Bought the bike!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
badgersarebold

Re: Bought the bike!

Post by badgersarebold »

Hey, give the guy a chance to get settled!!
I've just taken delivery myself of a 1976 Mercian KoM set up for racing (though I will be restricting my rides to non competition day trips). A very smooth ride, still - after nearly 40 years. .

I'm sure you will love riding yours.
Weimarunner

Post by Weimarunner »

Good luck with the new bikes, looking forward to some pics
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

badgersarebold wrote:Hey, give the guy a chance to get settled!!
I've just taken delivery myself of a 1976 Mercian KoM set up for racing (though I will be restricting my rides to non competition day trips). A very smooth ride, still - after nearly 40 years. .

I'm sure you will love riding yours.

Bah! Humbug!

Weekend is nearly over and still no pics......not that i care.......if you really loved us you would show us your pride and joy :( .......mother was right about you :(

:lol: :lol:
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

maxcherry wrote:
Bah! Humbug!

Weekend is nearly over and still no pics......not that i care.......if you really loved us you would show us your pride and joy :( .......mother was right about you :(

:lol: :lol:

Oh man, I'm sorry! My son has been in and out of hospital so I haven't even had a chance to ride it. :(
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

badgersarebold wrote:Hey, give the guy a chance to get settled!!

Girl :lol:

Congrats on your KoM! I'm glad I didn't let the nay sayers stop me and am looking forward to doing a lot of miles on mine.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Best of luck and think of the US in your future touring plans. There's a lot of good stuff over here and it's surprisingly easy to get here. I find British Airways from LHR takes some beating (cheaper airlines tend to be a pain about the bike). Check out the Adventure Cycling Association website.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

Thanks Pete Jack, I would love to tour more in the US. My first tour was from San Francisco to Santa Barbara in 3 days, which was too much. Couldn't sit for a week. I'd probably buy a 26" LHT over there and bring it back with me. My mom lives in BC so I am hoping to ride from the Okanagan down to So Calif. in the next few years.

So here is a pic of the bike! Sorry it took so long. I need to change the stem so I can ride in a more relaxed position but aside from that, I love it. It's really nippy, I was expecting it to feel more like an old plodder. Maybe it will once it's loaded up. All in all , it's a great quality ride. :D

PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Handsome bike. Hope you get thousands of miles out of it. Get the smallest small chain ring that will work with your derailer. Trust me, you might not need it that often but when you have to use it you'll be glad you have it once you start loaded touring.

The Golden Book for riding in BC is Cycling British Columbia by Paul Wood ISBN 978-0-9684826-2-9. There's lots of stuff in it that's near the border. I suppose if you are going to visit your mum you'll be flying into Vancouver or even Calgary but if you decide to fly into Seattle send me a PM and we'll get you sorted. I live 10 minutes from SeaTac airport (SEA) Here's my write up of a ride I did from the Canadian border to San Diego that was a blast.

Buying a bike here and taking it back at first glance looks a great idea because they can be a lot cheaper over here but it can be a PITA getting them back into the UK. Search this forum for stuff on this topic.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Hey, good to see you back here. That Mercian is a steal, but only for light touring. It is perfect for day rides to get you back into shape, or for hostel tours. With camping gear, you need to have a close look at discussions about the lightest and most compact gear there is. Also, look carefully what the widest tyre size would be that fits.
PH

Post by PH »

willem jongman wrote: only for light touring. It is perfect for day rides to get you back into shape, or for hostel tours.

What makes you think that? It looks like the touring model, 531ST and built to carry four panniers.
And lovely it looks too
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I am of the generation that started out on this type of bike (but at the time never could afford such a nice one). So I know such bikes were once considered full blown touring bikes, but conditions and technology have changed, now that main roads are no longer an option, and we have to tour on very minor orads and forest trails instead. So we need wider tyres, lower gears, better brakes etc. We now also have more oversized tubing options for a better handling bike when loaded. Without at least mildly oversized tubing the frame will handle much better with lighter loads. The narrow tyres are another drawback with a heavy load. You would need to inflate them pretty hard, and grip on gravel would not be great either. Enjoy it for what it is best at: fast and light touring.
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

You can't ride that bike!

You have to build a marble fireplace and mount the bike on top with spot lights pointed at it to show off it's true beauty 8)
If you get rid of the tv you will be able to put a row of seats in the room so passing CTC members can pop over and gaze at it as well.
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

32s will definitely fit, and possibly 35s. There is a whole lot of clearance. If the main weight is on a carry freedom trailer, will it not be good for the long hauls? :(
PH

Post by PH »

Thistle wrote:32s will definitely fit, and possibly 35s. There is a whole lot of clearance. If the main weight is on a carry freedom trailer, will it not be good for the long hauls? :(

Despite willem's opinion, that's what it was designed for. On another forum drossall has a photo of his loaded up with more stuff that most people will ever carry, maybe he'll post it here. If you're going to use a trailer, your bike is probably sturdier than it needs to be, MickF goes up and down the country with a more lightweight Mercian and a CF trailer. Enjoy your bike.
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

Thanks PH.

We did just buy this converted Dalesman for my son with the following specs (and no child carrier), is it better suited than the Mercian for paths etc? :

Claud Butler Dalesman 59cm frame Reynolds 631 steel
Thorn club tour forks
Orbit XL2 headset
Crank brothers flat bar
Shimano r550 levers
Deore M590 thumb shifters (right one currently seized)
Ergon gp4 grips
Brooks B17 saddle
mudguards
Shimano BR R550 cantilever brakes
Front wheel - Mavic A719 rim, 36 spoke, Shimano XT T780 dynamo hub, vittoria randonneur pro tyre
Rear wheel - Mavic A719 rim, 36 spoke, Shimano XT hub, vittoria Voyager Hyper tyre
Deore trekking triple (48/36/26) chainset with 175mm cranks, touring pedals, 11-32 9 speed cassette, deore rear shifter, Alivio front shifter.
Rear rack
Tubus Tara front rack
Busch and Muller Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U front light
Trelock Duo Flat Signal LS 820 rear brake light