tolerably good in the rough. The mudguard clearance is however very tight...
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

It depends on how slick you want, but the Continental Sport contacts are nice tyres.

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle ... tact.shtml
unreal1066

Post by unreal1066 »

Thanks for the advice I'm going to try the schwalbe land cruiser which comes in a good size and has good off road grip. I think it will give me security on wet roads as well.
3spd

Post by 3spd »

Vittoria Voyager Hypers, I run 37's but they also list a 40.
My worse day on my bike is better than my best day at work!
dakari-mane

Post by dakari-mane »

Did Wales earlier in the year with Schwalbe 29x2" tyres on a cannondale bad-boy. Totally awesome.

Am going to fit them to everything that'll take em.